PDA

View Full Version : call mum to pick up child or not?

mrs.h
20-08-2010, 09:51 AM
hello,

i need your advise.

lo was poorly last friday (she only comes once a week). she was ok in the morning and by 3 o'clock she started to get a temperature and was crying a lot. mum picked her up and said "oh, i thought she would be better, she had a nasty cold all week". today she comes with a bladder and throat infection and a terrible chesty cough. mum asked me to give lo antibiotics and calpol if needed. lo is again crying a lot and wants to be carried. mum finishes work early but meets a friend. would you call her back? i don't want to seem unflexible but this is hard work :panic:

thank you,

mrs.h

wellybelly
20-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd call her to pick her up now. Poor little thing needs to be with her mum. Stand by your guns, you have to put the needs of the child above how convienient it is for mum.

sandy64
20-08-2010, 09:58 AM
if she has a infection she shouldnt be with you unless you dont mind catching it,or is it nearly at end of medicine? sounds like lo is still poorly and needs mum id ring her and explain hopefully she will pick up soon:)

mrs.h
20-08-2010, 10:06 AM
lo is asleep now. i texted mum as she doesn't answer her phone and explain how unwell lo is. hopefully she will collect early and cancel her coffee date with a friend after work or lo is better after her nap. i am not sure if the infection is nearly over..... just checked antibiotics were prescribed yesterday!!

thank you,

mrs.h

em29
20-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Oh my goodness! I would have asked the mum to keep her off. A bladder and throat infection is not nice at all and she should be at home having cuddles and sleeps in her own bed. It is so much hard work while they are ill which is why I suspect so many parents try to put them into childcare...I do understand how much pressure parents put on you to have them though and always make out that the kids are feeling fine. They dose them up with calpol and hope the temp doesn't return until home time. Leave a message on the mums phone asking her to collect. Poor you and poor lo! x

AliceK
20-08-2010, 10:37 AM
If a LO is poorly and is on anti b's I would make it clear to parent at drop-off that if mindee deteriorates and is unable to carry on as normal then I will expect immediate collection. It sounds like LO clearly needs to be with their mum.

xxxxx

angeldelight
20-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I would ask her to collect immediatly if the child is still poorly after a sleep

It is not your place to have a ill child

You should not feel guilty about it

Angel xx

mrs.h
20-08-2010, 10:48 AM
hello again,

mum just phoned back and said she will collect in 20 minutes. i said that lo is unsettled and is is still contagious if she only started antibiotics yesterday. mum said the doctor said she isn't contagious because it is a viral infection??

mrs.h

curlycathy
20-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Thought they don't prescribe antibiotics for a viral infection. Hmmm. Hope she collects for you and that the lo gets better soon x

charlie potato
20-08-2010, 11:35 AM
A viral infection isn't treatable with antibiotics and is definately contagious, thats how it spreads. It could be detrimentable to someone in your household if they were immune suppressed. This is what annoys me when you see children with chicken pox out in public. Chicken pox can kill people who are immune suppressed. Anyway back to original thread, mother is wrong,lol. stick to your guns, child should come first not mother. xx

Erika
20-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Anti-biotics only treat bacterial infection. Dr's these days are also very reluctant to give out anti-biotics, so unless he was of the opinion that she had a bacterial infection that could not be treated in any other manner, he would not have written a script for anti-biotics. She's at it.

Zoomie
20-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Trust LO has been picked up by now.

I had a viral infection in Apr. 6 Days of very high temperatures, the GP finally agreed to prescribe me antibotics. I know they don't normally give for viral infections, but LO sound like had been very unwell for quite a while, so not unheard of, to give antibiotics.