PDA

View Full Version : First meeting with parents...any tips?

Lu 2010
18-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi guys,

I am newly registered and have my first meeting with a parent next week, I would love any advice on what to say, what not to say, things like that.

Also have any of you had trouble with your own children when a parent comes for meeting. My 19 month old is going through a paddy phase and I don't want her to put people off!

Thanks

coffee-time
18-08-2010, 07:36 PM
all you can do is be yourself really, ive only had 2 visits but got lots of advice on here! ask all about the child depending on age nap times foods they like dont like ect play with the little one while parents have a look through your policies ect. i wouldnt give the policies to take home until you know they are going to go with you (advice i was given on here)! i put mine on a disc for parents so they can have a look at home and doesnt take too much paper/ink which is expensive. hth.
good luck!

ladybug
18-08-2010, 07:51 PM
:clapping:Yes be yourself, try not to put on airs and graces as it may feel a bit false!!! If the child is coming too, pay them some attention, get down and play! Remember that they are seeing you for your suitability but it also has to be right for you so jot some questions down to ask them, routine etc cause it has to fit in with you and yoour little one! I found that I bent over backwards for my first parents and am suffering for it now so be careful what you offer cause they never forget!!! lol
You will be great, I show mine my propectus and do a seperate parent pack which includes all forms for them to take away, def agree with puttin policies on disk it saves ooodles of paper!
Be clear what you want to charge for.......meals, trips out etc!
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarah707
18-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Have your paperwork in place so parents can browse it while you are making a drink.

Listen more than you talk... they usually have lots to say about their child and want to see you being interested.

Play with the child if you can ... some children cling to parents so watch how parents react... it will give you clues to children's behaviour in the weeks to come.

Try and finish on a positive - thank you for coming... here is my welcome booklet to take away and read about anything you've forgotten to ask... when are you making your decision? / Can I ring you at the weekend to find out if you have decided? / Are you happy if I ring for feedback at the weekend?

Hth :D

tashaleee
18-08-2010, 10:02 PM
I just try to be myself. I always sit on the floor (force of habit), have a few age appropriate toys out for the child, have my paperwork ready for them to look through and play with their child if I can while they look through it.

I have had my kids play up over the years to the point where I often wanted to murder my DS by the end of it but somehow I still normally got the job - its how you handle your child and keep your calm that often does wonders somehow and doesnt seem to put the parent off - they know its and age and stage and they probably are thankful as they know its all kids that do it and not just theirs! :laughing:

I never give any paperwork out on the initial visit - it costs me time and money and I figure if they are interested then they will come back.

Good luck im sure you will be fine :)

AliceK
19-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I just try to be myself. I always sit on the floor (force of habit), have a few age appropriate toys out for the child, have my paperwork ready for them to look through and play with their child if I can while they look through it.

I have had my kids play up over the years to the point where I often wanted to murder my DS by the end of it but somehow I still normally got the job - its how you handle your child and keep your calm that often does wonders somehow and doesnt seem to put the parent off - they know its and age and stage and they probably are thankful as they know its all kids that do it and not just theirs! :laughing:

I never give any paperwork out on the initial visit - it costs me time and money and I figure if they are interested then they will come back.

Good luck im sure you will be fine :)

Same here.
Plus most of my parent visits both first and subsequent visits have been during workiing hours and there have been many occasions when it's been like a mad house here, last time it was a little mindees 2nd day with me and she was a screamer but just show that you can deal with everything calmly and professionally and it will be fine. I am full with people waiting so it can't be putting people off.
Good luck

xxxx