PDA

View Full Version : did I do the right thing?

Mags
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Hello everyone,
Havn't been on here for a while...it's been very quite during the hols (two of my mindees parents are teachers, so have kept the little ones at home with them) so i grabbed my freedom with both hands and got out and about a lot more...caught up with friends etc.

Yesterday "m's" mum phoned to say she wasn't coming due to being sick all night and having a high temp. She rang again at 8 this morning to say "m" had been up all night coughing, still had temp and still hadn't eaten anything and was generally not herself.

Then at 9 oclock she phoned again to say she had changed her mind and would be bringing "m" round shortly as she had given her calpol and her temp was dropping. Well, I stoped her there telling her that I couldn't have "m" if she was unwell as it wouldn't be fair to myself or the other children in my care.

I have since spent the day wondering if I did the right thing. I feel a bit mean.

Sorry it's a long one.x

anneriddington
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I would have done the same as you. I know children are up and down quickly but better to have a day with mum feeling OK than spread the germs.

Dont beat yourself up you were only thinking about the others in you care and thats what we're all about iasnt it:)

Twinkles
03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
You did the right thing. Parents think the children are better when it's just the calpol working ! It wears off !!

I wouldn't have had lo either.

angeldelight
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
You were 100% right

Well done

Enjoy the rest of the day and do not worry about it now

Angel xx

fionamal
03-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Thats exaclty what I would have done as well. You dont want it spreading around yourself and the other mindees.

Dont beat yourself up about it

Mollymop
03-04-2008, 11:48 AM
You did the right thing for definate! Just cos the temp has dropped, she is still unwell and can spread the virus.
Why do someparents think that just cos the child looks ok , it is ok?

crazybones
03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Yes you have done the right thing. My os has a stinking cold this morning due to being snotted and coughed on by a mindee all week. She slipped up this morning and said she had been dosing him with Calpol every morning before he arrived with me and had run out. :mad: I said he should be at home and she said oh well William already has it now so it doesnt matter! I am too soft.

Noodles
03-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes i agree you done exactly the right thing.
As you said you have to consider yourself and other children.
Children can feel better after calpol but they quickly go back down hill again

katickles
03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Yep - as the others have said & i agree, you did the right thing.

I don't understand the amount of parents who are happy to send there child to the childminders when they are not well. I'd want my little one with me so i could look after her & make sure she was ok. When littlies don't feel well, they just want mummy or daddy. Why don't these parents realise this? :mad:

Mags
03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone...I kept on telling myself I was right but mum made it clear she wasn't too happy...some parents make you feel so guilty don't they?

Heaven Scent
03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
YES you did exactly the right thing - its up to you to protect everyone -parents would soon moan if their child caught something from you or another child.

emler
03-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Well done for saying no to the parents :clapping: You definately did the right thing

Emler x

Minnie Minx
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
You were 100% right

Well done

Enjoy the rest of the day and do not worry about it now

Angel xx

agree entirely

xxx

sarah707
03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Have faith in yourself! You were absolutely right!

Exclusion for 48 hours from last sickness :D

Pudding Girl
03-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Have faith in yourself! You were absolutely right!

Exclusion for 48 hours from last sickness :D

Exactly!

I'd print off another copy of your sickness policy to show her that you were acting within your guidelines ;)

donnagwynne
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Absolutely right!!!!!!!!

Every Child Matters don't forget, keeping children healthy and safe. You have a responsibility to the other children in your care to protect them as far as you can.

Well done you, it is much easier to say this than to put it into practice!!!

Donna

Blaze
03-04-2008, 03:38 PM
As above...well done you!:clapping:
Tasha:)

Pipsqueak
03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Just wanted to say that I am in agreement with what has been said!

tulip0803
03-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I would have done the same thing. The only reason M's temperature is dropping and she is feeling a bit better is the Calpol is working. The child is still ill and hif she has a temperature she has an underlying infection somewhere. You were right to say no as you have to protect yourself and the other children in your care.

miffy
04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Just catching up but agree with everyone else you did the right thing and I wouldn't give it another thought

miffy xx

LittleMissSparkles
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
yes you did do the right thing babe dont doubt yourself, the calpol was just masking her symptoms of been unwell xxx

Banana
04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
she should be excluded for 48 hours after being sick anyway - of course you did the right thing!

Well done for saying so too

xx

Michelle M
04-04-2008, 06:02 PM
:) You were right to say you wouldnt have the child until better