PDA

View Full Version : A bit worried about advertising

MrsShell
17-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Morning everyone!

This may sound a bit silly but I am feeling a bit worried about advertising my business.:blush:

I live in a reasonably large village and there are already quite a few cms here and a lot of them are not full either. I knew this before I got registered, but decided I wanted to go ahead anyway because it was what I wanted to do.

I have advertised on all the usual websites but feel slightly embarrassed to do leaflet drops around the village or postcards in shop windows etc because all the other cms will see them and may think I am trying to take work away from them (not that I will, because parents will probably choose the more established ones anyway!).

I do know some of the cms to speak to because I currently work part time at the local pre-school. However, most of them are established and have tended to pair off or go out in groups and I don't want to make enemies of them.

Has anyone else had the same concerns or is it just me being stupid and worrying too much about what others think?!:blush:

Michelle x

heatherw
17-08-2010, 09:31 AM
When i started advertising i did feel a bit silly doing it but i think most people do. I wouldn't worry about what the other cms think cus theyve been in the same boat as you as some point.

Mookins
17-08-2010, 09:34 AM
i think youneed to stop worrying about what other people think else you will never get any mindees!!!!

cobblers what others think and there groups youre not at school...:)

sorry but you are as bad as a friiend of mine always worried what people will think lol:D

xxx

crazyhazy
17-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I felt similar to you and it was a reason I didn't do any leaflet drops, I did put posters up in the local shops etc though and am now pretty much full (registered in april). Once I started paying more attention to the local childminders I realised quite a few of them were actually fuller than I had thought and apart from one who has been a bit odd with me, the others I've spoke to have been lovely. If they are good at what they do they shouldn't be worrying about you starting x

flowerpots
17-08-2010, 09:51 AM
hi hun, i was exactlt the same, i didnt wantto do a leflet drop because i had 6 chidminders within 4 roads of where i live, i advertised a little bit but without much response, anyway i decided i didnt care what they think and took 400 leaflets to the local school to give out to the children, did a leaflet drop and put up posters anywhere and everywhere! as of yesterday i am full t bursting point with mindees and have 1 waiting for some space.

I think you should advertise evrywhereyou possibly can,the other childminders are very friendly and even though they are not yet full, the parents made the decision to use ME.

Get advertising and get yourself full o little mindees.

:D

MrsShell
17-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm glad to hear that others have had similar thoughts and it wasn't just me be overly sensitive!:blush:

Thanks Mookins for your advice. I guess I needed someone to give me a good telling off and not to worry about what anyone else thinks.:laughing:

So ladies, in a more determined fashion I have decided that I am going to advertise everywhere I can and try and get that phone ringing.

Thanks for your support. :thumbsup:

Michelle x

loocyloo
17-08-2010, 06:37 PM
when i started i was already a member of the local childminding group and when i had covered the place in fliers advertising my services, one minder told me that 'that isn't how we do it. we advertise as a group and then numbers are passed on to both parent & childminders looking for work' i said 'fine, but i'm still advertising for myself! if i can't help i will suggest the parent contacts the group!'

she was a bit funny about it, but i'd known her for years by then already and didn't take any great notice!

years on, i still advertise myself (although mainly online now) and still pass details on if i can't help!

just go for it!

Mookins
17-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm glad to hear that others have had similar thoughts and it wasn't just me be overly sensitive!:blush:

Thanks Mookins for your advice. I guess I needed someone to give me a good telling off and not to worry about what anyone else thinks.:laughing:

So ladies, in a more determined fashion I have decided that I am going to advertise everywhere I can and try and get that phone ringing.

Thanks for your support. :thumbsup:

Michelle x

:phew: really thought it sounded mean, gladyou didnt take it the wrong way

xxx