PDA

View Full Version : Confused...again. advice please

porky1979
20-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I am trying to get my learning journals sorted. Do you all just use the same journal from when you get the child to when they leave???? My problem is i do not think i have been doing my palnning and obs right (hardly any planning and not really showing evidence I have followed up next steps).
I was thinking so I can get myself on the right track starting a new journal for each child (as though they are new starters) and put in the front their staring points and all about me sheets. ( I will put the bits i already have in another file). Do you think this is the right way to go about it or should I just continue in the ones i have but use the correct method? I hope i am making sense, i want to get this all sorted for when the children come back in September. It has been giving me brain ache all week and just can't seem to get my head round the best way of doing it. :(

Pipsqueak
20-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I use an A4 ring binder that I can just slot things into.
individual planning and reflections of next steps goes into the childs folder.

mrsoliver
20-08-2010, 02:10 PM
The ring binder idea ia god one, then you can change format whenever you like!

The journal is a working document and you can organise it to suit you and your needs. So feel free to start again if that is clearer for you.

porky1979
20-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks very much for your replies, I think i will start a new file as the ones I use are getting a bit full up anyway. I will start it as I would with a new child and just refer back to the old one as needed. I will also make sure I get more input from the parents as didn't have much before. I was getting myself in a right state. I think that will be for the best as the format will be different to what i have been doing and i don't want to confuse myself even more (if that is possible lol).

mishee.69
27-09-2010, 10:03 AM
I am trying to get my learning journals sorted. Do you all just use the same journal from when you get the child to when they leave???? My problem is i do not think i have been doing my palnning and obs right (hardly any planning and not really showing evidence I have followed up next steps).
I was thinking so I can get myself on the right track starting a new journal for each child (as though they are new starters) and put in the front their staring points and all about me sheets. ( I will put the bits i already have in another file). Do you think this is the right way to go about it or should I just continue in the ones i have but use the correct method? I hope i am making sense, i want to get this all sorted for when the children come back in September. It has been giving me brain ache all week and just can't seem to get my head round the best way of doing it. :(

I am having the same problem as I have just started out as a childminder and have twins boy/girl that have just started school and are in the eyfs. I'm not sure where to strart, how much I should be doing etc... If anyone can help me too, I would be very grateful

:clapping:

sarah707
27-09-2010, 04:59 PM
I use a file as well, with loose leaf sheets.

each month I put in children's observations, assessments and individual planning along with notes from home / other settings etc.

I find it a really easy way of seeing their progress through the year :D

Chatterbox Childcare
27-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Don't worry if you think you have it wrong as ofsted love to see us have a learning journey and self evaluation makes you change

Just carry on as you are and implement the changes that you want to make

My observation sheet has changed about 15 times since the EYFS started.

Leapsters
22-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I've got the same problem i guess. Not sure how much is too much and what's not enough. I have a A4 file and just stick everything in there that my mindee makes, I also print of photo's of what she's done. Date them and maybe add to the end what i could change (which is really hard):huh:

Not easy getting used to this, think i might have to do my NVQ3 to gain all knowledge and understanding

But hey KEEP SMILING.... REALLY WORKS :)

Penny1959
23-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Same advice really - A4 ring binder works best.

Change system as need to - add/ start new things - stop doing things that don't work (or because advice from government etc changes)

I think most us would say our systems have changed over time and what we currently do does not look like what we did last year - nor will it look like what we will be doing next year!

I would suggest that if you 'start again' that you keep the old stuff to show your professional development - and to prove to Ofsted that you have been keeping records and not just started doing so.

Penny :)