PDA

View Full Version : Mindee with broken arm

claire85
16-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone, just been informed that one of my mindees has broken his wrist yesterday although wasn't taken to hospital til today as he wasn't in any pain according to the parent. I am now stuck of what activities to do with him, we spend a lot of time out in the garden playing sports but obv that is off the agenda now. Also the wrist he nroke is his writing hand so that makes it a bit akward. Any ideas what i can do with him instead??

celdemorg
16-08-2010, 06:27 PM
My little boy broke his wrist in two places just before his first birthday, we didn't know he'd done it until a day or two after, we took him a few days later to the hospital :eek: how bad did i feel!! We just though it was a bit odd him crawling like a sniper, when usually he crawled normally. All better now 18 months later. Although any little knock he has now, I'm straight to casualty!!!

Anyway, with regard to activities, gosh that's a hard one isn't it, kids are quite adaptable though so maybe just do the activities that you usually do and just keep a close eye and see how they get on, maybe just give sand a water a miss, don't think that would be good in the cast!!

Good Luck

xxx

claire85
16-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the advice !! Forgot to mention he is 8 years old lol !! x

celdemorg
16-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Haha, no sand and water then, so need to worry about sand up his cast!!!! :laughing: Mmmm that's a hard one isn't it 8 years old, gosh, I'll have to have a think, I'll get back to you!!!

xxx

claire85
16-08-2010, 06:49 PM
yeah tis a tricky one , hes mad as a Hatter on footy and loves playing tennis and cricket with me rather than arts and craft!!! lol

maisiemog
16-08-2010, 07:01 PM
There's no reason why he can't do some of the gentler sports things..just make sure your there to supervise! I broke my arm at least once a year and never let it stop me! Now that it's in a cast he'll prob not be in much pain!

Maybe pick up a cheap croqhet (sp) set from the poundshop and all play it with the wrong hand etc to see who scores best.

How about silly games like air football.... a malteaser on the table blown with straws.

I'll have a think about some other things and get back to you.

Roseolivia
16-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Rose broke her wrist a couple of months ago and we didn't take her to hospital until the next day because there was no visible signs. She fell of her horse so we just thought it was bruised. Hers was her writing hand too but after a couple of days she started to use it again. Just don't let your mindee do anything too physical with it, writing,, drawing and crafts should be fine.

charlie potato
16-08-2010, 09:00 PM
my 2 yr old nephew broke his collarbone when he fell from the top of the stairs at my sisters friends house. My sister took him to hospital and was told that he was just bruised. A week later when he went to docs with what looked like a bone sticking out he was sent back down casualty. They looked at her as though she was the overprotective mother. His collarbone turned out to be broken and was a clean break. He moaned and whinged but carried on playing as normal as nobody knew there was a break. Kids are just resiliant. He's fully recovered now. xx

jadylasa
16-08-2010, 10:37 PM
opposits day!!!
EVERYONE!! uses their unnatural hand for writing/drawing etc, makes the child feel they're not alone and could be quite fun, you could do it with otherthings too, wrong hand for knife and fork, saying thankyou for please goodbye for helllo, (depends on all the children's understanding) just an idea you could adapt, might be fun, and a learning tool for left and right cause every time they use their natural hand you could say "thats your right hand lets see what it looks like when you use your left hand), I know it wont last the intire time for the cast, but it could be a start?