PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Opening Times

scully
18-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi,

I'm not really sure where to post this to be honest. And I know I will be shot down in flames as it is only August :( .......... But has anyone thought about their festive opening times? I have been asked by one of my mindees parents to stay open on Christmas Eve & the days between Boxing Day & New Year.

Would any of you charge extra for this. I am willing to stay open until 13:00 Christmas Eve but no later :laughing:

Scully x

AliceK
18-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I've already given my Christmas Holiday info out to parents. I am closed from the 23rd Dec and re-open on 4th Jan. I need some time out to spend just with my kids and family.

Personally I would say no to the parents but IF I did do it I would def be charging extra.

xxxxxx

Hebs
18-08-2010, 02:10 PM
i'm closed christmas eve and christmas day, open the rest inc new years day if needed :D

wellybelly
18-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I'm not really sure where to post this to be honest. And I know I will be shot down in flames as it is only August :( .......... But has anyone thought about their festive opening times? I have been asked by one of my mindees parents to stay open on Christmas Eve & the days between Boxing Day & New Year.

Would any of you charge extra for this. I am willing to stay open until 13:00 Christmas Eve but no later :laughing:

Scully x

I will never as long as I live childmind on Christmas Eve again. I did it one year and hated, not being able to psych my own kids up and get organised for a massive family Christmas. I also take a week off after Christmas as I do every year.

Tippy Toes
18-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I have been thinking about this too :blush:

This year Im thinking of being closed christmas eve and opening back up on the 4th Jan. (My 2yr old daughters bday on the 3rd.)

I just think I never have any time off, probably 2 weeks in the whole yr and thats including the christmas break! I have two young children of my own a soon to be 5yr old and a 2yr old and it will be nice to have some quality time with them!

If you do decide to open make sure you charge extra! :clapping:

sandy64
18-08-2010, 02:52 PM
up until last yr i use to work right through xmas apart from xmas day boxing day and new yr day and charged normal rate through rest of hols but now i finish day before xmas day until after new yrs day and its so good to be off with my own 2 lo and thats the way it will stay lol:)

tashaleee
18-08-2010, 02:54 PM
My last working day is always 23rd Dec and I reopen on the first working day of the new year (2nd Jan onwards).

I now refuse to work between Christmas and New Year and all parents know this when they sign up to me - I found it got very 'here and there' when I did work it so I would be doing everything and just having a child an odd day which I didnt enjoy and wanted to be with my own family. I did once agree to have one child... but then they were ill so I didnt have them either :)

Bushpig
18-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Last year I worked through the season... except for the week btwn Christmas and NY. This year I'll be in SA for a month over Christmas :D so I'll be c.l.o.s.e.d.

rickysmiths
18-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I have been thinking about this too :blush:

This year Im thinking of being closed christmas eve and opening back up on the 4th Jan. (My 2yr old daughters bday on the 3rd.)

timeve anyI just think I never ha off, probably 2 weeks in the whole yr and thats including the christmas break! I have two young children of my own a soon to be 5yr old and a 2yr old and it will be nice to have some quality time with them!

If you do decide to open make sure you charge extra! :clapping:

Why? You should have written into your contracts that you have a min of 4 weeks off a year and don't feel in the slightest guilty. The min holiday an employed person has is 25 days a year. As a childminder you work physically hard and the job is mentally demanding. You, like your parents need time off and time with your family to wind down and re-charge your batteries.

rickysmiths
18-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi,

Scully x

When my children were little I always had the time off between Christmas and New Year. They are now 15 and 17 and for the last 10 years I have offered parents the option to use me between Christmas and New Year because I remember when I was working I liked to go in at this time because it is often quiet and I could catch up on work.

I don't charge any extra because it is normal work time, I only charge more if they want me to work a Bank holiday.

julie w
18-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I definitely never work between Christmas and new year, and as I havent had a summer holiday this year I will be finishing the same day as the schools (19th ) and back on 2nd. It's so nice to have all my decorations and Christmassy bits and pieces out knowing the place wont be trashed. I'll do lots of Christmasssy things with the children leading up to the break, but then its my time. We really need it. I also found that when my own children were younger I didnt want them to have to take all their new toys up to their bedroom so soon after Christmas. :thumbsup:

Mookins
18-08-2010, 04:04 PM
just asked hubby his thoughts for xmas as i need to decide closing times and his reply was.....christmas has been cancelled its too expensive:eek:

:D :laughing:

xx

bekki0405
18-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure what to do. I am closed from the 24th, I don't work Fridays anyway. I wont work the 27th or the 28th, but am not sure whether to go back on the Wed, or to take Wed and Thurs off, and open on the following Tues.
I am tempted to take the whole week off. I have young children, I just worry about losing money.
Hmmmm?????

Stillgoingstrong
18-08-2010, 04:23 PM
If you have young children then I would without question have Christmas to after New Year off - I dont have little kids and I dont work it, never ever have and have already made it clear to everyone that I do not work.
Sometimes you have to put money aside and have family time and your home to yourself for once:D

green puppy
18-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I take 2 weeks in august and 2 weeks at christmas to coincide with school hols. I explain this at the start and write it into my contracts so there are no misunderstandings, I also put that any change to this will be confirmed in writing with notice given.

snufflepuff
18-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Don't forget that Monday 27th counts as a bank holiday this year, in lieu of Boxing day. (Eg boxing day is usually a bank hol but as it's on a Sunday the bank hol is moved forward a day.)
My partner has to work up until Xmas eve (only half day) so i'll probably make the 23rd Dec my last day. Then ideally open again on 3rd Jan- think i'll see what the chances are of parents needing me in between. Don't think i mind working one day.

sarah707
18-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I will close from Christmas Even to the start of the January term.

I recently confirmed with parents that I would not be working Christmas Eve and they were quite happy with that.

I think you are absolutely right to consider it in advance then everyone knows where they stand :D

Playmate
18-08-2010, 08:04 PM
We are having 2 full weeks this year, so finish on the friday before and don't start again until 4th Jan :clapping:

estrelas
18-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Last year i worked it all, as two of the parents are nurses. i even worked nyd :eek: , this year i am going to take a week off i think as i need some quality time off with my daughter

I will be doing a newsletter in september when they all start back x

PixiePetal
18-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I never work inbetween Christmas and New Year. I don't work Fridays so will be off on Christmas Eve anyway :thumbsup: I will start back on the 3rd Jan :)

I don't have a summer hol so need a break by Christmas and will have family staying too

karen m
18-08-2010, 08:12 PM
i close normal time christmas eve up to now that will be 4.30 unless any new lo starts before then of christmas day ,boxing day back in next day off new years day work all athor times if required,we would all like time off lucky mine children are all grown up but what about nurses,doctors ,police who would also like time off

Mouse
18-08-2010, 08:12 PM
I take the same time off as school holidays. I always have done and I tell parents when they come for their very first visit that I close over Christmas.

In all my years of minding, it's never been a problem.

MissTinkerbell
19-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I also finish 23rd and start back the day after NYD if its a weekday. I'm lucky because my parents are teachers so are off annyway and the others have been in the RAF and they shut down for 2 sometimes 3 weeks over the festive period.

balijay
19-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I am lucky this year in that I am starting my maternity leave at the end of Oct (baby due 18/11/10) and not starting back until after 1/2 term in Feb :clapping: On a normal year I would be closed I think from christmas eve until the schools go back in January.

(I am still thinking of having a christmas party for my mindees though...someone talk me out of it quick!! :laughing: )

ChocolateChip
19-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't mind working Christmas Eve as my oh is in retail so chances are he will be working anyway, but I have put a stop to working between Christmas and New Year, I did it before and i found it impossible to get the house properly straight with all the kids presents and stuff everywhere. Besides it is their Christmas aswell so actually I feel my kids need to have me to themselves for a few days of the year.

EllaBella
19-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I only take christma day, and new years day off , cant afford not to take more time really x

sfox2003
19-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Ive booked off 24th, 30th & 31st. Its a bit naughty really but my holidays are not paid so cant afford to book the whole thing off. Im secretly hoping people dont bring their lo's in between - but you never know they probably will knowing my luck.

Was thinking of asking people in December to let me know if there are any days their child will not be attending - or is this cheeky & a little obvious?

jibberjitz
19-08-2010, 06:15 PM
I take the full 2 weeks (school holiday) off over Christmas as I love the build up with my kids:laughing:

Hebs
19-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I take the full 2 weeks (school holiday) off over Christmas as I love the build up with my kids:laughing:

so do i but i think the mindees add to the excitement :D
and as we are going out for christmas dinner then i dont mind as i dont have any prep work to do x

Baileys'n'cream
20-08-2010, 08:54 PM
As Christmas Day is a Saturday & Boxing Day is a Sunday, the following Monday & Tuesday are bank holidays :D

I know this as I currently work on a mon & tues (am pre-reg so not minding) and have just doubled checked in my diary :clapping:

ORKSIE
20-08-2010, 10:50 PM
i am off between xmas and new year. It will be my second week of hols this year...So i think i deserve some time with my family

xxx

Millenium
21-08-2010, 06:42 AM
I only take the fixed holidays off so this year it will just be Monday 27th that I will not be working as Christmas day, Boxing day and New Year day are at the weekends. Most of my parents are working so need the childcare.

maisiemog
21-08-2010, 07:15 AM
All my parents already know my Christmas opening hours! Last day at work is 23rd Dec. First day back is 4th Jan.

love381
21-08-2010, 07:43 AM
I work 365 days a year and yes, that does sometimes mean Christmas day. One parent is a nurse and single parent and NEEDS my support. Some years I've had him, some years I've not. It's down to who will work those dates and if nobody will then sometimes the parent has to - iyswim! It works for us, he's part of our immediate family really, like I've got 5 kids of my own not 4!!!!! x

mushpea
21-08-2010, 02:25 PM
i will be shut from 24th till they go back to school. whilst mine are young (ish) i dont want to work between christmas and new year as i value this as family time and dont want my kids to have to take their stuff up stairs to early plus its my birthday on the 29th dec :D
when mine are older i may consider working inbetween, would probably see what the demand is.

Hebs
21-08-2010, 02:48 PM
i would work christmas day if i was needed, my kids are older so they wouldnt mind (both now non believers :( ) so having a little one would make it magical again :)

Chimps Childminding
21-08-2010, 05:13 PM
I usually close the same time as the schools and reopen when they do. Last year tho, and possibly this, I may work till 22nd as the schools finish on the 17th which seems too early to me.

I think the schools should finish on the 23rd (sorry school teachers :D )and then let the children have longer off after christmas, as it seems they only just get their presents and its time to go back to school :eek:

I am going to see who might need me the 3 days leading up to christmas before I decide whether to offer or not, don't really want to be working for just one child iyswim :blush: :blush:

karensmart4
21-08-2010, 06:29 PM
When I first started minding I only closed on the christmas bank hols, but I found I had no time for my own family....they all, I mean all as in 23 of them arrive on christmas day and various ones go home and come back daily for a few days but the majority stay. :eek: :clapping: :clapping:

I love christmas..... :jump for joy:

So now I take the same time off as the local schools :thumbsup: