PDA

View Full Version : Parents never fail to amaze .....

Lol
13-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi there!
After over 14 years of being a childminder, you would have thought I'd seen it all/got the t-shirt etc etc
One of my mindees had the chicken pox and about 11 days later received a text early in the morning to say that younger sibling had "a bit of a rash" and parent was "not sure if it's chicken pox or not". I texted back and said that if she thought it was the pox, then she should keep the child off. No reply and then duly arrived with the child:(
Parent I think got the shock of their life when I asked if I could have a look at "the rash" as soon as they got over my threshold. Surprise, surprise it was definitely chicken pox and I handed the child over and said I would see them both again when child had completely recovered:D Parent then said "so you can't have child then?" and (after mentally counting to ten) I reminded her of my policy. Parent is a school teacher:eek:

I'd love to hear any of your "parents never fail to amaze" stories :)
Lol x

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2010, 01:33 PM
This is so typical. Well done for standing your ground

Anyone would think we make the rules!

Heaven Scent
13-08-2010, 01:41 PM
How recently did this happen? Was it since the hols started?

I had one dad bring a child with an obvious case of impetigo & Told me that the doctor said it wasn't impetigo but he left me a tube of the antifungal that they treat it with (cant think of the nameat the moment).I wiouldn't mind but dad worked for a large pharmacutical company and had a degree in genetics & mum had a degree in another schientific aspect of medicine - cant remember what now - she worked screening blood at a major cancer hospital so they knew well it was impetigo but thought as a mere childminder I would be too stupid to realise. The poor little lamb was only 1.5 when he had it and it was really really nasty!!!!!

haribo
13-08-2010, 01:48 PM
a few weeks ago i got a text early one morning to say a mindee was being sick all night and wouldnt be coming but her sister would :panic: had only just closed the door on mum when the baby projectile vomited all over me . i phoned mum and said the baby was ill could she come and collect it took her 2 hours to come back ...

Mouse
13-08-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't automatically exclude for chicken pox, so that one probably wouldn't really have bothered me.

What did get me was the time a dad turned up on my doorstep, just after lunchtime, with his reception aged daughter. He said "she's been sick. School have phoned to send her home, so I've had to go & collect her". I had the younger brother here, so called him to the door & said "come on E, S isn't well, so daddy's come to pick you up early & take you both home"...as I assumed that was what he was there for.

He said "oh, I've got to get back to work. I've only nipped out to pick her up from school & drop her round to you. I knew I couldn't expect you to go & get her!"

You could see the penny drop as I explained that if she'd been sick & sent home from school, then I couldn't have her either!

celdemorg
13-08-2010, 02:20 PM
My parent's are teacher's and nurses too and I can imagine them doing that too. I haven't come across this yet, but I'm sure I will!! I just get 'ooh she's in a funnyor odd mood today'!! Then I have snot, coughing and whinging all day, obviously full of cold. It's just so amazing how other people are with their children, I'm not a perfect mother by all means, but when my kids have been ill or are ill, they are my main priority and I stay with them, work or not.

On the other side though, I wouldn't dream of leaving my ill child with someone else to look after, especially if they were at a childminder's or nursery.

Unbelievable but it happens!!!

xxx

miffy
13-08-2010, 02:22 PM
What did get me was the time a dad turned up on my doorstep, just after lunchtime, with his reception aged daughter. He said "she's been sick. School have phoned to send her home, so I've had to go & collect her". I had the younger brother here, so called him to the door & said "come on E, S isn't well, so daddy's come to pick you up early & take you both home"...as I assumed that was what he was there for.

He said "oh, I've got to get back to work. I've only nipped out to pick her up from school & drop her round to you. I knew I couldn't expect you to go & get her!"

You could see the penny drop as I explained that if she'd been sick & sent home from school, then I couldn't have her either!

I had something similar except parent had told the school they were too busy to come and collect the child and to ring me! :eek:

My other favourite is the parent who paid me by cheque with the words "This might bounce" The look on her face was priceless when I gave it her back and said "In that case I don't want it, I'll have cash instead" but she brought me the cash next day.

Miffy xx

watgem
13-08-2010, 03:34 PM
i had the same with a teacher parent who dropped her child off saying she'd had a temperature but was dosed up with calpol so would be ok, she wasn't pleased when i ranfg her to collect her very unwell child later, on the other hand I've had amazing parents who have even offered to collect my sick children from school when I've rung to explain, so I guess it takes all kinds.

Lol
13-08-2010, 03:46 PM
How recently did this happen? Was it since the hols started?

I had one dad bring a child with an obvious case of impetigo & Told me that the doctor said it wasn't impetigo but he left me a tube of the antifungal that they treat it with (cant think of the nameat the moment).I wiouldn't mind but dad worked for a large pharmacutical company and had a degree in genetics & mum had a degree in another schientific aspect of medicine - cant remember what now - she worked screening blood at a major cancer hospital so they knew well it was impetigo but thought as a mere childminder I would be too stupid to realise. The poor little lamb was only 1.5 when he had it and it was really really nasty!!!!!

Happened a little while ago Heaven (but still very fresh in the memory!!!). Parent knew that I had mindees who hadn't had chicken pox either - with their other child having had it recently too!!
Not minding in the hols

sarah holmes
13-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Well done you for standing your ground , parents are the bain of my life though i look after 5 at thr mo it only 1 that really gets too me . well done you :clapping:

caresite
24-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm starting as a childminder so don't have any amazing case to share, yet.
I just want to say it's inspirational to read your comments and I feel much strong to know how well you deal with this things. :clapping:

suzyblue
24-08-2010, 12:12 PM
I had a child (aged 3) that hardly ever got ill but when he did he would be really poorly.
Anyway his mum was off work all week but he was still coming to me 7.50-6.15
(contracted 8-6 but always early drops and late collections! Still bitter about that!!) He was obviously ill with a temp and just laying down on the sofa and wouldnt move (not him at all!)

So I called his mum...she arrived a few hours later and plonked herself down on a chair and started crying. I went to comfort her saying its OK he will be alright...and she said 'no its not that, ive got a hair appointment this afternoon and wont be able to go' She then (having ignored the child all this time) phoned her husband at work and told him to come and get their child expecting to leave the lad with me till his dad got here!!

Some parents!!!:eek:

charleyfarley
24-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Nor me!!!!

A parent told me a couple of weeks ago that mindee isn't with me next week after I'd got tickets for days out. When I said what we had planned for that week, she told me they were only away till Tuesday so I could still take him on the planned days out :panic: :eek: even though parents would be at home :rolleyes:

I promptly told her I'd rearrange them for when he was here :thumbsup:

Carol xx

charlie potato
24-08-2010, 12:28 PM
ppl just don't realise how dangerous chicken pox can be. Other mindees family members lives could be put at risk if they are immune suppressed. xx:mad: