PDA

View Full Version : National Lefthanders day

ourmadhouse
12-08-2010, 12:12 PM
TOMORROW!

has anyone got anything planned?

If you google it, it comes up with the official lafthanders day web site with quiz and lefthanded facts and even has a test to see how 'left handed' you are!

bit of fun and gets the children thinking how hard it is to your other (left or right ) hand.

We leftys live it such a different world to you rightys, from opening a tin, sharpening our pencils even most kettles are made for right handers and if your a righty you wouldnt notice just how much we 'leftys' adapt to this

Can remember my mum moaning at me for putting the knives and forks 'the wrong way round' in the draw rhen younger :rolleyes:

most lips in pans are for right handers, microwave doors and washing machines, tumble dryers open right to left so your strong hand is more useful (if right handed) the tv off button on new tv's is on the right
so much more things too.

also wind up toys my also likely get broken by a lefty trying to wind them up. what ever hand you wind up with its always easier to turn the hand outwards than in and little learners do whats natural to them

miffy
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I've done this before - we all tried writing our names with the hand we don't normally use; eating our dinners with the knife and fork in the opposite hands; playing skittles using our other hand to bowl with (tried darts with the older ones but that was a little more dangerous!)

From what I remember there were some good things on the website.

Have fun

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
12-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for that, I'll have a look :thumbsup:

Both myself and Charley are left handed, although I do tend to use my right hand for most things except writing.

Carol xx

Helen Dempster
12-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Also being a lefty myself, the thing I have most trouble with is potato peelers! I know you can buy left handed ones now, but before that was the case, it was a nightmare, quite comical really! also, the pens on chains that banks use are always on the right and the chain never quite stretches over to the left (always take my own pen now!) and the same applies to when you get a delivery and have to sign those silly pad things they have these days, I always get in a tangle with the string attached to the pen! But I LOVE being left handed :) Makes me feel special!

sue m
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm a lefty too, so is one of my sons. :clapping:

Mouse
12-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Two of my sons are left handed. One of them only really uses his left hand for writing/drawing/painting, most other things he does with his right hand and he plays football right-footed.

The other is totally left-handed and left-footed. When he was little I once handed him a drink in his right hand & he couldn't quite figure out how to get it to his mouth! He can't really use his right hand for anything - I suppose like most of us can't do things with our left hand.