PDA

View Full Version : a possible mindee coming next Thursday

samb
12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Hiya. I have 1 part time temporary mindee at the moment (better than nothing!) and had my first enquiry call today. It is for 3 days a week a boy just 3 months younger than my son so would be great. U got really nervous on the phone and was actually physically shaking!!! It's not the looking after children, paper work etc I worry about as I have woked in child care for 10 years but the whole meeting the family for the first time and waiting to see if they will pick me!!! Any tips?? I am also wishing I hadn't said next Thurs. She is looking for care ASAP but my mum is visiting sat-wed so I just said thurs as it is the next day available but then she'll have a whole week of looking round others! Oh gosh listen to me I am getting myself in a right panic!

sarah707
12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Write yourself a list of things to talk about ... don't forget to listen and make sure parents have plenty of time to watch you with their child.

Ask if they have any questions... and wait... good luck! :D

naomiesian
15-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Don't panic, just be yourself.. I always make sure that when I have parents coming around I get all my certificates and references out for them to look at, I also have a portfolio, polices and procedures folder that I put out for parents to have a flick through, I also set a few things out for the child to play with, and then usually when they come in I sit on the floor and play with the children and answer any questions parents have.
I also allow them to take the copy of my portfolio home with them as I think I have covered everything in there that any parent would want to know regarding the care their child will receive whilst in my care and sometimes the parents can be nervous and forget or just be unsure of questions to ask.
Hope it all goes well for you hun :thumbsup:

samb
16-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I will let you know how it goes. The lady can only come after work at 5:30 so I am hoping my kids are on their best behaviour cos those last couple of hours before bed are usually pretty manic in my house! The potential mindee is similar age to my son though so hoping that will help too.

charlie potato
16-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Good luck, i'm sure things will go well. My house becomes mad from 3.15pm when my stroppy tired 7 yr old gets home,lol. xx

jadylasa
16-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Good luck!
RE your own children.....kids will be kids espessialy in the evening. A tip from me for an evening visit, so I didn't have the added stress of them playing up (we all know they can!) and it doen't put pressure on my kids to "be on their best behavour" is I arrange with my husband that just after the prospective parents arrive he takes them out for "a weekly visit to the grandparents"! I know it a little lie (they do acctually go to grandparents though, the weekly part is a lie!) but it means that you can totaly give your attention to them and their child.
So, the parents still meet my whole family but they are not there for the duration of the visit.

samb
17-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Yes that would be a great idea - my hubby doesn't get in from work til 7:30 though so won't be able to do that one.

samb
19-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Ok so the family came today - mum, dad and little boy. They were all lovely and the boy was so laid back and just joined in with me and my children. I was even impressed by the behviour of my own children - sharing and trying to involve him! So I guess now I just have to wait! I asked if it was ok to ring them next week to see if they had any further thoughts and the Mum said not if we phone you first! (That's good right?!)

I asked a few questions first to get to know a little bit about them whilst the boy was on his dad's lap and then gave them my portfolio to have a look through whilst playing with the children and they asked me things as they came up. I think it went well. They were here for 40 mins which I thought was quite quick really. I'll let you know if and when I hear anything!