PDA

View Full Version : Grandparent collecting earlier - what do I say to parents re: safeguarding?

Cazz
24-08-2010, 11:44 PM
I've hopefully got parents coming on Thursday to sign contracts for a full-time place (8.30am -4.30pm) for a baby.

The dad's mum lives fairly local to me and they mentioned that some days she may come and collect the baby earlier if she finishes work earlier or has a day off (so the baby spends some time with a family member as well as it will be long hours with me).

Thinking afterwards about the way the conversation was going I get the impression she was meaning that the grandparent would just turn up at my door to collect the baby without me knowing. (The mum had originally been thinking of sending the baby to a local nursery but after she visited had some really concerns about babies being left to cry so I'm wondering if she's a bit anxious about this and it would be their way of "checking" that I'm not doing the same?)

I've got no issues with someone just turning up as I'll have nothing to hide but I'm thinking that from a safeguarding point of view I should have notice/permission from a parent for the grandparent to collect on that day? What if they had some sort of dispute and the parents didn't want the grandparents to have access?

If I am thinking along the right lines - how do I word it to the parents on Thursday without them seeming as if I'm being "funny"?

mushpea
25-08-2010, 05:56 AM
I had a similar situation with parents whilst split when the children were in my care and was worried that dad would just turn up then mum would come later expecting the child to be here so I told Mum that 'of course its no problem dad picking up but would you just text me to confim this before hand because i would hate for you to turn up thinking they were here and dad had taken them', I kind of made it sound in her favor.
you could also have a signing out sheet so that the parent or grand parent signs when they pick up so you have it confirmed that one or the other collected that day.

christine e
25-08-2010, 06:06 AM
I don't think it would be a bad idea to get this in writing from the parent and that you do need some advance warning that grandparents will be turning up early as you may not be in.

Cx

Twinklestars
25-08-2010, 06:26 AM
i mind a little boy and his grandma sometimes picks him up early or takes him for lunch. Mum tells me before or on the morning and writes a note giving permission and grandma texts to confirm times in case we're going out and it works fine

Pauline
25-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Another thing is that if you were in the middle of an activity or meal, or asleep (child not you!:D) it can be upsetting for children to be suddenly taken away, so a bit of warning means you can prepare the child for going early. :)

The Juggler
25-08-2010, 07:40 AM
I agree. Have grandma as a drop-off/pick up contact on teh contract. Ask to meet her.

Also, tell mum the times it will be inconvenient for pick ups without prior notice i.e. morning activities, lunch, nap-time. But explain that if she let's you know the day before, you can arrange to be in/have baby up ready for Gran.

Gran can always text when on the way but obviously mid-nap time is not going to be great for lo even with 10 mins notice.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-08-2010, 08:01 AM
I would say to the parent that you are happy for the grandparents to collect but you need to know when as you are out and about alot with activities and school runs.

Ask for an approx time to be set that you both agree on and then if different ask the grandparents to text first. I can't see that it is any difference to a parent collecting early.

Sounds like they just want time (as long as they realise that they still have to pay you) and not that they are checking up

You need to train the baby to only cry in the morning when no one can hear them!! :laughing: :laughing:

Mookins
25-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi Hun,

think most things have already been said, but i would ask for either a picture of the grandparent or to give the grandparent a password.....explain to parent this is a safeguarding issue so want to be overly safe...im sure they will be very happy with this,

with regards to grandparent just turning up explain to parents that it isnt an issue they can turn up to check when ever they like like youve already said you have nothing to hide, but the grandparent must understand that if lil one is eating, asleep or you are out then she will either have to wait or come back later as the childs wellbeing has to come first.

Unless shes been crb checked id say shes to come back as you cant leave anyother kiddies in the same room etc etc so you dont want to keep herding mindees round your house just cos shes there!!

xxx

MissTinkerbell
25-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I have this with one of mine although its L,s godmother. When we signed contracts it was written into the contract that this person could collect L. I also have a place on my chiid information sheet where the parents have given signed permission for named people to collect L.

I also asked mum/dad if they could give me prior notice of when X would pick up L. We set up a password system and the first time X picked up L I was notified by mum and X was able to tell me the password.

Its worked quite well although once or twice mum has forgot to tell me and x has turned up - she's then waited whilst I've phoned mum to check this is OK. This has never caused a problem because I think both mum and X have realised I only have L's welfare at heart.

Just explain that you are quite happy but because of activities, school runs etc you would need some prior notice and written permission.