PDA

View Full Version : Late Arriving!

Dare4Distance
18-08-2010, 08:12 AM
What do you do when your mindees are late in the morning? I look after a brother and sister and they are supposed to be here for 8:30, it's now 9:10 and still no sign or word from the mother. They only live at the bottom of the road :rolleyes: I don't have other mindees so can't go out and say I had plans. How long do you wait around for them before giving up?

Dare4Distance
18-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Would it be unreasonable to review my late policy and say something like once it is an hour past their start time and I have heard nothing from them I will assume they no longer need my care for the day? Wouldn't help for today but would for future.

margaret
18-08-2010, 08:19 AM
If not arrived within half hour of dropping of time and i have no other children i go out,i hang around for no one ,extremely bad manners not letting you know they are late and shouldnt expect you to hang about.

Dare4Distance
18-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm going to wait till half past and then go out. We usually take the dogs out at 9:00 and they are bouncing off the walls :rolleyes:

margaret
18-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Take the dogs for a walk ,she might get the idea if she does turn up that its up to her to inform you ,not up to you to chase her up and wait in for her ,what a cheek,no manners.

little chickee
18-08-2010, 08:31 AM
i would assume that they are not coming and go about your day as usual.

If this means going out then go out. Its extreme bas manners not to call and let you know although i always try and remember that something might have happened (accident maybe) and shes been too caught up to call - unlikely but possible.

charlie potato
18-08-2010, 08:41 AM
you never know she may have slept in. maybe a quick call to her? At least you'd know the score. xx

Daftbat
18-08-2010, 08:46 AM
What about the old fashioned idea of talking to them?

I have a customer who doesn't rush to get here in the holidays but we discussed it and they are always here by ten and are happy to be here earlier if i have plans to go out.Rather than resort to contractual debates and late policies its got to be better to talk to customers and find out exactly what they are needing to do. My customer who comes late still pays the proper rate and so i don't see any problems.

Mouse
18-08-2010, 08:54 AM
During term time parents know what time I leave the house & know that they have to be here on time, or come & find me wherever I am.

During the holidays we're more laid back about it. If we're going out I tell parents in advance, so they know to be here on time. If they're late, again, they know they'll have to contact me & find me wherever I am. If we're not going out, it doesn't matter when they arrive - I just take the time to have an extra coffee :laughing:

Mollymop
18-08-2010, 08:57 AM
I agree it is bad manners if it they are often late without letting you know.

When mindee comes I would ask parent to arrive at the same time everyday so you can get on with your plans. Tell them that you are ok with them coming later in the holidays but would prefer to know when they are coming as you don't like waiting around. I have a parent who comes later in the holidays, i still get paid as per termtime contract, but we have arranged it so I am not waiting around for them to come.

Last term I went on the school run without a mindee as parent was consitantly late and even though we spoke about it over and over I would wait for her. It got too much in the end and I was rushing up the school the children almost late, just for her:mad: , so I went without them. She wasn't late again.

HELEN10
18-08-2010, 09:07 AM
If not arrived within half hour of dropping of time and i have no other children i go out,i hang around for no one ,extremely bad manners not letting you know they are late and shouldnt expect you to hang about.

After putting up with this for far too long this is exactly what i do now, it is so rude!!

Dare4Distance
18-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Well she text at 10:00 to say

"Hi jo sorry not let you know sooner. I'm not going into work today. I'm not well."

Well that's all well and good but an hour and a half after the children were due?

My customer who comes late still pays the proper rate and so i don't see any problems.

My customer is usually about 10/15 mins late and always pays the proper rate too but it does matter. I hate waiting around not knowing what's going on. All it takes is a text these days, it's not even like they need to call. If I know someone is going to be an hour late then it's fine, I can relax and have an extra hour to myself in the morning but when I've not heard from them I can't relax or do anything because I keep thinking "they'll be here in a minute".

maryp0ppins
18-08-2010, 11:31 AM
During holidays I have a lo (7yrs) that's down on the books for 9am......normally arrives between 10-10.45am, with toothbrush & paste in hand & no breakfast (I don't provide meals, never have, bring your own food in my setting)......

mum never texts me or calls me to let me know, just turns up & expects me to be here...

I am usually clearing breakfast pots or getting pushchairs out for the day.
But 1 day I'll be out when they arrive & I know mum would be fuming!!

When i have a day out planned he's here on time (normally)..there have been a couple of occasions where words were not needed as you could read the anger in my face!!

She turns up when she likes too & expects her lo to be ready :mad:

aly
18-08-2010, 11:37 AM
if not here half hour past normal time I would text...I would rather know then hang around wondering what if..yes its bad manners not letting you know but why not ring/text them that way you go about your normal routine..i know its not our call to chase but id rather know so i can carry on.

AliceK
18-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I agree it is bad manners if it they are often late without letting you know.

When mindee comes I would ask parent to arrive at the same time everyday so you can get on with your plans. Tell them that you are ok with them coming later in the holidays but would prefer to know when they are coming as you don't like waiting around. I have a parent who comes later in the holidays, i still get paid as per termtime contract, but we have arranged it so I am not waiting around for them to come.

Last term I went on the school run without a mindee as parent was consitantly late and even though we spoke about it over and over I would wait for her. It got too much in the end and I was rushing up the school the children almost late, just for her:mad: , so I went without them. She wasn't late again.

I've had to do this on numerous occasions.
It's just bad manners to not call / text to let us know if they are going to be late.

xxxxxx

sfox2003
18-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I have a couple of mindees who arrive whenever they want. They think that because they are booked in for a full day 8am - 6pm they dont need to tell me when they are getting here so they arrive whenever they want. Its been 10.30 some days.

I get really angry because its just so inconsiderate. I go out most mornings to childrens centres, nature walks, activity classes. Im always waiting around for these people while the other children in my care climb the walls.

My hubby says he understands my frustration but they are the customer & are paying me so are within their rights to drop off whenever.

I think they should have to tell me just to be fair on the other kids.

I often send a text around 9am if theyve not arrived asking what time they are coming & shall I wait in or do they want to meet me out.

One of my mindees quite often sleeps in until after 9am (so do parents):eek: Ive had many mornings where Ive text to ask what time they are coming & theyve turned up 15 mins later lo half dressed, hair a mess, & unprepared ie no milk, change of clothes or nappies. Same happened today, poor lo has no milk so shes struggled to nod off for her nap. They are a nice family though.

What really annoys me is when they arrive late & so assume being 15 mins late for pick up is acceptable. IT IS NOT - I have a life too!!!! Too soft though & never say anything. Most of the time neither do they either - they dont even acknowledge they are late!

gigglinggoblin
18-08-2010, 12:43 PM

If they have signed to say they agree to abide by your policies and your policy is that you wont wait in past 9am unless they have contacted you then they either get in touch or miss you. If your policy is to let them turn up whenever and you will wait in for them then they can do that. Its up to you what your policy is, sounds like its time to decide!

AliceK
18-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I have a couple of mindees who arrive whenever they want. They think that because they are booked in for a full day 8am - 6pm they dont need to tell me when they are getting here so they arrive whenever they want. Its been 10.30 some days.

I get really angry because its just so inconsiderate. I go out most mornings to childrens centres, nature walks, activity classes. Im always waiting around for these people while the other children in my care climb the walls.

My hubby says he understands my frustration but they are the customer & are paying me so are within their rights to drop off whenever.

I often send a text around 9am if theyve not arrived asking what time they are coming & shall I wait in or do they want to meet me out.

One of my mindees quite often sleeps in until after 9am (so do parents):eek: Ive had many mornings where Ive text to ask what time they are coming & theyve turned up 15 mins later lo half dressed, hair a mess, & unprepared ie no milk, change of clothes or nappies. Same happened today, poor lo has no milk so shes struggled to nod off for her nap. They are a nice family though.

What really annoys me is when they arrive late & so assume being 15 mins late for pick up is acceptable. IT IS NOT - I have a life too!!!! Too soft though & never say anything. Most of the time neither do they either - they dont even acknowledge they are late!

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that at all. On the contracts it states "contracted hours" so IF they are going to be late they should either let you know in advance or if they don't then they have to take the risk that you might not be in. When i've got 6 kids here we are not going to sit around waiting for 1 child to just turn up when the parent feels like it. Plus if they think that a late drop-off equals a late pick-up they might soon change their mind if they had late pick-up charged to their next invoice.
Can you tell I'm fed up of being taken advantage off :blush:

xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
18-08-2010, 01:08 PM

I also think that he is wrong. If I waited around all day for when each of my parents arrived and dropped off I would never go anywhere.

I am being paid to look after a lot of children and why shouldn't we go and do what we need to if another parent is late and doesn't bother to call.

On the first couple of instances I call the parent and then on the 3rd I text and say what the time is and that I am leaving the house and if they want to catch up with me I will be at ... and if not will be back home by .... It doesn't take long before they are on time.

sfox2003
18-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Perhaps I should create an arrivals policy. Will be nervous to give it to parents though because their ones who its been created for will know its because of them.

I like them you see, we have a good chat & a laugh when they drop off/collect. Trouble is, they take advantage of my good nature.

I dont agree with my hubby either. Although he doesnt agree with the parents being late, he wasnt sure there was anything I could do about it - there is - create a policy :)

Carol M
18-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I just refer them back to my policy which they have signed to say they have read and understood, if it becomes a problem for me.
My policy for drop off and collection states that parents need to inform me if children will not be arriving at contracted time and all about other children in my care, going out, meals, pick ups etc . My parents now are good at keeping me informed but in the past I have had to mention the problems it causes me if i am not informed.
I based my policy around the Bromley one.
I must say I find it bad manners for parents to just assume you are at their beck and call.
Carol xx

blue bear
18-08-2010, 05:09 PM
my parents know if I'm not in when they arrive late they have to ring to find out where I am and drop child to me. If I know I'm going further afield I let them know in advance and if they are still late it's up to them to come to me.

If they are late and I'm home I get the kettle on!!