PDA

View Full Version : replies needed

Hebs
13-08-2010, 07:39 PM
on a netmums post :D
after what i have heard recently i have to say i do agree

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/children-parenting-190/general-parenting-192/457931-should-there-more-spot-visits-childcare-providers-unannounced.html#post4839822

Mollymop
13-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I agree too but I would really like to add..
- An unannounced visit is fine but just because Ofsted love to read all our paperwork and charts, maybe we should have some unannounced visits from people/bodies that actually care about the kids and not how well our veggie patch is growing, our observations are written and if we have a digital fridge thermometre or not!

funemnx
13-08-2010, 07:51 PM
A good point, I have had an unannouced visit from Ofsted and was more than happy to show the inspector everything I had in place

Hebs
13-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I agree too but I would really like to add..
- An unannounced visit is fine but just because Ofsted love to read all our paperwork and charts, maybe we should have some unannounced visits from people/bodies that actually care about the kids and not how well our veggie patch is growing, our observations are written and if we have a digital fridge thermometre or not!

yeah more focus on the quality of care given to the children and not the quality of paperwork

auntym
13-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I dont mind unannounced visits atall..........preferably not in school hols when we are more out and about than usual.
But it wouldnt bother me, as long as it was to see how we were doing and not the structured 4 hours visit on a proper inspection........but not a problem here either :)

Mookins
13-08-2010, 08:01 PM
ive put a reply....will probably make no sense but hey i mean well

:laughing:

funemnx
13-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Do you think (those of you who remember) the SS visits were better in that they focused on the children and not the paperwork?

Mollymop
13-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Do you think (those of you who remember) the SS visits were better in that they focused on the children and not the paperwork?

No! I am not that old! lol...SueM tells me about them "old":D days all the time and next time you pop down to see her, i will pop up to see u too!:laughing:

Winnie
13-08-2010, 08:14 PM

SS visits were like greeting an old friend, and tbh there was no paperwork to focus on :laughing:

keeks
13-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Too many schools and nurseries put on a show for Ofsted. It is understandable to want to show them your very best practice but it would be a lot more beneficial to plan for constant good than occasional best if you see what I mean. I agree, bring it on!!! :clapping:

RachelE
13-08-2010, 09:01 PM
I worked in a Private day nursery and we had 2 registers! - one that was the actual one - way over numbers - and another one for OFSTED!
On the date that was arranged for our inspection, our proprietor called and said she was away and could she rearrange!? - she arranged it for a day that was less busy and some children 'disappeared'! - we were also told we had had a fire drill, training etc - and we got and outstanding! - call on anyone unannounced!

If the parents had known what went on - they would have been horrified!

- I only have my dirt to hide - and it doesnt harm the children! :blush:

Rachel x

moljak
13-08-2010, 09:15 PM
I'd much prefer an unannounced visit.Would stop the sleepless nights before.i try to work with the view that they could knock anyday so loosing the worry of when would be fab :)

Mollymop
13-08-2010, 09:15 PM
I worked in a Private day nursery and we had 2 registers! - one that was the actual one - way over numbers - and another one for OFSTED!
On the date that was arranged for our inspection, our proprietor called and said she was away and could she rearrange!? - she arranged it for a day that was less busy and some children 'disappeared'! - we were also told we had had a fire drill, training etc - and we got and outstanding! - call on anyone unannounced!

If the parents had known what went on - they would have been horrified!

- I only have my dirt to hide - and it doesnt harm the children! :blush:

Rachel x

:eek: :eek: Shocking!!! But i guess it goes on in lots of places

ORKSIE
13-08-2010, 09:24 PM
No! I am not that old! lol...SueM tells me about them "old":D days all the time and next time you pop down to see her, i will pop up to see u too!:laughing:

I know the "Old days" they were good. SS were there more for the kiddies, and then the paper work

Chimps Childminding
13-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree Ofsted are too wrapped up in paperwork etc. not really interested in the children and how they seem to enjoy being at the setting. I for one am not great at paperwork (planning/obs) and I know it lets me down when I have an inspection. If I were to have an unanounced visit it would be that which would let me down :blush: as I am really struggling to keep on top of it at mo (mum has been in hospital for 10 weeks and I visit every evening, so struggling with everything else :( )

BUT I know my parents are more than happy with the care I give their children, all bar one came via recommendation and really that is what counts :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
13-08-2010, 10:49 PM

I remember those good old days :thumbsup:

Although my Ofsted inspector was definately for the care of the children and not the paperwork just hope I get her next time :D

Carol xx

singlewiththree
14-08-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm on an NCMA network and my co-ordinator comes round every 8 weeks, yes she does make an appointment but she chats about the job and offered a shoulder to moan on and offers support/training. I value her visits more than ofsted. She is the person I have been in contact with throughout my problems with slander.

lou lou
14-08-2010, 06:58 AM
It is ok having uannounced visits for childminders but how is that going to work when quite often we can be out or doing playgroup runs or groups that you go to so probably half the time they would come round you would be out so dont really know how it would work, It is different for playgroups and nuseries as they are allways there.

ruby
14-08-2010, 08:36 AM
with the CSSiW the inspection are unannounced (sort of ) they can come anytime within 3 months after you have sent your forms etc back

must admit i prefered the ones from SS as they concentrated on the children not like now which is all paper work

Lol
14-08-2010, 05:33 PM

I remember the SS visits:) Definitely more focussed on what/how the children were doing - which should be the priority anyway

cherry
14-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Our SS visits were once a year and usually by the same person so you got to know them and them you. It was very informal and they did focus on the care of the children.

Heaven Scent
14-08-2010, 06:17 PM
As I said many many times before the Clue to the paperwork being a priority is the fact that the word OFFICE is the first work in the title of the inspecting body. They feel we all have to run our businesses like efficient offices whos job it is to generate more and more an more and more ....... paperwork - its how they are conditioned - its not a failing its just a case of different strokes for different folks and they haven't grasped the fact that we are different folks so different strokes need to apply!!!!

I agree it would ne neigh impossible to do unannounced inspections on childminders as I go out every morning from before 9 and some days I don't come back till almost 4.00 I go to all sorts of activities with the children and take them out to other minders houses for lunch or have lunch out in little cafes etc then go straight to collect shoolies. It all depends on what children I have and what times they are here and the weather whether they like it or not does come into play I will not stand around on a childrens playground in the pouring rain while they slip all over dangerously wet equipment - there is such thing as wrong weather so there!!!!! - Its not just all about wrong clothing Bah Humbug to that idea. I don't let the cold keep me in though - just horrible soaking wet weather and electric storms. I won't drive in very high winds or in icy and snowy conditions but other than driving we do go out in these conditions.

If you have children who suffer from lung conditions such as athsma then it would be totally irresponsible to take them out in very cold and damp conditions for long periods of time so I say again there is such a thing as wrong weather!!!! So if inspectors are willing to take a chance and sit outside my house on a main road for hours on end waiting for me to come home for a short window of time then bring on on the spot inspections. Eh perhaps they better come on a day where torrential rain is forecast and I may just be out for half of the day. Also it would be a very very rare day that they would find me in a shop with mindees in tow - I can't think of anything worse although I do say I have to do it now and again due to the long hours I work but only to get the odd pint of milk or something for lunch if plans to eat out have been unexpecedly been changed. The children do get a home cooked/prepared meal most days and if we eat out ist something like a sandwich or Jacket potato something I know couldn't be laced with lots of additives - it would very very rarely be junk food and even then it would only be with parents prior permission. So if Mrs Offey wants to come along with me when I go out she is more than welcome to do that too not sure my fellow childminding friends would appreciate it though - I think it may put them on edge a bit!!!