PDA

View Full Version : Parent coming to visit...

VINASOL
12-08-2010, 10:15 AM
...tomorrow and I want to make sure I'm ready. The house is gonna be as ready as it possibly can, I'm going to try not be as nervous as I have previously BUT wanted some advice:

1. how long do you think a visit should take?
2. should i go through all policies and stuff there and then or just give them an overal parents' pack?
3. what sort of toys shall i leave out for a 16month old boy?
4. what sort of things do you talk about when parents are there?
5. Do you give discounts for siblings? girl = 3; boy = 16months?

Ooohh so nervous...wish people 'knew' me before they came as i'm worried am not making right impression.

AliceK
12-08-2010, 10:33 AM
...tomorrow and I want to make sure I'm ready. The house is gonna be as ready as it possibly can, I'm going to try not be as nervous as I have previously BUT wanted some advice:

1. how long do you think a visit should take? Mine usually take approx 1 hour.
2. should i go through all policies and stuff there and then or just give them an overal parents' pack? I give them my folder to look at whilst I make them a drink and play with the children. It has about me, certificates, references, menus, and my P&P's are at the back.
3. what sort of toys shall i leave out for a 16month old boy? Leave an assortment from memory when my mindees were that age they loved things like shape sorters.
4. what sort of things do you talk about when parents are there? It's usually very much led by the parents. Make sure you ask about the children, routines, likes / dislikes etc.
5. Do you give discounts for siblings? Personally No I don't but some do. The way I see it they are taking up 2 spaces and are no less work.girl = 3; boy = 16months?

Ooohh so nervous...wish people 'knew' me before they came as i'm worried am not making right impression.

Good Luck, just relax and go with the flow.

xxxx

heatherw
12-08-2010, 10:41 AM

1. how long do you think a visit should take? Depends on the parents, ive had one stay for an hour and a half and another stay for 10 mins. The one who stayed for 10 mins is coming back to sign contracts, the one who stayed longer isn't!
2. should i go through all policies and stuff there and then or just give them an overal parents' pack? I give them the folder to look at, some go through it with a fine tooth comb, some don't even open it.
3. what sort of toys shall i leave out for a 16month old boy? I would leave a variety of blocks, shape sorters and noisy toys!
4. what sort of things do you talk about when parents are there? I tell them about me, where i go, things we do etc, ask about childs routine, things they like/dislike and ask if they have any questions,
5. Do you give discounts for siblings? girl = 3; boy = 16months? Personally i don't but its up to you, siblings still take up the same number of places.

Ive got a parent coming at 6pm tonight so I know how you feel. Remember to relax, play with the lo and be confident in what you do.
Good luck.

miffy
12-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Just relax - don't bombard them with information - most parents want to see how you get on with their kids so give parents your info to look through and play with the kids.

Then you can answer any questions parents have later.

I don't give discounts for siblings either, especially this age as they will be taking up two valuable under 5 spaces.

Good luck to both of you

Miffy xx

fluffysocks
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
yep, all good advice, I still get really nervous and have no clue what to say to people and I have a friend who has been childminding for a few years and met loads of families and she still suffers the nerves.

Just be calm, maybe write a few questions down tonight so you can make sure you gather the info you need to help decide whether you want to take the children on, as much as the parents are interviewing us, we are also interviewing them! But be true to yourself and what you are about and you will do just fine.

As for toys, building blocks, vehicles, shape sorters, animals etc. Things that will withstand the mouth test, chunky to hold and not too noisy so you can still chat to parents. child is probably walking so ensure you've risk assessed for that!

Good Luck and hope all goes well!

gegele
12-08-2010, 03:55 PM
say hello to the parent and welcome the child at his level by his name.

i have my folders ready on table one with my certificate and my portfolio with policy etc.

i offer a brew and i give the parents my folder and concentrate on the child, trying to have him to come and play with me, asking him his favorite toy? etc... look what i've got there do you like cars?....

try to keep it relax. make chitchat coversation with parents is it your only one, do you live far etc.... if they're nervous

you can ask them if they have specific questions, something they'd like to know....
try to impress the kid and the parents will be a doddle!!!!:D :thumbsup:

VINASOL
13-08-2010, 01:41 PM
parent has not arrived yet. Was due at 2pm,although weather is rather miserable...do I keep waiting in or accept it as a no show?

flowerpots
13-08-2010, 01:47 PM
big hug, its probably a no show :(

VINASOL
13-08-2010, 02:26 PM
yep, definitely a no show.

emailed her via childcare.co.uk and she said she forgot :panic:

but then said i lived too far; she doesn't drive and I do live at the top of the hill so would probably be a 15 minute walk....oh well

coffee-time
13-08-2010, 03:10 PM
what a shame:( , they get you all nervous and excited and then dont bother to turn thats awful, probably was meant to be something better will turn up soon im sure!