PDA

View Full Version : concerned???

zald
13-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone ! im new to this forum but it looks fab , so much support ! at the moment im doing my training to become a childminder , im really passionate about becoming one and working with children :) i love spending time with my friends and their children but as of yet i have no experience actually working with children , i currently work as a carer for the elderley, so i wondered if my lack of experience could go against me ? :(

funemnx
13-08-2010, 07:16 PM
The fact that you care will go a long way, enjoy the journey, it's a fab job :thumbsup:

claire'scherubs
13-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Hi

Don't be worrying, I had 15 years in retail management before I decided to do this. Nobody questioned it, I have mindees and my first inspection I got a good, and to top it off, I love my job!!!

celdemorg
13-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I worked in an office for 20 years before i started minding, god 20 yrs that makes me feel old.:eek: :eek:

I was like you just loved being with children, other peoples and my own, you'll be fine xxx:)

zald
13-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks so much for the replys i feel better now ! :) i just want to make sure i have all the correct policys and procedures in place for my first visit :panic: any tips ???

maisiemog
14-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Ditto that. I had no childcare experience. I worked in care as well, but with learning disabilities. Ofsted actually said it wasn't really an issue. And the fact I had worked in care went in my favour, proved I was good at looking after people!

gigglinggoblin
14-08-2010, 09:09 AM
If you are worried you could always ask a local nursery if you could help out for a couple of hours a week. As we are all working under EYFS it might give you some good tips aswell as giving you experience working in a childcare setting.

zald
14-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes thats a good idea , i will give it a go . I have also just completed a child day care course level 3 (home learning) which i did with stonebridge college . Im very excited about eventually setting up my buisness , does any one know how soon i can advertise ? xx

angiemog
14-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I've been minding for over a year now....... I never had any 'official' experience and I don't have any children of my own. I've had loads of experience with my nephews and friends children. It hasn't concerned any of my parents and two sets have been so impressed their comments have made me cry! Good Luck x