PDA

View Full Version : carnival ideas anyone???

emmaflossie
20-08-2010, 12:44 PM
ok so because its nottinghill carnival next weekend and also our own local one i have decided at short notice to try and do something on carnivals next week???

i have 2 9 month olds, a 1 year old, 3 year old with learnign difficulties, a 4 year old and 2 6 year olds throughout the week so any ideas you can suggest doing with them would be great :)

mum26
20-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Hi there are some ideas on the Nursery Education magazine website:-

http://education.scholastic.co.uk/search/search?age_type=age_range&log=t&now=query&page=1&search%5Bmag_id%5D=21882&search%5Bquery%5D=carnivals

- most are for subscribers but a couple are free to download.

Hope this is of some help.

emmaflossie
20-08-2010, 06:53 PM
ah thank you
i subscribe to that so really i guess thats what prompted me to do the topic :)

any other ideas anyone???

going to do masks got feathers and lots of sparkly things to decorate with

i have loads of cardboard boxes so thinking of some things to do with them ????

miss mopple
20-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Make mini carnival floats with different themes from junk?
Listen to some carnival type music and do some carnival dancing

cant think of anything else :blush:

ChocolateChip
21-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I was going to say make mini floats aswell, lol!
Dress everyone up, and have your own mini carnival, make head dresses aswell,
with the older ones maybe you could discuss the safety aspects and find out who helps at carnivals, ie, police, fire service, ambulance service, marshalls, first aiders, discuss the preparations, closing the roads, how people on the floats and those watching are kept safe, etc.
find some different sorts of music like brass band, steel drums, pop music, bagpipes, salsa with whistles, etc and dance and march to it, make your own instruments and play it or find samples on youtube,
discuss who goes in a carnival, the queens, princes and princesses, fire engines, bands, groups, floats, walkers, majorettes, people on horses (not many these days, sadly), the mayor,
maybe the older ones could sort out the categories of where entries would go, colour pictures or make models and line them up in a procession, or make a display or collage
find pictures of daytime/ floodlit carnivals, pretend to be people on tableaux floats who have to stand still,
find pictures of flower festivals like the one in Jersey, Battle of the flowers (?), think there is an episode with Aunty Mabel and Pippin about this.

mum26
22-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Have you looked on here - there are quite a few ideas:-

http://www.everythingpreschool.com/themes/carnival/index.htm