PDA

View Full Version : Enquiry for respite care from Social Services - what to do?

Starr870
20-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I need some help if anyone can! I have just had a call from Social Services. They would like me to do some respite care for a one year old next week every day from 1pm until 5pm. Do I have to do anything different because its respite care? Also surely I don't need to start a learning journey just for one week? Any help would be really welcomed. xx:)

Ripeberry
20-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Just do a detailed daily diary with photos :)

little_gems
20-08-2010, 06:14 PM
i have done respite for the odd day and i haven't done anything other then a daily sheet for them. it's it's for a few weeks then would do a short Learning journal. with a few obs and photos. HTH

Cazz
20-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm doing some work for Social services at the moment - 1 little boy 3 hours a day.

I just do a diary sheet which I give to mum when I take him home so that she knows what he's done and what he's eaten.

Are you charging a higher rate as it's a short-term contract? I charge £5.00 an hour - my normal rate is £3.20.

A word of advice though - if your local Social Services are anything like mine you won't get paid very quickly. The last work I did for them was 10 days at the end of June and I still haven't had payment. :eek: That's partly because they made the cheque out in the wrong name and I had to return it with a letter :rolleyes:

Hope it goes well for you - I quite enjoy doing these temporary contracts for Social Services as it makes me feel like I'm really helping a child/family in my own small way.

Starr870
22-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, you've been a real help. Hadn't thought of charging extra but I might do now! Thanks again. xx:)

Cazz
22-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, you've been a real help. Hadn't thought of charging extra but I might do now! Thanks again. xx:)

My network co-ordinator told me to because of all the paperwork and because there's no notice period so the money would suddenly stop - also that child is taking a place that may prevent you taking someone on long-term.

Social services don't seem to have a problem paying a higher rate (just returning calls :rolleyes: I'm still waiting to hear if I'm supposed to be collecting a little boy at 10.00am tomorrow morning - I guess I'll be the one making phone calls first thing!).

Starr870
23-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks Cazz you've been a great help.

When they spoke to me they said it was for Monday (today) onwards for a week from 1pm until 5pm and would call back this morning to make the final arrangements. Guess what.... they didn't call this morning to make the final arrangements!!!!! :mad: How cheesed off am I!!! Never mind had two more enquiries today so that makes up for it!

xx

The Juggler
23-08-2010, 09:31 PM
you should still have a contract with social services as well as your contract with mum and they should honour a months notice too. it is very rewarding work too.

Cazz
23-08-2010, 10:04 PM
you should still have a contract with social services as well as your contract with mum and they should honour a months notice too. it is very rewarding work too.

Really? Are they supposed to sign the contract as well as the mum and have the third copy (I use NCMA ones)?

They've never seemed interested in doing any paperwork - just told me to sort it with the parents and send them an invoice :rolleyes:

mrs robbie williams
24-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Hiya
Just having a nosey through your thread and wondered how I could help by providing care for SS? do they just get your details from the Family Information Services? thanks xx

The Juggler
24-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Really? Are they supposed to sign the contract as well as the mum and have the third copy (I use NCMA ones)?

They've never seemed interested in doing any paperwork - just told me to sort it with the parents and send them an invoice :rolleyes:

I think it varies from local authority to local authority. we have a specific dept that deals with these placements here and we have a contrat with them saying they will undertake to pay us which we, parents and they sign then I have an NCMA contract with the parent direct citing ss as responsible for payments.

I would def. ask for something in writing from SS saying they undertake to pay you on a certain day and give you x notice (even if it's only a week).

The Juggler
24-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Hiya
Just having a nosey through your thread and wondered how I could help by providing care for SS? do they just get your details from the Family Information Services? thanks xx

i would contact the department or your development officer and tell them you would be interested in helping out with placements. we have a department called daycare services who are a third party for social services and also deal directly with placements for those identified as 'in need' but not yet under social services remit.:)