PDA

View Full Version : Shocked

snufflepuff
11-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Parent just called to say shes not feeling well today. She had booked it as an extra day and said will she still have to pay me. I said yes, im very sorry, but as it's been booked she will need to pay still. So she said fine she will see me at 9am. She is bringing LO as usual.
Was i right to say she should still pay?
I almost said not to worry about it but i need to start getting tough, she is walking all over me, always wanting something for nothing and messing me about- changing days with little or no notice and so on.

singlewiththree
11-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Yes you are right and well done for sticking to your guns, if she has booked an extra session then she must pay

cas2805
11-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Yes i agree. Surely she would want to be at home with peace and quiet anyway, your mindee would get lots more attention with you, so you did the right thing

snufflepuff
11-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Yes i agree. Surely she would want to be at home with peace and quiet anyway, your mindee would get lots more attention with you, so you did the right thing

She is going in to work ill, she can't afford to pay me otherwise and doesnt get sick pay.

maryp0ppins
11-08-2010, 07:35 AM
She is going in to work ill, she can't afford to pay me otherwise and doesnt get sick pay.

Sometimes life's a Bi:censored: h. Good on you for stating the day was booked with her....
She may be funny with you at drop off time but don't let it bug you. Your business your rules :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
11-08-2010, 07:37 AM
She may be funny with you at drop off time but don't let it bug you

Im actually terrified about drop off time! She is not the type of person you want to get on the wrong side of, and can be very blunt and rude. I have always been more than flexible for her and have never had to stand up to her before.

love381
11-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Just be brave and strong, you've stood your ground with your rules and that's exactly what you should do! It'll only be a very short time for drop off and then the rest of the day is yours!! DON'T let it ruin you/your day!!!! x

maryp0ppins
11-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Im actually terrified about drop off time! She is not the type of person you want to get on the wrong side of, and can be very blunt and rude. I have always been more than flexible for her and have never had to stand up to her before.

Snufflepuff...if it wasn't for you she wouldn't be going into a job....you look after her child.....

I would put on a brave face (maryp0ppins style :D ) & act as if nothing has happened. If she Say's anything to you remind her she had booked it before hand & for all she knows you could have turned down another child who needed you on that same!! ?

snufflepuff
11-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Thank you Mary Poppins. :)

snufflepuff
11-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Well, she wasn't rude to me. But she did end up crying and telling me she thought her depression was coming back- money troubles, hating her new job, tax credits messing her around, LO not sleeping well and so on, and its all taking its toll. I felt terrible, poor woman. I want to be able to offer some support but what can i do that will help? Apart from letting her off her fees to help with the money situation but i can't do that!

carol cameron
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I understand how hard it can be when we know are parents are going through a hard time but remember A) the parent wouldn't work for free and B) if she cried in Tescos they wouldn't say "ok take your shopping home and we won't charge you". Good luck:)

carol cameron
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I understand how hard it can be when we know parents are going through a hard time but remember A) the parent wouldn't work for free and B) if she cried in Tescos they wouldn't say "ok take your shopping home and we won't charge you". Good luck:)

maryp0ppins
11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I understand how hard it can be when we know parents are going through a hard time but remember A) the parent wouldn't work for free and B) if she cried in Tescos they wouldn't say "ok take your shopping home and we won't charge you". Good luck:)

Well put Carol :magnificent:

samanthat6987
11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Maybe give her some information on where to get help, to maintain a professional distance.?

In the past I have waived the extra session fee because the child was ill the contracted day and then extra day followed.

Mookins
11-08-2010, 09:59 AM

very well said indeed...unfortunatly her tears wont pay your bills

xx

Erika
11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Rude, stroppy and when all else fails, turn the tears on. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Turn it around. If my childminder asked me to pay for a day that she'd taken off because she was "depressed" and having money trouble, would I pay her? Course not. We have a contract which we work in accordance with. My problems aren't her problems and vice versa.

Don't let this woman manipulate you.

SammyM
11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I felt terrible, poor woman. I want to be able to offer some support but what can i do that will help?

You are opening up your home to her child and giving it a warm, loving, safe enviroment for an hourly fee less than the minimum wage - I would say you are doing more than enough!!

Curly Quavers
11-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I think you did the correct thing especially under the circumstance that she is a parent who messes you about.

If it had been one of the better customers who has a bit of give and take and value me then I would have said not to bother from them. IYSWIM

Curly Quavers
11-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Don't let this woman manipulate you.

For a long time I believed everything people said to me. All the sob stories under the sun but soon found of the people will tell you anything.

I totally agree with the above.

Just becuase people feel then need to tell you their business does not automatically mean they are telling the truth.

Erika
12-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Just becuase people feel then need to tell you their business does not automatically mean they are telling the truth.

And even when they are - it's not your responsibility to sort out their problems for them

sarahlorraine73
12-08-2010, 08:33 PM
You are opening up your home to her child and giving it a warm, loving, safe enviroment for an hourly fee less than the minimum wage - I would say you are doing more than enough!!

Very well put SammyM. Couldn't agree more