PDA

View Full Version : New

Tracy123
25-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Hi im new! Im not yet a childminder but im looking into it! I wondered if i could get some advice, My grandahas just bought a property that used to be a shop in a little village opposite a primary school! It is in a great location and wanted to go into childminding. The shop has a flat upstairs which i would live in and downstairs would be more set out like a nursery as such. It all needs re-plastered etc... (alot of work needs done) So while i am doing all of these alterations is there anything that i must need etc.. like fire doors or anything?? I may aswell get it right now than re-doing it when ofsted tell me to.
I would be very grateful if you can help me. I am 21 and still currently work in the primary school across the road from the shop.
Thanks

francinejayne
25-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Well since most of us mind in our homes I don't see why you would need anything different to that you'd have in your house - assuming you were childminding and not opening a nursery? Yes you would need a fire escape just as every building does, and if I were you and I had a blank canvas so to speak I would consider the toilet, kitchen, flooring, outside area, inside play area, sleep area etc. It sounds like you could plan it to be really good! I'd love an area I didn't have to live in so I could keep my living area separate - oooh think of the craft displays you could have!!!!

Keep us posted!

Tracy123
25-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Yea i will be doing childminding maybe go into nursery later on in the years. I want to see how this takes off first. I have had a few people contact me already even though we havent even agreed anything yet (shows how fast news gets around.) So i know people will use me which is very good. Also very handy that the school is opposite.:)
I know i will have to live in it to do it which is why i would live upstairs and have the downstairs more set out for the children. I dont know wether i am aloud to do this though but i think it will be better for the child to access everything.
So in your house you didnt have to make any big changes?? Just the basic stair gates, toys etc...
Thanks for your reply :)

blue bear
26-08-2010, 09:05 AM
It is a small business so many reg's do not come into force.
But if you do turn into a nursery and employ more than 5 people there are many more regs. worth reading up on before you start. look up health and safety on the work place on google.

Things like having a tap that mixes the water to get a regular temp maybe worth considering as you are starting from fresh so to speak as this is a recomendation for a nursery but not a childminder.

Regular childminders have to live in the premises ( I knew a childminder that lived upstairs and childminded downstairs, think the kitchen was downstairs though) to qualify and take necessary precautions for safety of the children Stairgates etc. - get an eyfs book they are free it gives clear guildines, look up on the internet, you can download or ring and get one sent to you. 08456022260

We need to make reasonable adjustments to accomodate children's requirements, getting a step with a bar to help a child go to the toilet seems reasonable but knocking down walls and widening door ways to give wheelchair access could be considered unreasonable IYSWIM.

good luck, very exciting.

mama2three
26-08-2010, 10:23 AM
you may needd to check the designated use of the premises with local planning - it sounds like it may be commercial premises and in effect you want to change it to residential. Maybe a quick check with ofsted that this would be seen as childminding , Other than that it sounds ideal!

Tracy123
27-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Aw thanks for all the advice!! I will keep you posted!
Thanks again :thumbsup:
Tracy