PDA

View Full Version : Could I have some advice re ncma?

Polly2
20-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Hi guys
Not sure whether you can help but here goes...

I have recently been in touch with the lady form my council who deals with funding for early years projects etc. I have been trying to get funding for a group of cms in my area to renew our first aid.

Apparantly there is no funding at all. She was having a right moan to me about ncma. They had had a letter from ncma saying that they should have a dw in our area and how it would benefit cms etc etc. She would love to employ one but they have no money.

So in your areas have you got a Development worker and is he/she employed by ncma or your local council?

There is a shortage of cms in my area and I think a lot of the problem is there is no support. I would like to lobby someone but am not sure what is available in other areas and who I should talk to.

What do you think I should do - if anything?

Thanks xx

Pipsqueak
20-08-2010, 07:34 AM
There are 4 childcare development officers spread throughout town and one NCMA development worker.
The CDO's are council employees and the DW is NCMA. We have a NCMA regional office in our area which covers the NE, so we have the Senior Ops downwards staff. Lovely ladies, extremely helpful and good friends.
The network is just going CCF and that is LA funded.

The overall 'support' of CM's - is generally down to the LA though through the CDO's or the Early years team.

There should be a regional office of NCMA that covers your area however, if you give Bromley a call they should be able to tell you who the regional office personnel is.

Polly2
20-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks pip!

So really if the council have no funding we have no chance of any support :(

I have the number of our regional ncma office. There is a guy covering our area which our counci have contacted several times but he seems to be 'just talk' iykwim :rolleyes:

It helpful to know what happens in other areas though - thanks

Pipsqueak
20-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks pip!

So really if the council have no funding we have no chance of any support :(

I have the number of our regional ncma office. There is a guy covering our area which our counci have contacted several times but he seems to be 'just talk' iykwim :rolleyes:

It helpful to know what happens in other areas though - thanks

I have to say the support I get from my NCMA personnel is second to none - but obviously it is all from an NCMA perspective - however all the ladies in the office are former childminders and understand the 'heat' of minding.

I get excellent support from the CDO's as well.

I tend to get where the wind doesn't and I have made some firm professional connections with all these people. Many of them are friends now as well.

I would get in contact with the person who covers your area and discuss your needs and concerns with them and see what solutions you can come up with. If you feel you aren't getting anywhere, speak to the Senior operations manager for the area - if not speak to NCMA HQ

Be aware though, NCMA can't make your LA do anything - they can only be there as advisory and if there is no funding allocated or available then NCMA cannot really do anything. There are cut backs happening in our area surrounding EY and the NCMA DW (so many acronyms!!! lol) works with the LA/CDO's to ensure that its not just/always the minders who suffer.

wellybelly
20-08-2010, 07:51 AM
They've just got one in our LA but she is contacted part time and for only about a year - I am surprised they can afford her actually because a lot of the CDO jobs are at risk anyway???

I am happy with the support I get from the CDO and I don't know how the NCMA DW can improve on this. I suppose it comes down to where you live and how well you are supported.

I have heard great things from other LA's who have an already established NCMA DW who support them, but again it does come down to where you live and if funding allows for the role.

Polly2
20-08-2010, 08:01 AM
So do CDO's only support cms? or do they have other roles also?

Pip - I think thats wht the problem is - the LA think that ncma should employ someone to work with us because they have no funding themselves, but then ncma only have limited funding themselves.

Apparantly the LA is even struggling to put on an icp course.

Pipsqueak
20-08-2010, 08:05 AM
So do CDO's only support cms? or do they have other roles also?

Pip - I think thats wht the problem is - the LA think that ncma should employ someone to work with us because they have no funding themselves, but then ncma only have limited funding themselves.

Apparantly the LA is even struggling to put on an icp course.

CDO's are - childcare development officers and they are supposed to support all types of childcare - playgroups, creches, minders, nurseries, schools etc.
some areas may work differently though I suppose.

Start doing what i do - get where the wind doesn't and make a 'pleasant' nuisance of yourself - let them know that you aren't going to go away and its in THEIR interests that they work with you.:D

Polly2
20-08-2010, 08:15 AM
hmmmm well I have phoned 4 times in the last week lol!! Am planning to phone again today to finalise first aid arrangements. Even though we have to pay for it ourselves they have offered a room in the children's centre for us to use to bring costs down.

If I push it we might even get tea and coffee :)

I must say that the ladies I have been dealing with are lovely and I really sympathise with them and their money juggling. They really do want to help.