PDA

View Full Version : Accident notification?

em29
23-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi everyone - on saturday morning (out of childminding hours), my son (17mths) fell in the lounge and hit his head on the coffee table. It split open and bled profusely so he had it glued at a and e! He was fine but it has shaken me a little as I couldn't imagine having to call a parent to say that this had happen to their baby.....

I was thinking that even though it has happened out of hours with my son that I would notify the parents via letter and inform them that the coffee table has now been removed from the setting and and it has been noted in my risk assessment. Does this sound like a good idea or a bit OTT?
Has anyone had any of these things happen and how did the parents respond? I am feeling apprehensive today.....think it has got to me. I feel a bit tearful even though it was pure accident. There were no sharp corners he just fell onto the edge. I feel guilty that I was relieved it happened to him and not a mindee...:(

sharronej
23-08-2010, 08:12 AM
I understand how you're feeling but personally I would treat it as a family incident and not a work one, you've done the important thing by moving the table. I also understand why you feel guilty (I think it is one of the gifts that come with children :) ) but the reality is that a risk free zone is just not achievable. My daughter (now 18 and off to Uni) was always tripping over and falling off things and we seemed to live at Booth Hall. My friend's little girl ran through her lounge, tripped over her own feet and split her forehead open on the wall. One of my mindees (a few years back) was walking sensibly down the stairs holding on and she lost her footing but didn't let go of the banister and ripped the muscles in her back - that was scary :panic:

If you feel the need to then you could record it in your accident book and then update your ra's, when you see your parents your daughters misfortune is bound to come up in conversation and I wouldn't go any further than that with it.

HTH
Sharron

karensmart4
23-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't worry about informing the parents, if they notice his injury and ask how it happened then of course tell them, but don't worry about actually informing them. It was a pure accident involving your child in your home...nothing to do with them :)

My oh was play fighting with our son a few years ago and HE fell against the radiator, he split his nose open and ended up in a&e, he has a manly scar now...but in 18 years of living in this house that was and hopfully will be, the only time that this has happened.

It was purely and simply an accident

FussyElmo
23-08-2010, 08:42 AM
If I informed my parents ds had an accident with me then that all I would talk to them about. Little angel went through a right stage of always being at A and E. Quick touch wood we havent been for a bit.

Accidents do and will happen.

Roseolivia
23-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Rose broke her arm a couple of months ago falling off her shetland pony, i just told parents when i next had the children and informed them that until i was used to the horse and vice versa and after i'd had my baby i wouldn't allow any children on him (depending on insurance as well). Rose also split her head open on the garden wall the month before her arm and again informed parents when i next saw them but did tell them my new rule was children were not allowed on the wall when with me.

blue bear
23-08-2010, 12:10 PM
It's horrible when your LO is hurt - rather it was me than them, you are naturally feeling bad that it happened. By all means tell parents what happened but leave it at that, you have dealt with it. There will be something else next month if he's anything like mine!!lol

hugs for you both hope your LO heals quickly.

em29
23-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Thank you so much for all the replies. I don't think I will do a letter then. I will just mention it at pick up (didnt mention it this morning), and explain the table is gone. If it had happened during 'hours' obviously i would have had to have my mindee collected but as it wasn't I think that it is a private family matter. Thanks everyone for the advice. I will just update ra's. Thanks everyone:)