PDA

View Full Version : Spring cleaning the natural way

sarah707
03-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Lots of tips and advice... :D

http://www.netmums.com/h/n/HOMELIFE/HOME/ALL/983/

Cammie Doodle
03-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks Sarah, the bit about bicarb is good its an amazing cleaning product, mix it with vinegar and it fizzes (good experiment with the older kids too lol) cleans cookers drains etc without harming anyone or anything. Will read it all when I get more time.;)

miffy
03-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Thanks Sarah will have a good look later

miffy xx

crazybones
03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Do we have to clean every Spring? :p

Monkey1
03-04-2008, 07:11 AM
I plan on doing a bit of spring cleaning at the weekend!
Anthea Turners book that went with her tv series is ace for ideas and inspiration!

Tatia
03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I've gone back to an all-purpose cleaner I used to use. I simmer vinegar in a saucepan with a bunch of rosemary. Allow to cool, strain and pour into spray bottle then top up with boiled, cool water. It's better than anti-bac stuff you get at shops and smells nicer, too. Errr, well, it can get up your nose a bit when simmering on the stove, though.:laughing:

Rosemary has natural anti-bac properties. I'm in the midst of writing a policy just for OFSTED about why I don't use anti-bac cleaners.

I also mix vinegar with a dash of lemon juice for cleaning windows and mirrors. Scrunched up newspaper is better than a cloth for avoiding streaks.

And olive oil is fantastic for cleaning and polishing real wooden furniture. I had an old oak table and it worked a treat.

Also sprinkle a few drops of essential oil into bicarb of soda, shake well and sprinkle on carpets before running the hoover. Lavender is a nice scent (yuck, avoid ylang ylang though!).

Twinkles
03-04-2008, 08:35 AM
White vinegar is a great descaler for kettles.

Thanks for that Sarah I will have a proper look later.

Pipsqueak
03-04-2008, 10:11 AM
open the doors and let the wind blow the cobwebs away???:D ;)

thank you Sarah

Minnie Minx
03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
i'd much prefer it if squirrels, hedgehogs and birdies came into my flat and did the cleaning like they do on the tv advert with the woman living in the flat (sorry can't think of what the advert was for)

On a serious note i just use stardrops and dettol for all my cleaning needs :) (except loo where i won't use anything but demestos)

xxx