PDA

View Full Version : Not going to the toilet.

Dare4Distance
17-08-2010, 08:46 AM
When the parent came around and spoke to me about her 2 children she told me that R who is 5 is toilet trained and only has the odd accident when she's really engrossed in something. Lies! She has accidents ALL THE TIME! She never goes to the toilet. She will just stand there and wet herself and then tell me "I think I've done a wee" :rolleyes: I make her go to the toilet now every 30 mins yet she still does it :rolleyes: What would you do? They're only here for another 3 weeks.

blue bear
17-08-2010, 09:09 AM
is this the same 5 year old who says everything is hers?

attention seeking? what about a sticker chart for toilet?

ignore other attention seeking behaviour, reward positive in spades "you are so good saying thank you, wish everone was as well mannered as you" go right over the top, search for anything positve.

talk to mum about the problems honestly, say not worried but you want to help xxx, what happens at home/school.

dont argue with her you cant win with a 5 year old.

can't think of more, hope some one else helps

Dare4Distance
17-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Yea, it's the same 5 year old. Her mum really doesn't seem bothered about what they do or if she uses the toilet or not :rolleyes:
I've tried praise and the girl doesn't seem to be that bothered about it, at all. She has no manners either :rolleyes: I'm kinda looking forward to them going back to school :blush:

blue bear
17-08-2010, 01:12 PM
sounds hard work to me, no wonder you are looking forward to term time arriving!!

Could try sitting down with all children and make house rules with rewards for keeping them and sanctions for not. when she sees others being rewarded she might want to join in and copy their behaviour.

Other than that get yourself a calendar and count down the days lol !!

little chickee
17-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Unless it is a medical condition i could not have a child ( esp 5 yo ) in my house who was constantly wetting his/herself.

She either uses the toilet or its a pull up whilst at my house. And i do mean that. Maybe having to wear a pull up at 5 might make her try harder to use the toilet.

the other thing i would do - if you do think is lazyness rather than medical is have her change her clothes by herself and bag up the wet ones and then have her deal with the wet patch on your floor/carpet too - maybe if she knows that she will have to do this everytime she might also try harder to get to the toilet in time.

watgem
17-08-2010, 03:09 PM
If they were staying longer I would suggest a meeting with mum to determine whether there's a medical or emotional problem, and explain a chat with the health visitor might be advised, with 3 weeks to go its very difficult because it has implications for the other children, eg hygiene , planning to go out etc. Perhaps you could broach the subject with mum by explaining that the child is having a lot of accidents lately, and that a water infection might be possible, so could she take her to the doctor for a checkup? This might bring it to her mum's attention without her feeling singled out iyswim? These situations are very difficult if the parents are in denial, wishing you lots of luck my friend is in the same situationxxx

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
17-08-2010, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=
the other thing i would do - if you do think is lazyness rather than medical is have her change her clothes by herself and bag up the wet ones and then have her deal with the wet patch on your floor/carpet too - maybe if she knows that she will have to do this everytime she might also try harder to get to the toilet in time.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what i did with a mindee, the pant wetting soon stopped!

Dare4Distance
26-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Just an update:

I did what was suggested. Started making her put her own wet clothes in the nappy bag and clean the floor but she doesn't care :rolleyes: She likes doing it.
Also, today, she has wet herself 3 times, she's only been here for 3 and a half hours :rolleyes: I think she did it on purpose the last time becasue she wanted to wear the dress that was in her bag rather than trousers and the dress was her last change of clean clothes. She said, "That worked, I can wear my dress" :rolleyes:

Next week is their last week with me before she starts school. I'm not sure that the school will like changing her all day. You'd expect most 5 year olds to not wee themselves.:rolleyes:

funfunfun
26-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I have one at the mo like this .................and doesnt speak either or answer you "whispers" when is trouble

I have found that during the middle of the week he comes back to normal going to the toilot/less accidents ......its after the weekend mon-tue having accidents then telling me after.

Mindee has said he wears nappies at home so where do you go from there

little chickee
26-08-2010, 11:46 AM
If the child is in nappies at home then he will be in nappies at my house - its either / or not both.

the 5 yo i would def put in pull ups.