PDA

View Full Version : Going to the toilet alone

maisiemog
16-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Silly question but how old are your mindees when you let them go to the toilet alone? I have one little girl who is 3.5yrs old and she refuses to let anybody in the bathroom with her. She's the same at home as well so not just me. Mum just lets her go on her own and stands outside to remind her to wipe and flush.

Can I do this? My bathroom doesn't have a lock on it so she cant lock herself in, and no cleaning products in there either. Obviously I know I would have to RA it.

It sounds silly but cos my dd is still in nappies I never even considered when to let them go alone. My other mindees are all school aged or still in nappies!

funemnx
16-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm 50 and STILL can't go by myself!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mindees always follow me :D

Chatterbox Childcare
16-08-2010, 07:15 PM
If they want to why not? What is your RA going to say and do you really need it?

I am not one for wrapping children in cotton wool and this child should be at nursery and I know they don't go with them

TheBTeam
16-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm 50 and STILL can't go by myself!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mindees always follow me :D

:laughing: :laughing: u had me wondering for a min

seriously, if she is capable as she seems to be i would let her go on her own, but keep close by to monitor it

sarah707
16-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I know 3 year olds who are absolutely capable of going to the toilet on their own.

I know other 3 year olds who would push the loo roll down the toilet or make soap pictures on the mirror or sit for hours playing with their willies :rolleyes:

It depends on the child :D

watgem
16-08-2010, 07:24 PM
As long as you wait outside, and have risk assessed it, she should be fine, and you will be treating her as a unique child, supporting her self esteem and independence. If she was at nursery or preschool she would be expected to go independently.

francinejayne
16-08-2010, 07:32 PM
My eldest son was born at the end of august so had literally just turned 3 when he started nursery - they told me at the parents meeting in June that they expect him to go to the toilet on his own. I think 3 is fine, and definitely 3.5.

Let her go on her own!

loocyloo
16-08-2010, 07:45 PM
as soon as they are toilet trained and independantly asking to go to the toilet, then i actively encourage them to go on their own. or if just need 'reminding' to go to the toilet, then again, they go by themselves!

my last LO to toilet train NEVER told me when she needed the toilet, she just took herself :D she was 2 1/2.

breezy
16-08-2010, 08:12 PM
both 3 year olds I look after go on their own, I just get " Can you see if my bums clean"!!!!!!!!!!!!

miffy
16-08-2010, 08:50 PM
By 3.5 I would be encouraging them to go to the toilet by themselves (if they weren't already doing that).

Our school takes children at 3 now and they don't go to the toilet with them!

Miffy xx

jadylasa
16-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I know other 3 year olds who would push the loo roll down the toilet or make soap pictures on the mirror or sit for hours playing with their willies :rolleyes:

It depends on the child :D

Boys will be boys!

My own 3.5 year old (who didn't get the hang of it untill she was just 3!) now goes on her own. If a child can be trained at any time around or after there 2nd birthday, then it makes sence that a year later they would have the hang of it. but I think time potty trained is irrelevant, you need to take on the maturity of the child, and if mum doesnt have a problem with it, but I would concider making a policy on this.

Good luck. xx