PDA

View Full Version : not doing observations ect

EllaBella
24-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I have just had a lovely mum come and see me with a baby, whilst chatting she asked if I did obs ect ect, I said yes and explained how, she then said , " the other childminder made it clear she didnt do obs or nything like that as she preferrd to focus on the child and not paperwork"

now I know if a parent asks you not to do obs then you dont, but this parent wants them , but was told, no!

when this minder comes to be inspected there will be nothing to show, surely there is something going on here that im missing , but what?.

AliceK
24-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Well wouldn't it be nice if we COULD just do that but as we all know we HAVE to do obs and all the other paperwork that goes with the job. Either the mum has got the wrong end of the stick or the childminder will come unstuck when she has her ofsted inspection.

xxxxx

Mookins
24-08-2010, 01:04 PM
if i was that mum i would steer well clear of the other minder

sounds a bit sus to me!!!

xx

charlie potato
24-08-2010, 01:10 PM
the thing is you are doing your obs all the time even if you fully focus on child. Its done subconsiously. you just have your notebook and camera to hand whilst mindee there and then tie it all uo after mindee gone home or is asleep? Am i right? xx

em29
24-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Absolutely right. I just do a quick scribble in the back of the diary of date and what happened and then update the learning journey later. I try to take pics of all the good stuff too but obviously when its spontaneous or a verbal thing then its not so easy to photograph is it?:)

I think some minders are not in the loop with what is expected of them. There are some round my way who do not do contracts or have policies. Who knows what will happen to them! They always seem to talk their way out of something!!:mad:

marnieb
24-08-2010, 01:29 PM
My cm friend just had her inspection (and got outstanding) and Mrs O told her that she didn't actually need to do any paperwork AT ALL...... so remind me, why are we jumping through all these hoops????

AliceK
24-08-2010, 02:27 PM
My cm friend just had her inspection (and got outstanding) and Mrs O told her that she didn't actually need to do any paperwork AT ALL...... so remind me, why are we jumping through all these hoops????

Oh I see, so that's why my ogre of an inspector pulled me up about my obs not being good enough :rolleyes: . My DO couldn't find anything wrong with them. I think Ofsted inspectors are a law unto themselves :angry:

xxxxxx

caz3007
24-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Goodness me, so why did I get an action cos my planning wasnt up to scratch. Another childminder I know who doesnt do any planning at all got a different inspector a while before me and she didnt get an action and her lack of planning wasnt mentioned at all in her report. Doesn't it annoy you sometimes, its the luck of the draw

hollyoaksmad
24-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I had my inspection not so long ago and I was told its not a legal requirement to do them .. iif you want outstanding you shud do them she said but you dont actually have toxxx

MissTinkerbell
25-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I think some minders are not in the loop with what is expected of them. There are some round my way who do not do contracts or have policies. Who knows what will happen to them! They always seem to talk their way out of something!!:mad:

This is the same round my way. Many of them don't do planning, observations or learning journeys. These are the ones who haven't as yet had their inspection under EYFS so it will be interesting to see what Mrs O has to say.

I've had parents come to see me and have said, when seeing my polocies, planning, record keeping, etc ' oh X didn't have all of this - should she have done?' and its not just the one name thats been mentioned it has been numerous ones.