PDA

View Full Version : what to do before mindees go home?

terrydoo73
18-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I have twin mindees aged 2 1/2 who come to me from 8 to 6 3 days a week. They are really full on at times and I struggle to get them settled to play with toys. I have discovered that if I do nothing but stay with them just observing or joining in play they are easier to work with.

Hubby was in the house today feeling a bit tired and just relaxing generally (he is my assistant). It was near the end of the day ie 4 pm. Now the twins had woken from their 1 1/2 hour sleep at 2.30 and it was raining outside so I couldn't give them the freedom of running around. It raised a problem which I dread facing come September again - what to do before they go home. Hubby noticed something which I have continually worried about. Come 4.00 every day the mindees just seem to be on a destructive mood - more of my house than toys! My hubby got quite annoyed today - I have an extending fireplace guard and they managed to remove the extension part before either of us got to them! Then they started into the wallpaper, next it was the cover of the table. Both of us were there the whole time and they do these things so quickly that it surprised us!

What could I offer to play with them at this time of the day? Bear in mind that my daughter will be coming in from school at 3.45 and needs about 1 hour to get homework done. During this time I would put on a DVD for the twins in the livingroom which seems to settle them for a while but ... what else could I do with them to keep them settled? I have had to close up my playroom at this time of the day because it is a case of bringing every toy out just for the sake of it and I do not really want to spend time running around tidying up after them!

Chell
18-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Could you read stories with them during that time or do you need to help your daughter?

miffy
18-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Do they like games - simple lotto or dominoes or even skittles.

If they like drawing - an aquamat is a great toy - no mess and they can watch their pictures appear and disappear as they dry.

Miffy xx

terrydoo73
18-08-2010, 09:21 PM
It's that old guilt thing that comes in - I really feel I should be spending time with my daughter especially as she is at the Primary 6 level now and needs to be supervised more closely.

I have tried stories but they prefer to pull the book out of your hand!

Might try the aquamat - my daughter had a small version of this which I used when she went to church - would you have to keep refilling the pen though?

Playing with skittles seems to get them raised and they start running about screaming at the top of their voices! Although something energetic would probably be ideal as it would tire them out but again the safety aspect comes into play again!

miffy
18-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Might try the aquamat - my daughter had a small version of this which I used when she went to church - would you have to keep refilling the pen though?

The pens last for quite a long time before you need to refill

Miffy xx

nokidshere
18-08-2010, 09:24 PM
If they have been full on all day and had plenty to do I see no harm in making the end of the day dvd or tv time when they can sit and relax quietly.

RainbowMum
18-08-2010, 09:26 PM
What time do you eat? maybe they're getting hungry? :idea: Get them (and your assistant) some all weather clothing and sling 'em outside in al weathers

clio0602
18-08-2010, 09:34 PM
The pens last for quite a long time before you need to refill

Miffy xx

Not in my house my dd sucks all the water out :panic:

I have trouble around that time aswell but we have tea at 4 ish then I just get out pencils paper colouring books etc usually put tv on for 20min if i need a bit of a calm down and sort out. It is easier when the weather is good and they go outside til hometime x

terrydoo73
18-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Eating has been a bit of a problem in the past. Mum has had problems giving them something they will eat so we agreed the best thing to do was to let them have snacks of fruit or raisins with crackers and cups of juice. They go home to having dinner with mum and dad which is working at present. I would sometimes have to guage when they are hungry ie either before or after sleep and this is really trial and error. I tend to favour that mindees eat when we eat rather than making an exception for them. It creates a more harmonious atmosphere - in fact someone was in the house last week and commented on how quiet they were as we all had a cup of tea together - they were having toast and fruit for morning snack.

Yes I could "sling them outside" with full waterproofs etc on but really do not want the hassle of stripping them before getting ready for home - sometimes I feel like just packing them in the car with the waterproofs on to let mum have to do all the work! They usually would end up staying outside at their own home for an hour before they eat dinner!

Attention span is so limited - I have tried the dvd and whilst one will settle on the couch and watch it the other seems to just go around looking for trouble!

moljak
18-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Playdough!
I find this great for distracting children.Don't need all the equipment out.Just need the playdough and and adult to suggest making snails, worms, sausages, owls and what ever else there imagination can come up with.
moulding the playdough can be very therapeutic.Have a go :)

It may be worth trying to give your DD attention later in the day.My DD knows that her time is the hour before bed 6.30 -7.30pm where we do reading, games ect after mindees have gone and dinner is over and done with :)

Kimmy050983
19-08-2010, 06:14 AM
To be honest they probably have just too much energy as they have just slept their nap! my son is the same he NEEDS to get out in the afternoon regardless of what we have done in the morning as his energy levels are just soo high!
Are they having a decent snack after their nap? They might just be a bit hungry..!

Kimmy x