PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium in Minding space

Bernie
11-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi All,

We are thinking about upgrading our goldfish 'tank' to a big aqaurium. The only place it will be able to be placed will be in the living room.

It will be fantastic for the children and a great educational source, but as always I am worried about safety with all the water and the size.

I will ensure that all cables are safe and there will be a lid. Obviously I will have to update my risk assessments but has anyone else come across any issues with having an aquarium in there minding space? And other safety concerns I haven't thought of?

Many Thanks for your help.

TheBTeam
11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
We have a 4ft aquarium in our living room, but we have two sofas in a l shape and it is protected by one side of each iyswim, then we have a small coffee table in front of it so that children dont get between where the ends of the sofas are towards the tank.

I guess how much of a hazard it is depends on exactly where it is placed, I have a no running indoors rule, but you will have to give thought to what might happen if a child trips etc.

OFSTED never mentioned my fish tank at all and I have had an OFSTED inspector here on at least 7 occasions with dh and I over the years.

keeks
11-08-2010, 08:51 PM
It should be fine as long as you risk assess. We have had a fish tank at child height for 15 years at my nursery. Ofsted have never had any concerns about it. The children love it and often stand watching our fish.

xx

miffy
11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I was once told by an under 8's officer (before Ofsted) that my fish tank which was not in the minding space should have a lockable lid :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Tink
24-08-2010, 07:03 AM
I have a large 3ft fish tank in my living room, Ofsted lady loved it, she asked me more about that that what i actually do :laughing:

mrs robbie williams
24-08-2010, 07:07 AM
We have a 3ft fish tank in the play room and the children really enjoy watching the fish. However when Ofsted came round to do my pre-reg she was concerned it wasnt safety glass so before they come round again to do my inspection I need to somehow cover it with a safety film :rolleyes: Glad i read this thread though because I havent risk assessed it separately from the play room :eek: best do that right now :blush:

miss mopple
24-08-2010, 07:10 AM
I have 2 in my lounge and its never been a problem. They are on stands which are bolted to the walls and obviously have lids to prevent access. Make sure all fish food etc is locked away though as some can be toxic to humans

christine e
24-08-2010, 07:11 AM
I was once told by an under 8's officer (before Ofsted) that my fish tank which was not in the minding space should have a lockable lid :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Hi Miffy

Think I can imagine which one it was because she suggested that a friend of mine but clingfilm over the top of her tank to stop the children putting thier head inside!:panic: My friend did point out that this would stop oxygen getting to them and they would die!

Cx

angeldelight
24-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Hi Miffy

Think I can imagine which one it was because she suggested that a friend of mine but clingfilm over the top of her tank to stop the children putting thier head inside!:panic: My friend did point out that this would stop oxygen getting to them and they would die!

Cx

OMG :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xxx

Nicky.
08-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Glad i found this post im looking at getting one for my hubby but diddnt know how ofsted would be about it.

Tunja
08-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Glad i found this post im looking at getting one for my hubby but diddnt know how ofsted would be about it.
I have three large tanks and a pond sharing space with mindees. Ofsted/social services have always been happy with this.

sallyschildmind
08-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I have a fish tank and Ofsted were happy with it at my pre-reg I wrote a risk assessment and showed her where I keep the food out of sight of the children