PDA

View Full Version : building works and boilers!

charliegee
18-08-2010, 02:51 PM
hello everyone -sorry I haven't posted and always ask questions but I've recently come up against something and thought....I know just the ladies and gents who will have the answer!!

Me and hubby and decided to replace our boiler and fit a new kitchen but because we live in a house built a long time ago the layout of our home means that to replace the boiler will be quite an invasive job - floorboards up etc!!! :panic: - the kitchen too will be quite a big job....:blush:

will be pleased to get it done though! - phoned ofsted and they said if I risk assess it and deem it safe to work through - I have to send them in a copy of my risk assessment

just wondering - if anyone else has had similar - invasive stuff done on house? - did you carry on minding?

I'm thinking it will be a nightmare to mind and have the work done BUT I don't want to inconvience parents etc by taking time off.....but want to keep little ones safe too...ahhh don't know what to do for the best!

anyone else had their boilder replaced / works done and carried on working or did you close?

thanks so much everyone for reading!

xxx

rickysmiths
18-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi there.

Well I have just had a huge extention built around the back and side of my house, like yours a 1950s. We have had all the rooms on the ground floor moved around as well, so new kitchen, whole new water and central heating system and we have had to decorate every surface, walls and celings in the house and are having new flooring everywhere. I have just sat down to finish the Risk Assessments and Escape plans for the new ground floor to send to OFSTED and got distracted onto here :blush: I am currently in my second week of a three week holiday to enable us to move back into the house.

Since the middle of April I have been working in a fully fitted 22' Porta Cabin, with toilet, kitchen sink, and heating on my front garden! We stayed in the house until they had to knock through the outside walls. I must say the central heating and electrics were easier for the builders to do because they had to take down all the downstair celings. Once the old kitchen was removed I couldn't have worked in the house. The parents have been very supportive and mindees have loved the time, it has been a big adventure and an education watching the building grow. We went on regular inspections and they have watched their playroom appear, we have had fab weather so they have been in the garden a lot.

How long is your work going to take to do? Could you take some holiday so you don't need to work all the time the builders are with you? Can you plan your week so you go to the max number of toddler groups, soft play outtings etc? So you are not in the house very much during the work.

Good luck.

charleyfarley
18-08-2010, 05:11 PM
We also had an extension several years ago, a big job as it affected the whole house, storeroom built, bathroom extended, our bedroom extended plus another bedroom built, plus kitchen completely gutted and renewed (ours is an old house).

I did stay open as only one mindee part time and after schoolers so it wasn't too bad, although my own son was 2 weeks old and the builders stayed for 6 months :panic:

A couple of years ago we had the boiler replaced, another biggish job as we had a back boiler behind the fire, took 2 1/2 days but had that work when mindees were on holiday that time.

Good luck with having the work done and hopefully it won't course you too much disruption:thumbsup: Just remember it will be worth it in the end, that's what I kept telling myself :D

Carol xxx

sarah707
18-08-2010, 05:17 PM
When I had my boiler done I took a few days off work.

But I have worked through a loft conversion, just keeping children away from the mess and lots of trips to the park.

I think you would need to show how you can still feed children healthily while the kitchen work is being done as well as keeping them safe.

Hth :D

rickysmiths
18-08-2010, 06:37 PM
When I had my boiler done I took a few days off work.

But I have worked through a loft conversion, just keeping children away from the mess and lots of trips to the park.

I think you would need to show how you can still feed children healthily while the kitchen work is being done as well as keeping them safe.

Hth :D

Perhaps the parents could provide healthy packed lunches for a few days?

funemnx
18-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I had a new boiler fitted last year and think it was only a 1 day job so carried on working (our house is newer than yours though). This month we've got the builders in to fit a new kitchen and downststairs wetroom. It includes plastering the ceilings and completely stripping both rooms so I've taken 3 weeks holiday, although it should only take 10 days but I wanted to make sure that I had time if anything went wrong and get the house ship-shape again. (Plus it's my 50th B'day so fancied a break!) :)

auntym
19-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I had my boiler replaced and loft conversion. I took two days off where it was not possible to work and the rest of time we spent a lot out and about! Packed lunches etc. And maybe explain to builders you need one room at a time free for mindees, av least if they need to pipe that room you could that one day have a full day out if poss. Im sure parents wont be inconvenienced by providing packed lunches for a wk? Sounds reasonable to me. If parents not happy suggest to them the only alternative your left with is holidays. You cant help needing essential work doing. And now is best time to get new boiler fitted with warmish weather

Chatterbox Childcare
19-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I did a risk assessment and worked around it. I had the kettle if I needed hot water and didn't need the heating because it was done in the summer