PDA

View Full Version : Snack time

BlondeMoment
23-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm a bit stuck in a rut with snack time. We tend to have fruit in the morning and cheese and crackers in the afternoon. Would really like some new ideas as the children often have cheese for lunch too. Keeping it simple tho. We do 3 school/nursery runs a day at mo so don't have alot of time.

Also...I have one little lad that doesn't eat friut at all (have tried him on all sorts including raisnins and other dried fruit with no luck) but don't want him to miss out on snack time. At the same time I don't want to give him something too different from fruit because the others will say it's not fair etc

Any ideas anyone?

lorimac
23-08-2010, 01:24 PM
We sometimes make sugar free jelly as an activity in the morning and put it in small animal moulds, the kids have it in the afternoon at snacktime, they add rasberries and stuff to it, still fruit but a wee bit different

SammyM
23-08-2010, 01:24 PM
We're favouring rice cakes at the mo, and carrot sticks etc to dip in dairylea :)

margaret
23-08-2010, 01:25 PM
malt loaf ,fruit bread,crumpets,rice cakes,humous ,breadsticks,

selena 31
23-08-2010, 01:27 PM
what about making some fruity flapkack or something along that side ,tesco do oat pancakes and i often put things like stewed apple or go bramble picking and make a fruity sauce wrapped in them or healthy muffins?
In the afternoon cheese scones with butter or tea cakes and mine really like tortilla wraps with ham or cheese, and cheese straws with dips.
Hope that helps i know it can be difficult eating same things all th time x:)

cas2805
23-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Have you tried dried fruit? As well as dried apricots, they do dried banana and apple chips. They are crispy and I don't think the kids know they are real fruit!:)

jo f
23-08-2010, 03:28 PM
vegetable crisps, rasins, pea pods, biscuits, toast fruit bread, savoury cheesy biscuits then the ones mentioned too

crazyhazy
23-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Lots of snack ideas there already, was going to suggest trying fruit flakes for your lo that doesn't like fruit, they come yoghurt coated too which might sway him.

watgem
23-08-2010, 08:18 PM
my mindees enjoy dipping carrot/pepper/cucmber into hummus, we have toast or crumpets or fruit malt loaf, yogurt covered raisons, little pots of yopgurt or jelly, rice cakes, breadsticks, smoothies, muffins(the breakfast kind)humzingers, dried and fresh fruit, babybels or cheese triangles, it just depends on the weather, how hungry they are, what they feel like and what's in the house!

PixiePetal
23-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I give fruit bars - ones with pure fruit in, dried fruits - all sorts (sainsburys do a good mixed bag with dates/apricots/raisins etc in little pieces), homemade flapjacks or banana loaf, malt loaf, breadsticks, ricecakes

Ali56
23-08-2010, 09:42 PM
We're favouring rice cakes at the mo, and carrot sticks etc to dip in dairylea :)

my Lo's love things to dip in dairylea! breadsticks, carrot, cucumber, pepper etc! They also love ricecakes, plain or with a little bit of marmite. sometimes we turn snack into an activity and have jelly and fruit or ice biscuits to eat.

:)

The Juggler
23-08-2010, 09:55 PM
interesting thread as come Oct I'm no longer doing dinner/tea. Was thinking crumpets but liking the idea of veg sticks and humous etc.

BlondeMoment
24-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Some great ideas guys thanks!

I've tried LO with every possible friut idea I can think of including dired fruits, yoghurt coated fruit flakes etc etc. He's not havin it LOL

Thanks for ideas tho guys x x x