PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in some serious need of guidance!

nads0804
24-08-2010, 01:46 AM
:) Hi every1,

I'm Nadia & im currently waiting to hear when my pre-reg visit will be but i am really nervous and confused as to what i need to know & do.

Im from Glasgow so does anybody know what the care commission requires? I was looking on this but most people r with ofsted.

Alsooo with regards to my house i have done things like secured my tv to the wall, put child locks on cupboards etc but does anybody know whether I need to have socket covers? or window keys? I have just recently moved into my house and we werent provided with any! Ohh and I currently have a mains smoke alarm and fire blanket but not a fire extinguisher - do i need this also?

Sorry for the endless Q's! ANYY advice on pre-reg meetings would be very much appreciated!! :)

sarah707
24-08-2010, 07:01 AM
:) Hi every1,

I'm Nadia & im currently waiting to hear when my pre-reg visit will be but i am really nervous and confused as to what i need to know & do.

Im from Glasgow so does anybody know what the care commission requires? I was looking on this but most people r with ofsted.

There are quite a few Scottish members I am sure they will be along later

Alsooo with regards to my house i have done things like secured my tv to the wall, put child locks on cupboards etc but does anybody know whether I need to have socket covers?

You must risk assess to show your house is safe for children / adults etc.

If you do not use socket covers then how do you keep children safe from the sockets?

or window keys? I have just recently moved into my house and we werent provided with any!

You should take advice from the fire officer who comes to do your check - this is not for England, it's a Scottish thing

Ohh and I currently have a mains smoke alarm and fire blanket but not a fire extinguisher - do i need this also?

Again your fire officer will be able to help you.

Sorry for the endless Q's! ANYY advice on pre-reg meetings would be very much appreciated!! :)

Pre-reg is about learning ... going through the standards... making sure you have everything in place.

There's a lot to learn but you will get lots of help... and we're always here.

good luck and don't forget to let us know how you are getting on :D

arly
24-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi there, im in process of registering aswell, not had my pre-reg visit but had alot of help from another childminder. The main recommendation is a fire blanket in the kitchen. This must be on the wall and a service check must be done annually, smoke alarms checked weekly. Plug sockets, you would probably be better with the socket covers as theres so many plug sockets in a house you would need eyes on the back of your head to supervise. Im only using upstair as a sleep room the rest is all downstair so i dont have window keys but my windows have a safety catch aswell to prevent them from opening out wide. Think this covers everything..... and dont worry your 1st care commission visit is for them to help you (so ive been told :laughing: )

good luck.x

Blackhorse
03-09-2010, 07:00 AM
you need a fire blanket or an extinguisher, although they recommend the blanket.

your smoke alarm needs to be mains powered and battery backed up. you need it on all levels of your house and in bedrooms should you register them too.

the CC send you out a list of things they need for inspection. then it depends on the individual CCO if they want more..:rolleyes:

try and get onto the induction course you will find out more there and can chat with other newly reg cm's and one's that are in the process of registering. (and come on here and chat with us!)

Socket covers are deemed unsafe now as far as I am aware and I am not using them . Try and search in youtube etc. there are issues around them not being made to british standards and hazardous.
If you have a reason as to why you have/dont have them that should be enough for CC> I explained why I chose not to have them and asked the CC officer to check it our herself online as she wasnt aware of the possible dangers...LOL
You can get socket covers, that cover te entire socket if nothing is plugged in. Other than that I have them in corners and behind the sofa, bookshelf etc

you can request a free fire home safety visit from the local fire station. just phone them up and they will come out and inspect the house and give you leaflets and information. it is not mandatory up here but it helps!
they will also talk about how your fire exits need to be clear from pushchairs and other equipment.

hope that helps

Alibali
03-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Don't worry about it, the first visit with Care commission is really relaxed and they will go round your home with you and tell you what needs to be done. Relax a while while you can!