PDA

View Full Version : Stranger Danger Activities

Hayley102
19-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Does anyone plan any stranger danger activities? If so I would welcome some ideas.

sarah707
19-08-2010, 05:39 PM
We read books like 3 billy goats gruff and 3 little pigs and talk about the wolf and the troll and discuss how we would deal with strangers.

Hth :D

jo f
22-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Ive just done safety theme. In it I very loosely covered this around red riding hood story. we did a pic and a basket with pics of fruit in for granny

jumpinjen
22-08-2010, 07:38 AM
It's a tricky area this as the majority of people that would harm children are actually family and friends (very very sad truth) yet these are the people that we tell children are safe! And yes children should feel safe in their own family circle.... I try to teach the children that if they feel a situation is unsafe and they feel uneasy, then to get themself away, to trust their instinct..... this can apply everywhere from bullies at school, to odd person talking to them at a playground, to their cousin putting pressure on to do something they wouldn't really want to do (try alcohol, smoke, steal something, jump into a water filed quarry etc). I read an interesting article from America last year about families identifying a core group of adults that were 'safe' adults if the child needed help.... it was quite a new way to tackle the 'stranger danger' problem, but seemed sensible to me.... that the child learned to trust how they felt rather than try to remember a list of things not to do!

jen x

magicminding
25-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I did something Feb half term for my childminding drop in. We read little red riding hood using a story sack, then made baskets and decorated a cake as a special treat for snack. Then we had the local community warden come in and talk to them about stranger danger - she was fab - did it in an excellent way. The children then made puppets so they could act out the story. Some of the children still talk about it now :)