PDA

View Full Version : I've screwed up!

crazyhazy
23-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I had a 11yo start with me during the holidays, she was meant to come 6 days in total but for various reasons only came 1, then when they went back on thur she was meant to be coming everyday afterschool. When she came in the hols and last week, her mum said she could just walk home when she was ready (she lives nearby and actually gave notice last week cos her mum won't be going back to work as previously expected). So, today I said are you just to walk home or is someone picking you up, she said oh I think I've just to walk, so just before 5 she said she was going to head home, my mum happened to pop in and offered her a lift since it's pouring here. All fine, except someone just came to my door asking for her, a friend of her mums cos apparently she was at a hospital appt today and had got held up so there was no one home.

So, it seems I've sent her home to an empty house :panic: I honestly didn't think to call her mum before she left cos she's been so laid back but I feel terrible now. I'm guessing she either had a key or went to a neighbour cos I would have thought otherwise she'd have come back. The mums friend has gone to to the house to look for her, but I feel awful and am so annoyed with myself for not checking :(

karensmart4
23-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Its not your fault, its lack of communication on the parents part.

Just out of interest, do you have a policy in place for children to leave independently? If not it might be a good idea.

blue bear
23-08-2010, 05:03 PM
unless you had agreement to let child go with this person you couldn't have handed her over to her anyway. Why did mum ring her and not you?

The only thing you could and have done is send someone round to check she is ok.

crazyhazy
23-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, have spoken to her mum and all is ok. Seems she's more in trouble than me cos she knew she was meant to stay here but instead of going home headed to her friends! Her mum was ok with me and said it wasn't my fault she had meant to call me earlier today and forgot, so feel better about it all now.

caz3007
23-08-2010, 05:35 PM
For a while I had an 11 year old leave my house independantly, it was only going to be temporary as we had huge roadworks locally and he had swimming club, mum couldnt get here on time. Mum signed a permission slip, stating it was ok for him to leave and that once he left my house, wasnt my responsibility nor covered by my insurance. Perhaps you need to consider this for the future.

Same child is off to high School in Sept and he and another mindie will arrive independantly and again parents have signed my independant arrival policy to agree