PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my very jealous 2 yr old?

Tippy Toes
20-08-2010, 12:00 PM
:blush: My 2 yr old daughter gets very very jealous of my mindees! She especially creates a fuss when parents are picking their children up or dropping them off and Im just so worried this looks bad on my part? :blush:

She will want me to pick her up when mindees arrive or leave and also will be quite argumentative. Such as will not get out of the way to let mindees come in, tell them she does not want them here/does not like them, cry, do the opposite of what I have asked her to do etc etc :eek:

For example today I had a 7 month old for 2 hr settling in, when mum came to pick up my daughter got into little ones car seat and would not get out no matter how much I asked her! And it was only the 2nd settling in session for this little one!

I have been minding for just over a yr and to start with she was ok, them she went terrible as per above, then she got better for a couple of month and then since the summer hols she has gone worse. (Although she will get the odd occasion when she is completly fine!)

She is a very sweet little girl but just has a thing about sharing me!

Please help as Im really not sure how to deal with this and dont want people to think Im not very good as what I do?? :(

em29
20-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Oh dear - well i can relate to this! My 17 month old is refusing to share at all with my 16 mth old mindee- but I am pretty sure that in the mindee's home they would be the same with others too! I am just waiting for him to grow out of it by setting clear boundaries and expectations. If he takes toys away from her, I give them back and and make him sit down for a short while. He screams blue murder but eventually it will sink in.
My mindee's mum is not tolerant at all which makes it hard, as she thinks she knows it all about bringing up kids although she only has a 15 mnth old. She tells me what to do with my 5 year old daughter and criticizes me for silly things like cutting the crusts off her sandwiches saying " X eats her crusts and she's just a baby, i'm sure you daughter can manage at her age". I told her that If i don't cut them off if she is at school she will just leave most of the sandwich ( to which she rolled her eyes and snorted!) She thinks she knows it all and makes a point of correcting me all the time by telling me how SHE does/ will do it!

Sorry about my rant! I think you are doing fine and I am sure all our own children get jealous but will eventually settle into the routine. Also, make sure your lo has toys that are just hers ( not resources) so she has something private and special. x

sarah707
20-08-2010, 08:52 PM
It can be very hard for our own children - when they are little they do not yet realise the sacrifices we are making to be at home with them.

All you can do is make it clear... her behaviour is unacceptable and you are there for her all the time.

Perhaps some special time with mummy will help as a trade off.

hugs xx