PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed.

rhea26
19-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi, I am new to this board.
I have 2 lo of my own and I mind my friends lo, my oldest lo and mindee are nearly 3 and the other day when we were out they were being silly and ended up bitting themselves, copying some animals at zoo, mindee ended up leaving a bite mark on his arm, he was fine and when mum came I explained what happened and showed the mark she was fine, when I had him today she mentioned that the mark went quite bad and when his nursery asked him what happended he said my lo bite him, mindee's mum said nursery were really worried and her husband is worried, mum said she trusted me 100 % but could I keep a closer eye on them so it doesnt happen again.
Now I feel really bad and feel like they think I'm lying, has anyone had anything like this befor?

Thanks.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
19-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Did he break the skin?

Biting happens and it doesnt matter how fast or observent we are it only takes a second ( can u tell my ds is a biter and many mindees have been too)

At the age of 3 they really should know better but as i said these things happen and dont beat yourself up about it.

Im suprised at nurseries reaction as they must encounter biting as well and realise how common it is.

Has the bite become infected? then i do suggest a trip to the docs.
besides this all you can do is re-literate to mum that these things do happen but you will do your upmost to stop it from happening again and u have had a stern word with the biter!

There is a book called "teeth are not for biting" which has become a firm favourite in my household

charlie potato
19-08-2010, 10:51 PM
My son suddenly started biting at the age of four which is quite common. I've got a policy about biting explaining that its a normal development phase in children up to age of 5. I explain the reasons why they do it and how i deal with it.:)

jadylasa
19-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Write it up in your incident book hun. Tell mum that that you are following the EYFS (just as nursery will be doing!) as part of KUW you took them to the zoo, and they were role playing, pretending to be the animals. I would suggest to mum that she takes him to the doctors as thre may be something wrong with his nervous system if he is able to bite himself to such an extent he marks his own skin! I agree with princessdaisyflower that the nursery shouldn't react like this. have they???? My opinion is that mum is asking for more info without wanting confrontation! I'd also ask her that if she trust you 100% why is she asking you to keep a closer eye on them? what does she do whe she nips to the loo? or if your lo is playing with something diff to her lo, they are the same age...we are supposed to give the the freedom of choice...which one do you "keep a closer eye on " to stop them biting their selves. don't you question yourself, some times some parents just need to get real!

Stillgoingstrong
20-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Sometimes I get really cross when I hear about parents reactions to perfectly normal behaviour - I have no doubt in my mind that at some point her lo will act or even has acted inappropriately, it is normal . My daughter went to a friend cm years ago when I decided to give up and go "back" to work, and her son dug his nail so hard in her little cheek that he broke the skin and her face was quite badly bruised. He was told off about it, didn't do it again, my cm friend apologised, my daughter probably gave him a dig on the quiet and all was forgotten. My daughter is now 20 and has a small crescent shaped scar on her cheek from this incident, but thats life - kids will do things to one another, parents need to accept and understand that sometimes things happen, and it is normal.
It wasn't done maliciously - they were playing animals - dont worry about it:D

JUST RE READ ORIGINAL AND TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD THE FIRST TIME:blush: Sorry, when I first read this I thought your lo had bitten a mindee, not that a mindee had bitten himself.:eek: What's that got to do with you then????? The parent needs to have a word with her lo, not you.
Why did a child deliberately bite themselves so hard that they leave a mark? I would have been having a word with the parent asking her to tell her lo not to do it as you don't want yours to start copying that sort of behaviour, not having her questioning me about it. Dw aboout it, just sounds like the mindee got carried away - bit daft to hurt yourself, bet they regretted it as soon as they bit down that hard :thumbsup: