PDA

View Full Version : the summer off EYFS

sweets
17-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Well ive done it!

ive not done any obs or anything to do with EYFS since the start off the summer hols and im not starting again till september. so there mrs ofsted :p

any else done the same?

beerheaven
17-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't do any observations during school holidays - one of my little ones is term time only anyway. I am way too busy with all the kids - big and little!

Obviously I am still meeting all the welfare requirements, I'm just not doing any EYFS related paperwork - bliss!! :)

miffy
17-08-2010, 10:26 PM
No such luck - I'm still trying to catch up with paperwork! I can't switch off, I find myself making notes anyway.

At least 3 of my EYFS mindees are term-time only so have given mums a notebook to record what they do, places they visit etc over the holidays. :)

Miffy xx

cher25
17-08-2010, 10:50 PM
I have had no choice but to make notes. lol I mind a 7 month old and she is starting to do so many new thing's now it's hard to switch off from eyfs. lol

sarah707
18-08-2010, 06:49 AM
I'm sorry but I don't understand.

Why would you break the law because it's the summer holidays? :huh:

sweets
18-08-2010, 06:58 AM

its cause i is naughty and i hate EYFS and i want a break from it! im sure the kids also like not having a camera stuck in their face every 2 mins and me not sitting at the table writing mindless stuff up. :D

Pipsqueak
18-08-2010, 07:07 AM
No, 'fraid I don't give myself the summer off. Obs carry on as normal ergo EYFS - its just what I do iyswim.
I love taking photos and most of my obs photos the kids don't even know I am taking, I prefer taking pix that the kids are unaware of, saying that I don't take loads.

I am temporary minding two of my friends mindees this week as well, so I am planning to do a scrapbook (one is within EYFS) to give to the kids/minder friend!

And I just realised, own son goes out of EYFS range at the end of this month:clapping: :clapping:

Hebs
18-08-2010, 07:08 AM

i dont think ofsted would rap our knuckles for not doing obs over the summer :laughing:

Sweets..... No i have not done ANY obs over the summer, but i do have LOADS of photos from our days out and activities etc to show that the kids have been doing fun educational stuff but no.... no activities specific to EYFS or obs :thumbsup:

sweets
18-08-2010, 07:13 AM
i have taken a few photos but not as many as usual!, took some yesterday when we went puddle splashing but im just not writing them up, they will be put on the didital photo frame to enjoy but thats it.:D

angeldelight
18-08-2010, 07:38 AM
I do my obs come rain or shine - whatever time of the year it is :laughing:

I may be behind with them sometimes but they are always in note form ready to go in the journals

I would find it hard to be honest to have all of the holidays off when so many of my younger children have let their hair down with the older ones and done so many new things

I do actually find it a nice time of the year to do more obs than usual because of all the nice things we do

Angel xxx

Pauline
18-08-2010, 01:09 PM
its cause i is naughty and i hate EYFS and i want a break from it! im sure the kids also like not having a camera stuck in their face every 2 mins and me not sitting at the table writing mindless stuff up. :D

Do you think you are doing too much if you find you need a break?

All I do is make a few notes and take photos like I always did, even before EYFS then write up later.

Don't bog yourself down with it till it gets you feeling like this :( try to lessen the load on yourself. :thumbsup:

Carol M
18-08-2010, 01:23 PM
My lo's are TTO, so no EYFS for me all summer!!
I still have to write up last terms EYFS overviews but will do that last week of hols when I am on hols(staycation). Will get everything set up ready for new term eg displays , new topic laminating and finish activity planning also still got to do accounts and submit.
I have already sorted out my childminding cupboard and started to re do notice board. Have bought new frames from Ikea (bright cols, lovely) for certificates in hall and man is cleaning my carpets as i speak!
Roll on Christmas:laughing:
Carol xx

margaret
18-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I am under the impression we do EYFS all year round ,correct me if i am wrong .Cannot understand why everyone is talking Christmas in August.Noticeboards,displays ,laminating - dont you get the kids to help you do this in work time and get children to help you tidy and clean cupboards ,my mindees love doing this,especially if water involved.

moogster1a
18-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm with Sweets.
And it's certainly not against the law not to write down the ridiculous assessments etc. over the summer.
In fact, you never need to write any down at all. As long as you can prove you know where your children are at in terms of development, which could be stored in your mind.
EYFS guidelines are very clear that no written records need to be kept in terms of assessments, unwanted learning journies etc.
Can we also start a smug award of the day?!! A lot of the replies were exceptionally patronising and dare I say written by people who love to cross the t's and dot the i's

Carol M
18-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm with Sweets.
And it's certainly not against the law not to write down the ridiculous assessments etc. over the summer.
In fact, you never need to write any down at all. As long as you can prove you know where your children are at in terms of development, which could be stored in your mind.
EYFS guidelines are very clear that no written records need to be kept in terms of assessments, unwanted learning journies etc.
Can we also start a smug award of the day?!! A lot of the replies were exceptionally patronising and dare I say written by people who love to cross the t's and dot the i's

OOOOOOooo Errrrrrrrrrrr....... patronising???

Carol M
18-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I am under the impression we do EYFS all year round ,correct me if i am wrong .Cannot understand why everyone is talking Christmas in August.Noticeboards,displays ,laminating - dont you get the kids to help you do this in work time and get children to help you tidy and clean cupboards ,my mindees love doing this,especially if water involved.

EYFS only has to be followed if you have children in the EYFS stage!
No , I don't get the children to help do my notice board, they are too little to be able to use drawing pins safely and when I RA'd the possibility of them using a step ladder to reach the noticeboard.... well.
Obviously the childrens work, pics, paintings, collections I stick on the display walls.
Well I can't wait for Christmas. I get so excited, I'm just a big kid really and come September we are on countdown to Xmas:huh:
Carol xx

Pipsqueak
18-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm with Sweets.

i beg your pardon? perhaps you do not mean to come across like you have done.

A lot of the replies where given by people who are extremely dedicated and hard working - not the 'jobs worths' you seem to imply with your final and rather offensive comments.

EYFS IS the law and its applicable 365 days a year where a provider is working, it may say about not having to have written documentation but to adequately prove to Ofsted that you are providing what you say you are - it would be a rare person who could prove it without some kind of written information. So really, yes, you do need written documentation. I don't have a document open in front of me but I am sure that EYFS actually says that childminders do not need written policies and procedures.

No one has had a pop at sweets and each to their own.

zillervalley
18-08-2010, 05:35 PM
dont know about the law , but if you didnt have photo prove to show ofsted then how can you prove that you actually did the things you speak about.

just a thought

Mouse
18-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I think you'll probably find you all follow EYFS all through the summer hols, even if you don't think you do!

There are no requirements to write anything down. As long as you know where the children are at, what their interests are, how you can help them along, you are following EYFS. Childminders did all that way before EYFS came in & will be doing it way after EYFS has been replaced by the next new thing! Just because you don't write it down it doesn't mean your not doing it.

And I bet you all do planning right the way through the hols - you know which children you've got, what they like to do, where they'd like to go etc and you plan what to do round that. Even if you stay at home & get a load of toys out, you're still planning as you'll be getting out the toys suitable for the children you're having - planning for their individual needs.

Perhaps if people are finding EYFS too time consuming, they're doing too much :o

Pipsqueak
18-08-2010, 05:56 PM
The assessment arrangements
Assessment during the EYFS
2.19 Ongoing assessment is an integral part of the learning and development process. Providers
must ensure that practitioners are observing children and responding appropriately to help
them make progress from birth towards the early learning goals. Where practitioners require
additional training in order to assess capably and objectively, it is the responsibility of the
provider to ensure practitioners receive the support that they need. Assessments should be
based on practitioners’ observation of what children are doing in their day-to-day activities. As
judgements are based on observational evidence gathered from a wide range of learning and
teaching contexts, it is expected that all adults who interact with the child should contribute to the
process, and that account will be taken of information provided by parents. An essential feature
of parental involvement is an ongoing dialogue, building on the partnership begun by any previous
practitioner(s). Settings should report progress and achievements to parents throughout the EYFS.
2.20 The Practice Guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage sets out detailed formative
assessment suggestions in the ‘Look, listen and note’ sections of the areas of Learning and
Development. Practitioners should:
■■ make systematic observations and assessments of each child’s achievements, interests and
learning styles;
■■ use these observations and assessments to identify learning priorities and plan relevant and
motivating learning experiences for each child;
■■ match their observations to the expectations of the early learning goals.

Not sure how you could 'prove' or demonstrate all this to Ofsted if you haven't got anything written down - even in note form.

This next part is where its says CM's don't need written P&P's:
3.9 Schools will not be required to have separate policies for the EYFS provided that the
requirements are met through their policies which cover children of statutory school age.
Childminders will be expected to ensure that any assistants are aware of all policies and
procedures, and that they are able to clearly define them for parents and others as and when
requested. However, it will not be necessary for childminders to have written copies of these
policies and procedures.

This is what providers MUST do:
Specific legal requirements
Providers must have effective systems to ensure that the individual needs of all children are met.Each child must be assigned a key person. In childminding settings, the childminder is the key person.
Providers must promote equality of opportunity and anti-discriminatory practice and must ensure
that every child is included and not disadvantaged because of ethnicity, culture or religion, home
language, family background, learning difficulties or disabilities, gender or ability.
Providers must ensure that there is a balance of adult-led and freely-chosen or child-initiated
activities, delivered through indoor and outdoor play.
Providers must undertake sensitive observational assessment in order to plan to meet young
children’s individual needs.
Providers must plan and provide experiences which are appropriate to each child’s stage of
development as they progress towards the early learning goals.

Again, not sure how you could demonstrate this without written documentation.

I can't for the life of me find where it says that CM's do not have to have written obs, assessment etc - only where its says P&P's. It tells us we must have effective systems in place for obs etc - i would love to know the brain box who can keep all this system in their heads ready to demonstrate to Ofsted - please teach me - I can barely remember yesterday sometimes !!! lol

zillervalley
18-08-2010, 06:03 PM
well said pip

sweets
18-08-2010, 06:10 PM
ooh eerr! i dodnt want to cause an arguement :blush:

i havnt found anybodies replies patronising! everybody has there own opinion and are entitled to disagree or agree. I was probably being a bit strong when i said i hate EYFS, i dont really! i dont particulaly like it and im proud of my self in the way i do the minimum required and still got a good in my inspection.. if the EYFS is going to stay (which i hope it doesnt) then i do think that childminders should have to do it along with other early years providers. i am only having the summer off from doing written obs, i hardly do any written plans anyway as i prefer not to plan and go with the flow of what we feel like doing on the day.

Pauline
18-08-2010, 08:39 PM

i havnt found anybodies replies patronising! everybody has there own opinion and are entitled to disagree or agree. I was probably being a bit strong when i said i hate EYFS, i dont really! i dont particulaly like it and im proud of my self in the way i do the minimum required and still got a good in my inspection.. if the EYFS is going to stay (which i hope it doesnt) then i do think that childminders should have to do it along with other early years providers. i am only having the summer off from doing written obs, i hardly do any written plans anyway as i prefer not to plan and go with the flow of what we feel like doing on the day.

You haven't caused an arguement you have started a really interesting debate. :thumbsup: and I agree with you, no replies were patronising. :)

Like you I often go with the flow of what seems right for the day, that is the beauty of childminding if it seems right any plan can go out of the window and make way for unplanned events. :thumbsup:

loocyloo
18-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Like you I often go with the flow of what seems right for the day, that is the beauty of childminding if it seems right any plan can go out of the window and make way for unplanned events. :thumbsup:

i had all sorts of plans for the 3 days i was working this week ... not a single day has gone according to 'my' plan ! :clapping: the children have been experiencing the world/people/nature, building, constructing, working together, sharing ideas, talking/singing/dancing, roleplay and other games, climbing/running/swinging/riding (bikes), cooking, reading, creating .... and we have had so much fun!

(and i even had my screamer who i hadn't seen for 3 weeks ... and LO didn't scream !:clapping: :clapping: )

and i've just taken loads of photos and stuck them in diaries and development books!

Chell
18-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I've used it as an opportunity to do more than normal. I mind a five year old who is just coming to the end of EYFS. She started with my in March when I registered as a CM and come after school during term time. In that time she just wants to play, have dinenr etc. Having her here 9-6 everyday has given us the chance to go lots of places, do baking, craft actvities, etc. We've recorded all of this in her learnign journey.

Pipsqueak
18-08-2010, 09:33 PM

nope Sweets you haven't caused an argument and I didn't think you'd find the replies patronising - you are very much an easy going person who values everyones opinion and view. You also know us well and know no harm is meant!:D

angiemog
19-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Maybe I'm still missing the point..... My obs only take me 2 minutes to write up. I do a quick sentence about what they were doing, link it in with areas of learning and plan a next step which I then put in my diary. When I have time I print off a page of pics at the same time and add it. I probably do one a every fortnight sometimes more sometimes less. As soon as I notice something then I write it in my notebook, date time and child's name and whether I've taken a photo. If I'm able to then I may grab a sheet there and then and write it up. I don't find it time consuming. The same with the funny things they say, I put it in their notebook then when I do my parent info/update/plans I add them in. I have a separate book for each of them for days out photos as this works better for me. I date their art/pictures I would like to keep for their folder or I take a copy of it and slide it in. If I am very behind then I can spend an hour or so at the weekend or an evening. Having said about the summer..... have done less only because I've had a holiday, some mindees have too, we've been out alot more, my summer planning all went out the window........ following the weather and all the mindees interests.
The one thing I haven't grasped..... is following/ticking off where they are on the grids most of my obs are the wow moments/ new things like fitting 2 pieces of puzzles together, using the ride on cars.......
Am I missing something that I should be doing ?

Hebs
19-08-2010, 06:36 AM
well i haven't done a single written obs this summer BUT we have had an extensive range of outings and activities with the children and have taken loads of photos (over 1000 so far!!!) so i can prove what we have been doing and i know alot of the activities/outings do link to eyfs but i have been too busy with the kids ... between 8 and 11 kids every day this is going up to 12 kids for the last 2 weeks of the hols.

I have had time off from eyfs paperwork but eyfs itself.