PDA

View Full Version : Help, I cant cook!

samkeddy
16-08-2010, 07:47 PM
hi,
im not a great cook, and have always hated doing complicated stuff that takes my attention away from the kids (my own).
Its never been a prob really as i only have my own kids at tea time, and dh sometimes cooks but im due to have a couple of after schoolies starting in sept so its starting to worry me:(

Has anyone got any tips :D

(p.s. i cant see the living room or garden from the kitchen and the kitchen isnt really big enough for all of the 5 kids to be under my feet!):(

estrelas
16-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm not the best cook either

Don't worry think simple

Cook at the weekend and freeze, curry, cottage pie, lasanga.

Buy a slow cooker, throw stuff in cook all day and serve.

Or just throw easy stuff in, pizza, fish fingers etc.

Or even better ask them to supply packed lunch x

blue bear
16-08-2010, 07:54 PM
How about making up meals at the weekend that can be re-heated, cottage pie, curry, carbonara...

try student recipes online, there are some fantastic but simple ideas on there.

Mine like 'helping' to cook their own tea, they are lovely carrot/potaoe peelers!!

Twinkles
16-08-2010, 07:54 PM
You can make very simple dishes nutritious. Just add fruit to the end of a meal. Add raw carrot cucumber tomatoes etc.
Do pasta bakes and I'm sure I won't be the only one to say......get a slow cooker. :thumbsup:

breezy
16-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Get a pizza base and the kids can help top it.
Get dh to cook stuff at the weekend freeze it and just reheat!
fruit and yoghurts for desert
And yes a slow cookers a godsend !!!!

miffy
16-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Make things that are a meal in one dish - lasagne, shepherd's pie, pasta bake - and freeze so you only have to reheat and add salad or veg and...............

get a slow cooker! :thumbsup: :D

Miffy xx

pinklady
16-08-2010, 08:58 PM
How about making up meals at the weekend that can be re-heated, cottage pie, curry, carbonara...

try student recipes online, there are some fantastic but simple ideas on there.

Mine like 'helping' to cook their own tea, they are lovely carrot/potaoe peelers!!

I agree with this and getting them to make their own! e.g pizza or fahitas and tacos. Children love to feel involved.

samkeddy
17-08-2010, 05:53 AM
thanks for some great ideas everyone!

beccas
17-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi i dont do tea for any of my mindees they have a snack after school as tea time is myfamily time. they have soup, spagetti and toast , fruit and youghurt, biscuit and drink etc i just told parents this and they excepted this.

samkeddy
17-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi i dont do tea for any of my mindees they have a snack after school as tea time is myfamily time. they have soup, spagetti and toast , fruit and youghurt, biscuit and drink etc i just told parents this and they excepted this.

like this idea alot, tea time is our family time at the min too and not looking forward to loosing that so may see if i can do the same:D

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I use the slow cooker - ALOT

Chuck all the ingredients into the pot in the morning and leave it for 6 hours and your meal will be ready for tea time.

I also get my veg ready when the little ones are in bed and put them in the steamer with the timer on (got this for £6 from Asda last year)

ourmadhouse
17-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Make things that are a meal in one dish - lasagne, shepherd's pie, pasta bake - and freeze so you only have to reheat and add salad or veg and...............

get a slow cooker! :thumbsup: :D

Miffy xx

what do you put your lasagn and shepherds pie in (dish wise) to freeze?

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2010, 11:00 AM
what do you put your lasagn and shepherds pie in (dish wise) to freeze?

I cut my lasagne into eatable sizes and put in foil or cling film and freeze them individually - usually there isn't any left though unless I make double

If you make double of Shepherds Pie then freeze it in its cooked dish

little chickee
17-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Packed lunches!!!