PDA

View Full Version : getting your own children up?

samkeddy
13-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Hi,
Just wondered wha everyone else does, my children are young, 1&2 and at first i always made sure they were up, dressed and fed before mindee coming at 8, but my youngest likes a lie in, so ive started leaving her,

i dont do a school run so think she may aswell sleep if she wants but does this look unproffesional?

Thanks
Sam

singlewiththree
13-08-2010, 07:22 AM
I leave mine in bed in the holidays but as I have a school run to do I get them up in term time. I had a few comments last holiday and also that particular parent raised her voice deliberately :mad: I usually get all the clothes ready but as my youngest is 3 she usually dressed herself unless she is having a "baby" day. At the end of the day my children come first and why should I wake them for my job.

RachelE
13-08-2010, 07:23 AM
I would never wake my children up, unless we were going out somewhere.

Its not fair on your children.

I think it would look worse if they were half asleep because you'd dragged them out of bed!

I make sure that their clothes are ready so I dont have to take time away from mindees whilst I sort my children out.

OFSTED have told a nursery to let children nap, so I'm assuming that they would also prefer them to sleep in their own bed in the morning! :rolleyes:

Rachel x

tracey36
13-08-2010, 07:23 AM
i leave mine in bed its me that has to get up for work not them let them have a lie in you will only end up with grumpy children if you wake them up lol

FussyElmo
13-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Wish mine would stay in bed :rolleyes: but no I wouldnt get them up and ready for the mindees its their home and holidays too :thumbsup:

samkeddy
13-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Glad everyone things the same, i always feel better leaving her to sleep but just wasnt sure it was the right thing to do job wise!

i feel much better now:D :D
Thanks (she's still asleep now! lazy bum!)

flowerpots
13-08-2010, 07:41 AM
i wouldnt dream of getting my children up early just because i have got work, to me its one of the plus points of me being a cm. i just drop it into conversation with potential parents that my 2 are sleepy heads, none of my parents mind. :)

clio0602
13-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Wish my 2 would stay in bed but by 5.30 we're always awake. Even most weekends too :( I wouldn't purposely wake them unless we were rushing out somewhere x

Lol
13-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi there!
I've got 2 teenagers - so they're ALWAYS in bed late!!!:rolleyes:
I remember when they were little though and I was minding in the holidays. I actually had a parent comment about the fact that my 2 weren't up ready to play with her children!!! The cheek !!!:angry:
Laura x

lou lou
13-08-2010, 01:16 PM
I never wake my little girl up i let her sleep is that one of the great things about being a childminder is that your own little ones can stay in bed one of the things i would hate having to do is get her up and rush around to get her to a childminders and then have to go to work so it is really quite nice that she does not have to get up.

Cammie Doodle
13-08-2010, 04:32 PM
No I would never never never wake my kids lol:D

RedDragon
13-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi there!
I've got 2 teenagers - so they're ALWAYS in bed late!!!:rolleyes:
I remember when they were little though and I was minding in the holidays. I actually had a parent comment about the fact that my 2 weren't up ready to play with her children!!! The cheek !!!:angry:
Laura x

1 is my assistant so he is up and working with me but the other 2 lie in as long as they want - in fact 1 of them aged 15 woke at 4:35pm the other day!! a record I think-and he had the cheek to say morning

Lol
13-08-2010, 04:49 PM
1 is my assistant so he is up and working with me but the other 2 lie in as long as they want - in fact 1 of them aged 15 woke at 4:35pm the other day!! a record I think-and he had the cheek to say morning

OMG!!! and I thought 2.00 pm was late!! Won't be tellling my 2 about your 15 yr old;)

TammyN
13-08-2010, 05:09 PM
i would leave my 2 if they were still asleep, no such luck unfortunately :blush: if they are up i do make sure they are dressed, my ds likes to sleep in boxers atm!

Roseolivia
13-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Rose is always up as she's an early riser but she's not always dressed, usually dress her after she's had brekkie when the mindees come

aly
13-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I remember when I was going to go on network, the DO told me I had to get them up and ready before mindees came as I had to have my full attention to the mindees {who were 7 & 9 at the time!!}

I left poppy in bed this morning and she woke up and came down about 10 mins after mindee came {7.40am} boys stayed until 9am i think it was just after 2nd mindee turned up.

I think as others have said, its the holidays and if they want to stay in bed why not.!

Mollymop
13-08-2010, 06:26 PM
No it doesn't look unprofessional imo

My children are only just getting up when i start work in the hols at 8am

I had a new mum ask if my 2 were still in bed the other day at 7.50 and I said yes, they are they will be up in a moment.

It's their house/home, why should they have to get up just because I am working - it doesn't have an impact on my work.

Don't you worry about it:) :)

celdemorg
13-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I never wake my children up in the holidays, unless we go somewhere, I have 12 year old daughter, and there's no way I would attempt to wake her up, I'd rather leave her an extra hour, and have her in a good mood for the rest of the day:laughing:

xxx

funfunfun
14-08-2010, 07:41 AM
I leave my in bed too ..............with it being the holidays

when its term time it will return to being up and ready with school etc

Twinklestars
14-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I leave my 2 in bed, on 2 days I pick up some of my mindees and my neighbour stays here if they're in bed, i don't want 2 grumpy kids all day!

Cazz
14-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm glad you asked this question because I'm never sure what to do!

My 2 year old sometimes has restless nights and can be awake for a few hours which results in her falling asleep again 6.00am or 7.00am ish!

I've only ever had children early in the morning on a Tuesday and Friday and have left her in bed on the odd occasion if I felt it was important for her to get a longer sleep - I have wondered if it was okay to do though! I've always brought her clothes downstairs ready and when she wakes literally go and open the stair gate for her to come down and then get her dressed in a corner of the lounge.

The mum of the little boy on a Friday is lovely and I mentioned to her that she had a bad night so I've let her sleep in and she said "I don't blame you - I never wake a sleeping child" (hers are not good sleepers!) so at least I knew that she didn't mind!

The way I see it is as long as the safety of the mindees is not compromised by you attending to your own child when they wake then it's not really an issue - it would be worse if you had a tired grumpy child all day who was demanding all your attention.

Having said that, I had a lady come round at 8.30am this week to sign contracts for her little boy to start in October. As he will be arriving at 8.00am and will need taking to school I made sure my dd was up and dressed before she got here because I didn't want her to think that it might be difficult for me to have my dd ready and as a result her child could arrive at school late! :D