PDA

View Full Version : Own children? .... manic days! - suggestions please especiallay at collection time

Laura176
11-08-2010, 09:57 PM
I have been registered since June and from June I had 2 mindees (5yr old twins) collection after school for 3 days a week....I found this was fine even with my own 2 children, however my 5yr old son got very excited and loud and manic! I put this down to the change!!

I then took on a 3yr old 4 days a week (mornings only) which was fine .... also contracted to mind his sister 6yrs old in holiday time only.

All was going well although a little manic at times as all the boys love to run around and be noisy and boistrous in the garden!! :laughing:

However I have found the summer holidays a struggle! .... I have 4 children - 6,5,3 and 3 on Tuesdays 8am-5:30pm, the same on Wednesdays, on Thursdays I have 6 children - 6,5,5,5,3 and 3 and on Fridays I have 4 children - 5,5,5,and 3.

I am finding it all very tiring and extremely stressfull although enjoying it! All children want to do different things and I am stuggling to keep them all interested in the same things - I have seperate activities set out for the days, but it seems the children don't want to do anything I have out!!

Also, all the children are very tired as it is school holidays and there are lots of arguments, tale telling, crying etc etc :panic:
Any advice would be really good.

Also my really big problem is collecting time! Both sets of parents arrive at the same time and all hell breaks loose :blush: ..... all the children are shouting trying to tell parents what they have done and everything becomes a bit disoganised and I feel it is giving the incorrect impression of how the rest of the day is here .............. If anybody has any tips on controlling this a little better I would be grateful

Sorry to go on, but I am dreading tomorrow now as it is my busiest day (also have a 14yr old tomorrow!!)

SammyM
12-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Hi, I've just started doorstep drop off and collection with all of mine, I explained to the parents that I was going to do this, mainly because the kids don't want to get their shoes on, and go home, and start playing up as soon as mom or dad come. So 5 mins before parents are due, I get them to get their shoes coats on etc and then they are ready for a quick handover on the doorstep. I've had really positive feedback from the parents ( a lot of whom just dreaded the 'I don't want to go home yet' arguement) and I've made it clear of course I'm always available for a chat should they ever need to discuss things with me, plus if I have parents coming at the same time they just have to wait until its their turn!!! Plus it stops the parents invading my home for 1/2 an hour when I have things to do!!

Good luck! :)

love381
12-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi there,
Sounds like really busy times and I'm glad you are enjoying it even though it's chaos sometimes. Have you tried a quick daily diary sheet or even a post-it with the important things the children have done. If it's just a sheet of info for the parents to take away, then it doesn't matter if they return it. I used to do a daily diary book, but it never came back!! The sheet simply means the parents/carers can look when they are ready, children carry it to the car/out with the parents when they leave and there is less hassle as they are trying to tell parents things. As long as the child has their paper when the parent turns up, they leave quite happily and normally quite quietly. Some of the older children have "helped" to add things to their day sheets. It's been quite successful really. x

sarah707
12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
You really need to take control of the busy times... you are in charge, not the parents or the children!!

Speak to the children about your expectations quietly during the day and work out a routine with them...

Then about 10 mins before parents are due have a tidy round, make sure your child is busy and understands that you are busy for a while and need time to get things done...

Then welcome parents at the door, ask children to remember the routine and get organised and gently repeat your expectations about their behaviour.

If one set of parents arrive at the same time as another, ask them quietly and respectfully if they wouldn't mind please waiting so you can manage one family's needs at a time and help the children stay calm.

Explain you have risk assessed the situation and it is clearly getting dangerous. You are worried about children hurting each other / running off / breaking things... whatever.

Hopefully they will see you are taking control of the situation and respect your wishes.

Good luck! :D

funfunfun
12-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I have a safty gate on my living room door .

I open the front door without opening the gate :)

I let parents stand in the porch bit , thats it as i have other children in the house ........i started the same time as you .......I will lift the child over the gate or open it slightly for the child to go through to mum/dad

If my children kick off at collection times i firmly tell them it's not appropriate interupting etc etc .

my oldest like's to ask random questions at collection . My youngest wants everything under the sun however they do seem to be calming down though i have to say that . Children need time to adjust though it's still quite new for them .

Good luck

Laura176
12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Thank You for all your advice .... had had talks with all 6 children throughout the day today about collection time and reinforced at dinner time.

The new plan is ..... everybody waits in the lounge and they choose a day each to be "teacher" and have story time (one sits infront of others "reading" a story) then when the doorbell goes they must all continue to play and not leave the room (door shut) until I come to get them.

It worked really well today - gave me time to tell parents what we have been doing, had to eat etc and I am not so in need of a glass of wine now they have all gone :laughing:

Now just need to address the behaviour of my 5 year old throughout the day :panic: ...not such an easy task :(