PDA

View Full Version : How long should I wait?

Adiamond
25-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi, I will try and make this as brief as possible :blush:

I had a mum enquire back in April for a space starting the end of September for 3 full days a week, they came to visit and said they wanted me :) I told her that I would need a months fees as deposit (felt cheeky asking for a retainer!!!) she brought it around a couple of weeks later, but with my hols and her hols this didn't happen until well into June.

Anyway I am getting lots of enquires at the minute so I emailed her to confirm what days she needed me and she emailed me straight back also asking me when I wanted to do the settling in sessions? this was last Friday.
I emailed her back on Monday morning with 2 dates for settling in and asking her for confirmation of hours she requires. I haven't heard a thing back from her :mad:
The thing is I have had to turn work away because I am not 100% sure of when she needs me etc....... I do have a mobile number for her but when I ring it says this person is unavailable.

I cannot wait indefintley for her to get back to me the start date is 27th September but how much more work will I have to turn away?????

No contracts have been signed as yet...

What would you all do in this situation? x x x

aly
25-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I would maybe try and ring her agian and if poss leave a message stating you have had enquiries and if you dont get an answer make you will assume she doesnt need it and will give her space to someone else.

also email her and tell her you phoned and left the above message....you need to know like you say, but it may be that she is away?

rickysmiths
25-08-2010, 07:02 PM
You should have signed a contract before you accepted a deposit really. If she doesn't get in touch, she may be on holiday. As there is no contract, if a better and confirmed child comes along I would return her deposit with a letter explaining despite trying to contact her to confirm arrangements and sign contracts you have heard nothing and you are very sorry but there is no longer a place available for her child. Perhaps suggest some other local minders who have a space?

There is a woman arround here who currently is stringing along 3 minders (I think they think we don't talk to each other!!), she has agreeed to use all of them but not signed a contract with any and has gone on holiday and is due to return 2 days before care starts! I think she thinks with three irons in the fire someone will be available but she will be in for a shock because there have been so many inquiries that all three are now full. I don't know why some parents are so arrogant and rude.

fluffysocks
25-08-2010, 07:10 PM
i agree, one more phonecall and if you get to talk to her insist that if contracts are not signed by xx date then the deposit will be returned to her and space offered elsewhere. With no contract you do not have to hold the space providing you return the deposit. Also make sure you hand the deposit back in person and get her to sign to say she has recieved it.

if you dont get through then email saying the same.

x

Adiamond
26-08-2010, 08:18 AM
When I ring her it just says that soory thie person you are calling is unavailable then the line goes dead.

As for contracts, I said that when lo comes for settling in we will sit and fill in contracts and go through paperwork ect......

I have a lady coming today she wants 2 days a week but both these days fall on the days other mum supposedly wants me grrrrrr!!!!!!!! and I can't do both.........

When we talked about paying the deposit I made it very clear to her that the deposit is non-refundable and will be used to pay the final 4 weeks fees as and when this happens.

I am not sure what to do here, like I said before I can't keep this place open indefinatley for her I am loosing work waiting, but feel really bad because she has paid a deposit!!! x x x

x x x

Mouse
26-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I assume you have her address? You need to write a letter saying that as you have been unable to contact her to make arrangements for her child to start with you, you have no option but to offer the place to another child, unless you hear from her within the next few days (give an exact date).

You would have to return the deposit as you are the one withdrawing from the contract (I'd have thought that even though you don't have a written contract, you have agreed a verbal one by accepting her deposit). You can't really keep the deposit if you take on someone else & the place is no longer available.

em29
26-08-2010, 02:38 PM
It is difficult one because you haven't done a contract! How did you record the fact that you took a deposit - did you issue a receipt with non-refundable on it??
I am not sure if you have to return the deposit as such because she is the one that is unavailable. If you sent a letter to her recorded post with the information on asking her to respond within 48 hrs to arrange the settling in and she does not respond then I assume you can keep the deposit because she has taken up a space that has been held for her (i.e you are turning people away).
Having said that i could be completely wrong because the deposit was to secure a place and you have no withdrawn the place. Extremely complicated really. I would just return it and take on another asap.They cannot really contest you because there has been no contract signed and it is your word against theirs.

Mookins
26-08-2010, 06:54 PM
i would personally return the deposit wouldnt want the hassle if i kept it, signed delivery and take on another minee, cant afford to hang aroundxx

Adiamond
31-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Well after waiting a week she decided to email me back last night.

I had asked her to confirm what times she needed me to work, when she first contacted me she said that she would need me 3x week 8am - 5pm AT THE MOST!!!!!

she has now said that O will be coming to me 9am-6pm :eek: I know it is the same amount of hours BUT I do not work until 6pm anymore...

These are not the hours she asked me to keep open for her....

To be honest I am fed up with this woman she has been a pain from the start I really don't think I want to be working with her grrrrrrr..

p.s. I did issue her with a receipt saying non-refundable on it when she paid my deposit.

caz3007
31-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Just tell her the hours you agreed and that you dont work after 5

Adiamond
03-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi, I emailed this parent again telling her that these weren't the times we agreed she finally emailed me back today saying that if she dropped off at 8 she wouldn't get to uni on time so her dad will drop o off at 9am (she knew about this at the beginning of August) grrrrr why didn't she ask me????? and o will be collected at 6pm.

She then asked if this will be a problem................

1. I am not at home at 9am I don't get back from the school run until approx 9.20am.

2. I ONLY WORK UNTIL 5pm!!!!!

I think I am going to have to get my assertive head on with this one lol :eek:

Mookins
03-09-2010, 07:33 PM
omg...too much for the brain...does she not read her emails:(

think you need to write it in blocks highlieghted,flashing with noise AND underlined!!

I DO NOT WORK AFTER 5PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol:D

xx