PDA

View Full Version : Is it because I'm rusty...

Tealady
16-08-2010, 11:19 PM
... or do I really not want to do this job anymore?

I haven't had much business this last year or so, some my choice as I had a baby last October and no potential full-timers wanting me because I was pregnant and worried I might change my mind about returning to work as promised.

Anyway, I was down to 2 schoolies, one before school only and one after school only, term time only too with nothing on the horizon as enquiries had been non-existant.

I am now down to just my breakfast boy as the after school girl left to go to another minder as my setting was too quiet apparantly. Although I wasn't bothered in one way as the parents really made use of the fact that as their DD was my only mindee I could be more flexible :angry: I was put out as I had been very accomodating and felt their DD was happy here.

Last week the phone rang and I had an enquiry for a baby two days a week. My initial reaction was yay! at last :clapping:. However, that feeling has passed :( .

When I had my full-timer before I loved my job, but now I'm dreading the thought of working with another family, that If I get the contract I won't somehow measure up.

Half of me want's to cancel the appointment and have a think, but part of me is looking forward to the possibility of expanding my numbers. If I do get the contract I don't want to start it then terminate as my heart isn't in it. I feel my confidence has been knocked and as and I'm quiet, I've gotten out of the swing of things (especially with EYFS). Can I get my Mojo back or should I call it a day?

love381
17-08-2010, 02:59 AM
The decision to do it or to call it a day is yours. Only you will know what you REALLY want to do. Perhaps you are looking for an "excuse" to leave already in your mind. You must sit and think it all through.

As for starting and then terminating, you don't want to do that and I understand as I'd never want to do it either. However, you could start it up with NO intention of terminating at all and then find that you HAVE to terminate because you have no other business and no choice financially etc. You never know, this new mindee might be the making of your business again. You could pop to a mum's and tot's type thing and find another full timer and get totally back into the swing of things again.

x

sarah707
17-08-2010, 06:36 AM
It is so easy to lose your confidence when you haven't worked in any job for a while!

Childminding is harder still because you are on your own so much and only have yourself to motivate you.

I'd suggest a meet up with some childminder friends and a chat with them. Get a feel for the job again.

xx

miffy
17-08-2010, 06:50 AM
I'd suggest you meet the potential new mindee and her parents and see how you feel then - it could help you decide whether you want to carry on childminding or not and two days a week is a nice way to ease yourself back in.

Miffy xx

singlewiththree
17-08-2010, 07:04 AM
If its any help I feel the same. I've been struggling with children lately and have had 2 leave for different reasons. I now have any enquiry coming Thurs and my initial reaction was great but now I'm not so sure. I think it is down to the fact I haven't had any enquiries for ages and my confidence has had a knock by the complaint I had. Stick with it, see the family and I think our initial reactions are our gut reactions and really we just need to be busy with children and then we will feel better.

AliceK
17-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I'd suggest you meet the potential new mindee and her parents and see how you feel then - it could help you decide whether you want to carry on childminding or not and two days a week is a nice way to ease yourself back in.

Miffy xx

Agree. At least meet with them and see how you feel :thumbsup:

xxxx

Tealady
19-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I was feeling a bit more motivated as my breakfast boy came for a few hours on Tuesday and we had a lovely time. I've also been recollecting the lovely times I've had a childminder and know it is something I want to do.

So I Texted the potential mum to confirm appointment is still OK ( I do this as I've been stood up too many times in the past). Yes, she was still on. Texted me this morning to confirm my address, but it was the wrong one so sent her correct one.

She then rang me back to say that she had looked over her notes and realised that I do a school run, so not right for her daughter so wouldn't be coming after all. Bit of a shame really as I didn't get to explain that I do try and make the school run more than just a bundle in and then out of the car again (unless it's bucketing down with rain).

How to go from :) to :( in one fell swoop!

singlewiththree
19-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm so sorry about your enquiry. I think she will struggle to find a childminder that doesn't do a school run!

I was due an enquiry coming today, no show as yet, she said she would ring to confirm a time. I should really ring and check.

Here's hoping some more come along for both of us. I want to carry on too :)