PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fees

claireLouise
03-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of registration.....
I have had my Disclosure Scotland checks done, my Fire Brigade visit and sent my policies and procedures to the Care Commission, just awaiting the home inspection.

My biggest concern is what fees to charge. I have found it impossible to get any information as Childminders in my area do not want to share information relating to what they charge and what parents get for this hourly fee, I would be really interested to hear what you would recommend a newly registered childminder in my area should charge.

Look forward to your advice.

Claire

Pudding Girl
03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I'll dig out my guidance from the SCMA about what the average charge is in each area, but will have to wait till tomorrow now ok :) and also don't take it as gospel! my area is supposedly 40p less than I charge, but tough, I am charging what I do charge!

angeldelight
03-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I would work around what the average charge is for your area

Its your business so you can charge what you like but dont undercut yourself

Good luck

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Do you have Childrens Inforation Service in Scotland - its worth checking the website (local) if you do. go to some network meetings - not all minders are so closely guarded!

The other way to get ideas of prices - check out local nurseries and see what their rates are and to be a bit more "sneaky" about it - ring round a few minders and pretend to be a parent checking out local care - quite underhand but sometimes a necessary evil (sorry if anyone is appalled by that and no I have never had to do it!!! but I know a few minders who do!)

fionamal
03-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi there,

I looked at the fees booklet that came in last week and for Livingston the average is £3.20 per hour but it doesnt give an indication of whats included.

Im in East lothian and I charge £4 per hour but I include all snacks and lunches and outings.

Phone the Council as they should be able to help you aswell.

http://www.*************.gov.uk/

This site is also very good and should give you some indication of what to charge as well and contact them to advertise on the site as thats where alot of the enquiries come from.

Hope this is of some help to you.

sarah707
04-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I'll move you to 'fees' you might get more replies there...

I would look online, or ring SCMA and see what they suggest :D

claireLouise
04-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks a lot that wopuld be a great help

Claire

I'll dig out my guidance from the SCMA about what the average charge is in each area, but will have to wait till tomorrow now ok :) and also don't take it as gospel! my area is supposedly 40p less than I charge, but tough, I am charging what I do charge!

claireLouise
04-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll try your suggestions.

Claire

Do you have Childrens Inforation Service in Scotland - its worth checking the website (local) if you do. go to some network meetings - not all minders are so closely guarded!

The other way to get ideas of prices - check out local nurseries and see what their rates are and to be a bit more "sneaky" about it - ring round a few minders and pretend to be a parent checking out local care - quite underhand but sometimes a necessary evil (sorry if anyone is appalled by that and no I have never had to do it!!! but I know a few minders who do!)

claireLouise
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks for your advice and honesty. This gives me a starting point to think about what I should charge. One of my friends is just looking into using a childminder from the new term and was quoted £4.50 but that seems quite high considering your rate and the average.

Claire

Hi there,

I looked at the fees booklet that came in last week and for Livingston the average is £3.20 per hour but it doesnt give an indication of whats included.

Im in East lothian and I charge £4 per hour but I include all snacks and lunches and outings.

Phone the Council as they should be able to help you aswell.

http://www.*************.gov.uk/

This site is also very good and should give you some indication of what to charge as well and contact them to advertise on the site as thats where alot of the enquiries come from.

Hope this is of some help to you.

claireLouise
04-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks

Claire

I'll move you to 'fees' you might get more replies there...

I would look online, or ring SCMA and see what they suggest :D

Alibali
04-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm in Glasgow and around my area the average is about £3.25-£3.50 per hour or £125.00 per week. I think the £4.50 is very steep bearing in mind that not all parents get help with childcare fees. Good luck.

Ali x:)

Tickles
22-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi Claire,
i'm from Murieston in Livingston too & dont have a problem with telling other childminders what i charge & know many other childminders who would tell you.

Anyway i charge £3.00ph full time & £3.50 part time. that is the normal in this area, though some childminders may be less & i know some who are £3.50 full & part time.
I would say that all the childminders i know in this area [a lot!] are mostly all full & we are always inundated with calls, so you should have no problems getting started.

we always gget loads of calls from may onwards [ school children]

Joanne

Tickles
22-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Meant to say, i dont know any childminder from murieston who charges £4.50 per hour & i think thats way too steep!
You have to try & keep in line with other service providers e.g afterschool clubs etc, or you will find that you might struggle to fill spaces.

We do have alot of nurseries, after school clubs, wrap around & childminders in this are, so it is something to think about.

You could also contact nurseries etc & ask them what they charge, so you know what their averages are.

Joanne

Tickles
22-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Sorry, me again, meant to say that the fee includes outings & snacks but the parent has to pay seperate fee if wanting me to provide meals, or they can provide them at no extra cost.

:laughing: