PDA

View Full Version : Teaching toddlers about personal space

Zoomie
16-08-2010, 04:29 PM
specifically my DD.

she loves to welcome the children in the morning, but it is getting too much.

Been reading up a bit, and will do a bit of role play with her, but any other suggestions.

BTW, DD is 2.75 :D

sarah707
16-08-2010, 05:36 PM
You could try her with a story... written for her and starring her and talking about what to do in the morning.

In the morning xx arrives - picture of child arriving

xx says 'good morning xx' - picture of your child waving

xx says 'are you coming to play?' - picture of your child sitting with a toy

That sort of thing might help.

It's called a social story and they are used a lot in schools for all different ages, just fit the words to suit the problem :D

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
16-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I will be watching the replies to this as i have a 3 1/2 yr old mindee who is constantly in other childrens faces

jumpinjen
16-08-2010, 07:12 PM
My children are always excited at the door in the morning when the others arrive.... i suggest that they go off into the lounge to play and there is more space there and as soon as a game begins (usually instantly) then space is no longer an issue. perhaps you could set something up ready as your daughter is younger. I think it's quite sweet that she is so excited to see the others. You could choose a phrase and always use the same one to remind her to give the other children some space?

jenni x

watgem
16-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I love this idea Sarah! could you give us some more info:) rmation on social stories please? or signpst us to some information? thanks

clio0602
16-08-2010, 07:45 PM
My DD 2.5 is the same mindees can't even get through the door as she's jumping up and down and talking to them lol

Social story idea sounds a great!!! :thumbsup:

Zoomie
16-08-2010, 08:29 PM
You could try her with a story... written for her and starring her and talking about what to do in the morning.

In the morning xx arrives - picture of child arriving

xx says 'good morning xx' - picture of your child waving

xx says 'are you coming to play?' - picture of your child sitting with a toy

That sort of thing might help.

It's called a social story and they are used a lot in schools for all different ages, just fit the words to suit the problem :D

Excellent idea.

Where would the world of childminders be without Sarah ?

Thank you :D

little miss chatterbox
16-08-2010, 09:25 PM
my children are just the same but they are much older!!! always wanting to carry the children (which i don't allow!) and always wanting to be the ones to play with them!!!

wonder if social stories will help them too!!!