PDA

View Full Version : r.a's confused.com

coffee-time
14-08-2010, 06:33 PM
im trying to sort out my risk assessments and im getting a headache now just thinking about it!!! can someone tell me in very simple terms exactly what i should have in place please. ive seen a few different ones online, read on here about people just having checklists that they just tick each day/week, i even bought a disk that has r.a's on that i can edit and print off but i have to write in there actions risks ect and just dont know how to word everything!! i sound like a complete idiot:blush: but i just dont get it! also do we have to do r.a's for each outing eg to the park or have one that can be used every time and just add the date of the outing?
why cant i just use my common sense like i have the last 10 years with my own 3 children!!!;)

beccas
14-08-2010, 08:36 PM
i have a daily risk assesment which i tick every morning after i check my house over and garden.

i also have a risk ass for every area of my house mindees use, all outings i go on and my garden.

miffy
14-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Try this link and see if it helps you with writing your risk assessments

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/012C965D-047A-4E79-90A9-9883D3DAF0CC/0/CYP090022.pdf

The EYFS says we must risk assess each type of outing so you need to think about where you take the children and then do risk assessments.

There's some more information here

http://eyfsforchildminders.webnode.com/writing-a-risk-assessment/

Miffy xx

moljak
14-08-2010, 10:18 PM
I used our good friend Sarah's ebook.Couldn't have done it without her help :)
http://knutsfordchildminding.web.officelive.com/Someorganisationebooks.aspx

coffee-time
15-08-2010, 08:27 AM
right so i should have one main one for the whole house/garden that i would review when needed and another that i can tick off each morning to show ive checked the house over before the children come to me, the bit im still having trouble with is the outings one do you write up a new one each time or just have one for each outing filed away that you can check before you leave. also if i plan for the children to play with playdough i have to r.a. that aswell, and if i decide to do some baking with them that has to be r.a's ect ect, would you do this the night before or have them in place anyway? i still sound confused dont i!!!

naomiesian
15-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I struggles with ra`s, it is never ending...
I started off with a daily tick list for every area in my home used for CM, it took me about half hour to do every morning!! Just before I had my Ofsted inspection in July my development worker came to see me and had a look, she advised that I was making far to much work for myself and suggested another way, It took me 9 hours to re-do all my ra`s but the idea is now its in place I should just review them each month and add any changes, when Mrs O came to see me she was very happy with this set up. phew it means that I actually have time to sit down and have a coffee in the morning before the mindees arrive :clapping: (although all Ofsted inspectors are different)
For outings as above, I have a general ra in place but if we are going somewhere new I always do another one and find it handy to take a pen and paper with me just in case I need to add something else.
With play-dough, baking and water play I have a general ra in place but I always sit with the children and explain to them `right today we are going to do ` and ask them if they can think of any thing that could hurt them, I note this down as a child led risk assessment...
You just have to find the best way to suit you hun. :thumbsup:

coffee-time
15-08-2010, 04:22 PM
ive got to be honest i find it all a bit over the top! i know it has to be done to cover ourselves i understand that but i just think i didnt do all this when looking after my own children and have never ever had any accidents ect
when do i get the time to actually play and look after the children feels like ill be doing paperwork most of the time grrr!!
sorry having a rant now think its getting to me!!

coffee-time
15-08-2010, 04:23 PM
oh yeah and thanks for all the replies they have all been really helpful!!

arly
19-08-2010, 03:31 PM
it is so much work but at the end of the day its to cover ourselves. I was thinking the same last night when I had my children we never done anything like this but really we did...not to the extent we wrote it all down and what action we took but in our heads we did. I had stairs, i put a stair gate up I did this because i didnt want my son falling down stair, this to me was a risk assessment done in my head so really we do it every day......but it makes alot of paperwork.x:)