PDA

View Full Version : at what age can children eat chocolate?

Donkey
13-08-2010, 09:22 PM
my dd has some as a treat and today I had mindee with me. I let mindee have a quarter of a button as a treat and my dd sneakily gave mindee another couple

just read something on another post on another site that children should only have chocolate when they are 1.
whats the proper age?
(mindee is on a high fat/calorie diet as she needs to gain weight)

thanks!!

love381
13-08-2010, 09:40 PM
My HV told me that my first could have his first chocolate at Easter time and was I excited. That was about 8 and a half years ago and he would've been 8 months old. I've never seen anything about it being 1 year. x

Donkey
13-08-2010, 09:44 PM
well mindee is 10 months and it was just a little bit and she has been through sooo much so thought a little treat wouldn't hurt

clio0602
13-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Just read the same thread and I,ve never heard there was an min age on chocolate!!!! We used to give choc ices at nursery from 6mths and my kids had both had choc well before their 1st birthday :blush:

Kimmy050983
14-08-2010, 07:24 AM
another question though WHY? they cant possibly know what chocolate is and why start them so early on sugary treats? my son sees raisins, fruitpots etc as big treats (they are sweet too...).. just a thought. i wouldnt really give any before about 18 months as that´s when they start to notice what other people eat and wantint exactly that..

just my opinion. wouldnt really give it to mindees before a year old though and only after asking the parents:)

AliceK
14-08-2010, 07:27 AM
I read the post you are referring to and I agree about not giving them any chocolate unless you know that parents have done so but I'm pretty sure there's no age limit on it it's just parents personal choice.

xxxx

SammyM
14-08-2010, 02:31 PM
One of my moms won't even let me but jam on her little boys toast (he's 16 months) No sugary treats for him, and plain water to drink.

Sorry, but I think thats just mean :(

Alibali
14-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't give any of my mindees chocolate or sweets, If their parents want them to have some they can at home. I have had a set of parents send chocolate with their children as I don't give it, but unless there were no other children about I wouldn't give them it.

I am happy to give my own chocolate as a treat though, and I don't think any of them reached a year before they had it!

Kimmy050983
14-08-2010, 04:27 PM
One of my moms won't even let me but jam on her little boys toast (he's 16 months) No sugary treats for him, and plain water to drink.

Sorry, but I think thats just mean :(

WHY?? it´s not mean at all, he´ll have lots of other nice foods, won´t he? my son is mainly drinking water - he has some juice with his lunch..
he doesnt know what jam is so unlikely to miss it!
Why is it mean to have a good healthy diet. at least that child won´t have trouble with his weight in later life. ;)
everyone should make their own choices!!

Chatterbox Childcare
14-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I am sure my son had a choc button or 2 when he was 6 months old, remember he was on solids at 3 months back then. They dissolve int he mouth

Everyone to their own on what they want to give their children but I know of children who were never allowed sweet foods as youngsters and now crave it at 10.

Mine have water 100% of the time. No rotting teeth due to juice here as I don't have toothbrushes or time to clean their teeth after every drink of juice.

snufflepuff
14-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Theres is no guideline age, its all about preference. I'm happy for my 18 month old to have the occassional bit of chocolate and he has done for a while now- but i wouldn't let him have it too often and no more than a tiny bit at a time. He still has easter eggs in the cupboard!
Everything in moderation IMO!

Heaven Scent
14-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Look nothing wrong with it in moderation - you know - but I wouldn't see there being a point in ensuring that they have it - I also think that if you give it as a desert after a meal then it won't do the slightest bit of harm - children are allowed 3 acid attacks per day when it comes to tooth care and they should all be at meal times its the same for diabetes prevention 3 lots of sugar (any form) at meal times - even apples have sugar that attack the teeth so basically snacks should consist of milk & water plus pain bread products such as toast or bread sticks with hummus most other dips have sugar added unless you make them yourself - yoghurt & fromage frais are really high in sugar. I wouldn't give a child a low fat or low sugar drink or food if it was up to me - artificial sugars etc are so full of toxins its unbelieveable - I'd much rather give them a full sugar item at meal times. - I really do feel the governments of the world need to take the food industry to task and get them to remove all the dangerous additives from our food such as monosodium glutimate (E621) all it is is a flavour enhancer so food manufacturers can use inferior quality produce and then add the enhancer to make us believe we are enjoying it. These things just should not be allowed even in products at the cheaper end of the market.

So if I were you I'd go ahead and give the little one a little bit of good quality chocolate at meal times. Its all these horrible cheap sweets and highly flavoured chrisps that are doing the most damage. Just read your labels and look up the ingredients on the internet then you know whats doing the harm.

I get really annoyed when all these TV chefs put their names to jars of prepared sauces especially Healthy Eating Promotor Jamie Oliver when these sauces are packed with all sorts of additives to give them a longer shelf life and make them cheaper so the consumer can afford them!!!

Ok I'm off the soap box again now!!!

Kimmy050983
14-08-2010, 06:24 PM
I totally agree with everything in moderation! My son has had the odd haribo (at least no colourings etc) , he cannot have chocolate anyway as dairy intolerant.

Heaven Scent, you speak out of my heart. lots of people do not REALISE what they give their children as government does nothing to educate!!!

I am totally for a homecooked balanced diet with the odd (homemade) treat like homemade biscuits/cakes, high quality chocolate etc.
Ban the cr*p!!!LOL