PDA

View Full Version : Toddler logic

Alibali
16-08-2010, 08:08 PM
My little mindee aged 22 months has taken to calling me Mum for the last few weeks, each time I correct him and say 'no it's Auntie Alison' and he says ' no Mum'
He did this today when his Mum was in, and I corrected him as usual and he shook his head looked at me then pointed at me and said 'Mum' then pointed at his Mum and said 'Mummy'!! Bless him.

My own children have been off school and he has obviously heard them call me Mum and he must think I'm telling him fibs when I say I'm not Mum, cos he knows I am!!!:laughing: :laughing:

curlycathy
16-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Thats so sweet! I get called mummy Cathy a lot which is lovely.

My dd has also been known to announce she wants her mummy and is going home!!!!!!:laughing:

tashaleee
16-08-2010, 09:01 PM
:D

When my kids were little they all heard my DS calling my dad grandad as he visited a lot - all mindees got in the habit of calling him grandad so I kinda gave up trying to tell them differently.... One day one of the parents was in Tescos and mindee kept yelling and pointing grandad - parent wondered what was going on as her dad lived over 100 miles away - yep there was my dad in Tescos :laughing:

Helen Dempster
16-08-2010, 09:30 PM
oh bless. My ex-mindee (who left last week after 18m) :-( always called me 'mum'...or should I say 'muu-uuuum' :laughing: I corrected him on a few occasions, but it made absolutely no difference. He was Nigerian and I mentioned it to his mum, who told me that in their native country, it would be seen as a very high complement for a child to do that....so I was happy with that :D

TheBTeam
16-08-2010, 09:40 PM
:laughing: How lovely

jadylasa
16-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Awww that is realy sweet.
However I do feel for the mum having heard this, I used to have a really close friend, (we are still really good friends, but kids got older didn't see as much of each other blah d blah) we had children of similar ages and went out with them every day and my youngest, who saw more of her than his dad due to work comitments, called her mummy as weel as me (I'm sure people thought we were lesbians!) Even though I used to laugh about it with her, I'd be cut up inside. I'd get pictures of her out evey eveing, point to her and say her name!!! sad I know, but I'm the only mummy he'll ever have!

love381
17-08-2010, 03:15 AM
I think it's a bit of a strange one to "get on" with. Some parents I've met/worked with would be fine with the "second mum" type of thing and the calling my dad grandad or my brother uncle (many have done!!) and others would think I was trying to steal their child/children into my own family. It's amazing the variety of people out there!!! I find it's down to how you know the family etc. I have a lo I care for (I say little, he's nearly 7) cared for him for ALL his life, he nearly LIVES with us he's here that much. I love him to bits and he calls me auntie and his mum HATES it!!!! Trouble is, his mum IS my sister and I AM his auntie, so tough!!!! x

blue bear
17-08-2010, 12:54 PM
when my son was little (now 13) he used to call me by my name and the minded child called me mummy!

little chickee
17-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I've had mindees do this before. some parents dont mind but if they do mind i get my kids to stop calling me mum when the mindee is around and to call me by my name instead and i find this does the trick after a time

karensmart4
17-08-2010, 03:37 PM
My next door neighbours little girl used to call me mum, I was mortified that her mum wouldn't like it, I kept saying "Karen" every time she did it. Then my neighbour pointed out that her daughter thought that was my name as thats what she heard all day long from my own children....obvious really :D

I do have a parent at the moment that would hate it if her daughter called me mum, she makes a point of saying a very pronounced, "Karen" about 10 times in every conversation and each time she speaks to her lo :rolleyes:

I have never encouraged it and never would but it happens :cool:

Gizmo
17-08-2010, 07:09 PM
One of my mindees is now 18mths and has been coming to me for a year and is just starting to talk and I am getting Mum all the time keep saying no its Joy, I ask him where Mum is and he points to the window and waves, and ask him where Joy is and he points to me, so think we are getting there, but he hears my kids shouting Muuuuummmm all the time as well :clapping: