PDA

View Full Version : is anyone a teacher?

tweetiepie
21-08-2010, 11:35 AM
and now gone into childminding? I currently teach in the early years but Im in the process of becomming a childminder and wondered if anyone had left teaching

MissTinkerbell
21-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I left teaching in January 2008 to become a childminder and have been childminding since May 2008. As far as I'm concrened its the best decision I ever made. My teaching skills and experience have made the process less daunting than it probably would have been otherwise.

I still get to do all the great things with the children and about 3/4 of the paperwork!!! So for me the paperwork isn't as daunting as maybe it is for some - I've been used to doing it for 25 children and now only do it for 3 at the moment.

I like the fact that I have nobody dictating to me what I can do when and also not have the constraints of the classroom - if I want to go for a walk around the woods to look for bugs I can - there's nobody to say 'well actually you should be doing numeracry now'.

The downside is that sometimes I think that I'm undervalued in terms of pay (I charge 3.20 an hour- so with 3 children get 9.60 per hour - whereas in the classroom I'd get a heck of a lot more than that) but on the otherhand I don't get half the hassles so it equals out.

I do miss the staffroom banter and the adult conversation at lunchtimes; being able to eat my lunch and grab five minutes away from the children by shutting the staffroom door and handing over the responsibility to someone else at lunchtime but i do get times during the day when I can grab five minutes.

Originally this was a temporary thing whilst my children were small and I would return to teaching once the twins started school. The twins start school in 2 weeks and I can honestly say I have no desire to return to the classroom - I enjoy the freedom that childminding provides.

Heaven Scent
21-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I used to be a teacher too I taught in Nurseries, Primary Schools, & Further Education Colleges & despite now feeling under valued, missing the banter in the staff room, & resenting doing all the paperwork in my own time when only earning between £9-10 ph, it is the best decision I've made in a long time.

I started minding in Sept 2007 and for staff room banter I meet up with other minders every morning, I record Loose Women which I watch either when mindees are asleep in the afternoon or straight after work when I sit down with a cup of coffee and have a wee bit of time out, but I can do this as my two are now at high school and don't need me in the same way that they used to, in addition I come on here there is always loads and loads going on here so you are never lonely and you always have someone in a similar position to you.

If you don't mind the pay drop and you feel it will fit in with your family then I'd welcome it with open arms and an open mind. All the very best of luck!!!

sarah707
21-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I was a teacher and have been a childminder for 16 years.

I love the freedom of working for myself and choosing where to go and what to do every day.

Ok I miss the guaranteed income, you have to work through that one, but otherwise it's the best change I ever made. :D

leeloo1
26-08-2010, 07:21 PM
I was an Early Years teacher too (mainly reception) and have been CMing for just over a year. It really helped me that the EYFS is the same, so I was already used to working with it, and observing a small number of children and doing their learning journeys is a doddle when you're used to having to do 30! :)

There are downsides, as of course there are to any job... if you get stuck in the house (when children are under the weather etc) it can get very lonely, so I make sure I try to go to a group/meet up with friends every morning and you have to be self-motivated to keep up with the paperwork etc.

Other than that its good fun, nice to be your own boss (other than having to do tax returns and the uncertain income) and I now earn more than I did teaching, which is pretty good really. :)

tweetiepie
27-08-2010, 12:02 PM
thank you, its good to hear positive stories as Im still unsure about giving up my job even though Im not enjoying it I think its a security thing