PDA

View Full Version : getting their own way

hollyoaksmad
24-08-2010, 02:40 PM
what should I do when i say "no please dont do that" the child crys and crys till he gets his own way. and wont share with anyone else wont even share me!!

PixiePetal
24-08-2010, 02:51 PM
stick with it! Depends on age of child but if you have said please don't do something and given a reason why not to do it (dangerous,harmful...) they will need to toe the line. Offer distraction to take away from original thing too.

Mookins
24-08-2010, 03:28 PM
ignore the tears , keep doing what you do, and offer loads of wel dones when they do share something no matter how little it was

perservearence (sp) im afraid hun

xx

mushpea
24-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Do not give in,,not even once and not just for peace and quiet either!
once you give in they will just cry and shout untill you do give in as thats what they expect,, a few times of you not giving in will soon show them that you mean what you say . I have a 2yrold like this at the moment, parents give in to them all the time but I wont and we have lots of tears and tantrums to begin with but soon learning that i wont give in and they are becomming less and less.

onceinabluemoon
24-08-2010, 05:27 PM
As others have said never ever give in.

Pipsqueak
24-08-2010, 05:35 PM
you stay firm to the rules
the toys are mine and I share with everybody, if other people won;t share then they won't get to play with the toys.

as for getting own way - well I am bigger, tougher, more stubborn, I am the adult and its MY house and MY rules - end of..... I have said no and thats it.
I am however willing to negotiate at times, I will admit if i have been too quick to react or i am wrong in my decision.

ignore the tears and tantrums - they soon get the message.

mrs robbie williams
24-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I also had this when mindee first started but I refused to give in - everything in her eyes was 'mine, mine, MINE' !! I sat her down and explained that no it wasnt actually hers the toys are mine and I like children to play nicely with them and share. It took a while as she is used to getting her own way at home but i would just take her away from the toy in question and distract her and then let her go back to the toy when it was available and we would try and try again. I spoke to the mum and she agreed with me that the child needed to learn how to share. I just have to walk in the room now if she is jumping up and down shouting 'mine' and she stops and things about what she is doing and is then happy to share. The problem with the child i mind is that it isnt consistent between my setting and her home. Her older sister (who is only 5) is made to give up whatever she is playing with so the younger one can have it. It feels like a losing a battle and Mondays are always a nightmare (after her having her own way all weekend) but she knows the rules now when she comes to me and I give her a sticker when she behaves nicely and shares and she likes to show that to her daddy when he picks up :)

The Juggler
24-08-2010, 06:39 PM
i agree. tell them no, remove offending toy if need be, then ingnore them completely, just carry on playing with the others, asking every now and again if they want to come join in.

karensmart4
24-08-2010, 06:39 PM
All children go through the 'mine' stage I think its called the 'preconceptional stage' if my memory serves me right :rolleyes:

You just have to keep explaining in child centered terms that they must share, or they must not do that or whatever is appropriate at the time...It seems to go on forever but it does pass.....eventually :eek:

It feels like a battle of wills, we all have children at this stage, and some seem worse than others. :eek: