PDA

View Full Version : Should I be feeling guilty?

claire'scherubs
13-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Perhaps not but I do. Its raining and the kids are happily play together without any intervention from me, and I am feeling guilty that we are not doing anything constructive.

I am, managed to do a bit of tidying up, which I never do when I have mindees, but they are so chilled and happy, why not??

Waveawand
13-08-2010, 12:10 PM
definitely not - child led free play and they are content what more do you want !!!:)

cs01
13-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Funny how we always feel guilty when the kids are playing without us but they are happy so leave them be and enjoy a few mins peace!:)

flowerpots
13-08-2010, 12:11 PM
dont feel guilty, mine all play happily together without any intervention from me on a daily basis, i sometimes use this time to do 'timed' obs on a lo or an 'area' ob. have a cup of tea and watch them play. :-)

samkeddy
13-08-2010, 12:18 PM
i posted something similar to this a while back!

but i still feel guilty when i leave them to it (like now) but im getting used to it and begining to enjoy it:D
i normaly get some great obs out of it too

Playmate
13-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Enjoy :D At the moment I have 2 toddlers exploring the playroom and 1 big one watching a film and I'm on here I refuse to feel guilty :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2010, 12:50 PM
You cannot be actively involved all the time. They are learning as they play

MAWI
13-08-2010, 12:53 PM
NO, no way.
I know what you mean though, I used to panic and think I should structure their whole day.
Not now, after lots of courses and reserach into Childrens development, I realised that I do need to take a step back.
Its good for them to free play, they are still learning and developing all the time , they dont need to constantly have an adult leading. Child led is definately they way ahead. They are interacting with each other, learning negotiate skills, thinking for themselves, PLAYING uninteruppted which is really important to allow them to think critically.
Mine quite often return to free play mid flow an activity if they prefer to play with their favoured thing and I always allow this, I dont bother even finishing it if they dont want to.
Dont beat your self up, as long as they are doing things they are enjoying why spoli it.
Your supervising them and this is actually the best time to get your OBS.

:)

claire'scherubs
13-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Cheers everyone, I knew I shouldn't and I do often let me free play, but often have some activivity set up around them, however, today I haven't and they are loving it. One is on the Xbox now, one is trying to play on the Xbox (he's 2) and the 2 girls are grinding corn into flour outside in the rain now (don't worry they are undercover) and we are still quite happy :laughing: :laughing:

lou lou
13-08-2010, 01:05 PM
i have two children today one is my daughter and the other a mindee and they play so well on their own and they really do not want me involved when they play and they have such an lovely imagination and it is lovely just to watch them and they are allways so happy when they play together and hardly ever argue i often say to mum feel like i have done no work today as they are happy just doing their own thing. So i think it is a good thing that they have their own play and that way they develope imagination.

breezy
13-08-2010, 03:41 PM
two of my mindees quite often tell me it's not my turn to play with them :laughing:

Cammie Doodle
13-08-2010, 04:39 PM
I know what you mean , we have lots planned that still has not been done yet !!! As the kids old and new are making their own fun. ( in the past I have forced (well not really forced more enticed lol) my plans on them thinking it makes me a better childminder:rolleyes: and by them taking crafts home the Parents will "see" what we have done , but I have learnt that a happy chatty kid tells it's parents more that any art/ craft work I send them home with could ever do . Chill and enjoy watching them teach each other social skills etc etc :thumbsup:

SYLVIA
13-08-2010, 07:01 PM
ive learnt to let the children free play more now. By now I've usually got a folder full of work based around themes and topics, ready to go home at xmas. this year ive hardly any but i have learnt much more about the 2 3and4 yr olds i have than ever before. And Ive enjoyed just watching them be themselves

Hebs
13-08-2010, 07:22 PM
we have had a full day of free play,

we have had a pretty extensive list of activities and days out but the weather being awful today we stayed in, they had a blast and we got them singing and dancing..... the kids even planned a talent show this morning which was great fun :D

let their imagination flow :D

celdemorg
13-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one, when I pop to the loo, I feel guilty:panic:

funfunfun
13-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I quite often feel guilty whilst the children are playing without any imput from myself. !!!

Your not alone :)

fluffysocks
13-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I have spent the whold week feeling like this! i have my twi and one mindee and the minute mindee walks in they all dissappear off to do whatever and i could forget they are here! i felt awful as all i've done with mindee this week is bake fairy cakes and teach him the first 8 letter in the alphabet in phonics!! its rained all week so we havent even been outside, ended up going to the local pet shop (that does creepy crawlys, fish, fluffy animals, birds and random exotic pets!) just for some fresh air and something productive but the kids have spent the week laughing and giggling with very few disagreements, seems a shame to intervene when they are quite obviously happy!!

beside we deserve a break, i bet there are some days you dont stop for 8-9 hours! I know I dont, if hubby wasnt shoving lunch down my throat when he is home for lunch I probably wouldnt eat, rarely get time for a glass of water some days!

KarenM
14-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm learning with this whole small group thing. I'm used to being in an nursery with 16 children and one other adult, so yesterday just having one LO I found quite hard. I felt I had to play the whole time, whilst before I would be getting an activity ready while they were playing. I hope it will change when I have more than one as yesterday was more tiring. I'm just trying to change my mindset to say it's fine to leave him doing puzzles while I prepare snacks.