PDA

View Full Version : Bounce and Rhyme

venus89
25-08-2010, 01:51 PM
We go to the library's bounce and rhyme group on a Wednesday morning - we have a couple of little booklets the library has made up of nursery rhymes, cuddly toys and musical instruments to play with.

Anyway, this morning we turn up and the librarian apologises - no books to sing from today. They've all had to be destroyed - all across the county - as they infringe copywrite laws.

We made ourselves feel better - after a bit of outrage and disbelief - by singing two banned songs - Baa Baa Black Sheep and Dingle Dangle Scarecrow :laughing:

FussyElmo
25-08-2010, 03:30 PM
We go to the library's bounce and rhyme group on a Wednesday morning - we have a couple of little booklets the library has made up of nursery rhymes, cuddly toys and musical instruments to play with.

Anyway, this morning we turn up and the librarian apologises - no books to sing from today. They've all had to be destroyed - all across the county - as they infringe copywrite laws.

We made ourselves feel better - after a bit of outrage and disbelief - by singing two banned songs - Baa Baa Black Sheep and Dingle Dangle Scarecrow :laughing:

Why are those nursery rhymes banned?

venus89
25-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Why are those nursery rhymes banned?

Baa Baa Black Sheep is apparently racist. Nobody knows about Dingle Dangle Scarecrow, though a friend suggests it may be more than his arms and legs that are dingly and dangly.......:blush:

sarah707
25-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Oh for goodness sake how silly :rolleyes:

venus89
25-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Quite. Since when were nursery rhymes copywritten?!

But she said that one Kent library had been fined £30,000 for breaching copywrite laws recently :eek:

karen m
25-08-2010, 07:14 PM
my mindees love both those rhymes and are always singing them

ChocolateChip
25-08-2010, 07:36 PM
How ridiculous, surely nursery rhymes don't 'belong' to anybody?
Our bounce and rhyme group is already under threat of closure down to costs, it doesn't need any more pressure to buckle under! :angry:

And as for the 'racist' angle that's just pathetic- if anything i would have said that the black sheep is popular because it's his wool they want :laughing:
If they want to be that pc why not add a verse of pink sheep, or green sheep like we do sometimes (purely for fun and learning, not for any so called political reason)

venus89
26-08-2010, 12:37 PM
I've heard Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep sung before.....

And when my kids were young they sang 2 verses - black then white. And the master, dame and little boy said 'thank you'

ChocolateChip
26-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes, we always sing the 'thankyou' verse aswell, and sometimes it's a little girl who lives down the lane :laughing:

Tribe_mummy
26-08-2010, 01:54 PM
What is the world coming to!? :(