PDA

View Full Version : That's mine!

Dare4Distance
17-08-2010, 08:42 AM
The 5 year old girl I look after for 3 mornings a week allways thinks everything new is hers. She says things like "this is mine" "you bought this for me" and no matter how I try to explain that everything in the house is mine and I let her play with it, she doesn't understand. How would you go about explaining this? I bought 2 colouring books, ones where you can pull out pages. She grabbed one and said it's hers and said I'd bought it for her. I tried explaining that it was for everyone but she wont listen. I also bought a pushchair for the doll to go in and she says I bought that for her too and she's going to take it home :rolleyes:

AliceK
17-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I have the same problem but with mine it's the mindees and DD who are only 2yrs. Everything is mine mine mine which is normal at that age. I think in the case of a 5yr old who would understand better I would explain just once and then ignore the behaviour unless of course it's causing trouble with the other children.

xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I just say to mine "no it isn't yours it is Debbie's". I don't get into an argument about it and if they are not sharing I take it away

If she is persisting in wanting to take it home then pack away before the parent arrives and the tantrums start.

is it possible that she has the same thing at home and recognises it?

rachelle
17-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I wonder whether the parents are saying to her, "go and see what D4D has for you today" or similar and she's taking it literally?

I would just say, "I got it for you and xyz to play with here, do you have one at home?" Can see how it would be wearing though!

pinklady
17-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I agree with Debbie, tell her it's yours but that you're very kind and share all your toys with everyone.

kindredspirits
17-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I do the same as Debbie - i say 'no thats mine, you can play with it' or if its a toy that belongs to my son i say 'no thats georges he's very nice letting you share it' - and then pass it off. if a five year old continued to say 'no its mine you bought it for me' i would put the toy away and tell her firmly that it is yours - she is old enough to know better and to understand what you are saying - i don't do that to the 2/3yos tho! ;)

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
17-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I would say at the age of 5 she is fully aware that the toys are not hers and is simply trying it on.

Just keep doing what your doing now, tell her they are yours and arent u a kind person to share your toys with her :p